Recovering from deadlifts

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Been doing 3 sets of everything for 2 months, yesterday I did 5 - I was exhausted and starving afterwards and i still am today, also very achey. Is there an easy way to get over this or do I just have to put up with it? Is 5 sets of deadlifts too much?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    The two most well known novice strength development programs -- Starting Strength and Stronglifts -- only recommend ONE set of 5 reps at MAX for dead lifts.

You don't say how many reps you are doing per set but if you are sore and not recovering w/in 24-48 hrs you are definitely doing TOO MUCH and should cut back.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    5 reps, feeling a bit better already so hopefully just adjusting to extra. Thank you
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Definitely strong lifts says 1 set of 5 is enough. I do warmups of DL's 3 sets at lower weights and then 1 set at the weight I'm supposed to lift that day. Friday's set was brutal. I couldn't imagine doing 4 more, I think I would have hurt myself.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Sometimes DOMS last for a few days. You'll adapt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I deadlift two times per week, one day higher rep, one day lower. I'm hungry the next day for sure, at least after lifting closer to my 1rm. DOMs get better over time. I like to make sure my protein is high, and I take magnesium for recovery. I also limit my leg accessory work. You have to take a look at your overall program and goals.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with 5x5 deadlifts. But, that's probably more than what most people need - especially as the weight gets heavier. That's a good recipe for getting fatigued, form going downhill, and getting hurt. I speak from experience.

That said, you added 2 more sets. I would expect you to be more achey and hungrier.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Cool thanks everyone
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP are you doing Strong Lifts or another program?

Don't forget you don't have to do 5x5 either, you could do 3x5, 3x3, 3x6 at lighter weight. What are your goals?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i deadlift once a week, more like 5 sets of 1 rep after my warmup sets which are usually a set of 8, 5 and a couple triples and then i hit about 5 heavy singles.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    The 5 x 5 inc warm up weights but I'm quiet new so warm up is fairly similar to max still. I'd like to get stronger and build more muscle on my legs and core.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I'd like to do strong lifts but haven't got into over head or bench presses yet - kind of hoped the extra deadlifts would compensate. I've just got a book about building core strength and it seems to focus on lots of different exercises rather than a few compound lifts so that's confused me a bit.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    The 5 x 5 inc warm up weights but I'm quiet new so warm up is fairly similar to max still. I'd like to get stronger and build more muscle on my legs and core.

what do yo mean your warmup is similar to your max, do you mean the weight? your warmups should be no where near your max or they aren't warmups
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'd like to do strong lifts but haven't got into over head or bench presses yet - kind of hoped the extra deadlifts would compensate. I've just got a book about building core strength and it seems to focus on lots of different exercises rather than a few compound lifts so that's confused me a bit.

How would extra deadlifts compensate for an overhead press or a bench press? I remember some of your posts. I applaud you for learning. A book about core strength is probably going to be very different from a book about strength training in general
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never done 5x5 deadlifts. I prefer higher reps (w/lower weight) like 5x6-8 or 4x8-12. If I do 5 reps it's usually 3 sets, ramping up to a max set and not straight sets.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah I can't remember the last time I did 5x5 deadlifts. I keep my weight the same across
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I was after the new rules book but couldn't get hold of it, I just want to learn all about it really not necessarily follow the programme they suggest. I think SL would be best for me I just need to force myself to try bench and overhead - I still find it intimidating which is why I got the books, I don't want to get it wrong.
    My max on DL is only 40k so there's not really much to work up to yet.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I was after the new rules book but couldn't get hold of it, I just want to learn all about it really not necessarily follow the programme they suggest. I think SL would be best for me I just need to force myself to try bench and overhead - I still find it intimidating which is why I got the books, I don't want to get it wrong.
    My max on DL is only 40k so there's not really much to work up to yet.

if 40kg is your max, then thats something to work up to. if you have 5 sets, you could start with bw, 10kg, 20kg 30kg and then your max set. by the time you hit that last set, you're nicely warm and ready for that heavy set. and you aren't so beat up that you're super sore. In this instance, five sets isn't too much . If you just jump into 5 sets of your 40kg, then yes its too much.