Confused - am I eating too much?

After starting with MyFitnesspal, the recommendation was that I should eat 1500 calories a day. I have been following that religiously for 4 days, buying frozen foods that had an exact calorie count on it. I have also incorporated walking for an hour each in the morning and evening. This morning, I weighed myself thinking my weight would finally be under 200 (it was 200 when I started and I really wanted to see it go down to 1 something. However, it was 201.

I was so upset and discouraged because even dieting is not helping me to lose weight so I feel like there is no hope that I will ever be at a healthy weight. So all day today I just ate a lot of junk food and didn't even bother counting the calories, since I feel like dieting is going to make me gain weight anyways.

So - anyone with experience - am I eating too much? Or what is going on here?

Replies

• ccarluc99
    ccarluc99 Posts: 1 Member
    I would see what you are at after a full week. If you are still the same weight I would lower your calorie intake. 1500 seems a little high. Always remember to weigh yourself at the same time of day each week. Your weigh fluctuates constantly throughout the day and week. Keep at it! we didn't put this weight on in a day and it will take time to come off. It is not a quick fix :)
  • ConfusedDieter
    ConfusedDieter Posts: 11 Member
    OK I will wait more time I guess...I know it's only been 4 days BUT I thought that it takes 3500 extra calories to gain 1 pound. I have not been going over the 1500 calories so how is that possible? I don't get it. So you think it might be sodium?
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    OK I will wait more time I guess...I know it's only been 4 days BUT I thought that it takes 3500 extra calories to gain 1 pound. I have not been going over the 1500 calories so how is that possible? I don't get it. So you think it might be sodium?

Your weight can fluctuate several pounds per week based on how much water you're holding (or what you're wearing, or if you ate, or if you drank something). One pound is a small difference and really isn't something to worry about in a four day period.
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Don't give up!
    I'm averaging 1700 calories a day and I'm losing an average of a pound a week. Some weeks I gain a few pounds, some weeks I lose a few pounds but the average is a 1 pound loss. You have to give it time and you have to allow for some fluctuations in your weight. So many factors can affect the number on your scale (water, bloating, weight of the food in your digestive track, muscle gain e.t.c.). Once you decide to make this a lifetime commitment, a week won't matter much.
  • Redwineandmuscles
    Redwineandmuscles Posts: 46 Member
    No you are not eating too much. Keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing (if you like your plan). As I lost weight the scale went up and down daily, but over two months the trend was down. Also, if you eat too much one day, it won't really make you gain a pound, even if the scale makes it seem like you did. Just pull up your socks and detour back to your plan again. You've got this.
  • ConfusedDieter
    No you are not eating too much. Keep doing EXACTLY what you are doing (if you like your plan). As I lost weight the scale went up and down daily, but over two months the trend was down. Also, if you eat too much one day, it won't really make you gain a pound, even if the scale makes it seem like you did. Just pull up your socks and detour back to your plan again. You've got this.

Thanks. Can anyone relate to how I'm feeling emotionally right now? I'm such a wreck. I woke up this morning feeling so optimistic, feeling like I was finally on my way to a healthy weight. My attitude was there is no deadline, as long as I am maintaining a caloric deficit every day. And I was totally crushed and shocked when I saw the weight go up because I thought it would be like 199.9 or something you know?
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    I totally understand how you feel, but 4 days isn't enough time to say your calorie reduction isn't working. Now if it's 2 months, then that's another story. I have lost and regained the same 3-4 lbs for 7 months. It took awhile to figure out what works for me. Not everyone loses weight as easily as most people. Just make sure to log all your food, eat back a small portion of your exercise calories and be mindful of your sodium intake. Too much sodium can make you retain water which can make the scale go up.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Thanks. Can anyone relate to how I'm feeling emotionally right now? I'm such a wreck. I woke up this morning feeling so optimistic, feeling like I was finally on my way to a healthy weight. My attitude was there is no deadline, as long as I am maintaining a caloric deficit every day. And I was totally crushed and shocked when I saw the weight go up because I thought it would be like 199.9 or something you know?

I think many of us can relate to how you're feeling. You do everything right and the reward is seeing a lower number when you step on the scale, and it sucks when it doesn't show you what you want to see. I must have a dozen different looks of disgust, frustration and disappointment that come across my face when i see the scale number not move or go up lol But it is what it is, it would be so much easier to give up, but i want this weight loss, i want it baaad :lol:

Luckily for you, it's only been 4 days, so way too early to start panicking just yet. Some people don't start to lose until 4-6 weeks in and then poof, weight loss finally starts happening on a regular basis.

Keep doing what you're doing and be patient. Keep your logging tight and as accurate as possible, so you can remove any doubt that you're eating too much (more than 1500 calories), second guessing will do your head in.

• ConfusedDieter

I think many of us can relate to how you're feeling. You do everything right and the reward is seeing a lower number when you step on the scale, and it sucks when it doesn't show you what you want to see. I must have a dozen different looks of disgust, frustration and disappointment that come across my face when i see the scale number not move or go up lol But it is what it is, it would be so much easier to give up, but i want this weight loss, i want it baaad :lol:

Luckily for you, it's only been 4 days, so way too early to start panicking just yet. Some people don't start to lose until 4-6 weeks in and then poof, weight loss finally starts happening on a regular basis.

Keep doing what you're doing and be patient. Keep your logging tight and as accurate as possible, so you can remove any doubt that you're eating too much (more than 1500 calories), second guessing will do your head in.

Thank you for understanding how I feel :/ I admire you for keeping at it.

I just weighed myself again and my weight was literally 206 lb, I'm not joking. So I gained 5 lb in one day. I will admit I had a lot of junk food. However I went back and counted the calories of everything and it was 3,000 calories. I thought it took 3,500 calories OVEREATING to gain 1 pound. I can't do this any more. I keep gaining weight arbitrarily. Either that or there is something wrong with me and my metabolism is really low like 300 calories a day or something. I have had it. I tried to get to a healthy weight but my weight keeps going up arbitrarily.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You need to give yourself some time. Four days isn't long enough to tell if things are working the way they should. And yeah, you did not gain five pounds of fat in one day. That's likely food weight plus excess water if you ate high in carbs/sodium.

Please take a look at this thread to get a better glimpse of what we're saying. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear. Patience is one of the necessities when it comes to losing weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    5 lbs is not unheard of, especially if you had a significant amount of sodium the day before.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2016
    ccarluc99 wrote: »
    I would see what you are at after a full week. If you are still the same weight I would lower your calorie intake. 1500 seems a little high. Always remember to weigh yourself at the same time of day each week. Your weigh fluctuates constantly throughout the day and week. Keep at it! we didn't put this weight on in a day and it will take time to come off. It is not a quick fix :)

Without knowing OP's stats, it is not possible to say 1500 sounds high. I am 5'3" and am losing at 1500-1700 calories.

OP I would keep it up and give it more time. I would also ditch the frozen food though and buy a food scale. Weigh everything and it will be accurate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes, you are eating too much, over time, when you don't stick to your diet for more than four days and overeat on the fifth.

Weight fluctuates. Your real weight is a range, not a number.
  • WinnieHue
    WinnieHue Posts: 3 Member
    Be patient and disciplined ! Come on..you can do it!