Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :) !
    I am kinda worried as some sources imply that they contain calories

Nah it's BS. I've been vaping for around 12mths and it hasn't affected my weight at all.

Awesome! How much do you vape tho in 1 day?

I don't know... Alot! The damn thing is permanently glued to my hand. I fill it up around 4 times a day.

This is still a little vague without an actual ml reference. There are tanks as small as half a mil, and some as large as 5 (probably bigger, but not that I've personally seen).

Personally, I run through about 20 ml per day with my RDA at 75 watts. I also make my own liquids though, because running through that much and using store bought, would actually cost me almost as much as my old three-pack per day smoking habit.

Well in your case this would be interesting to find out.

My boyfriend vapes about the same amount too.

Vg has 22 calories in every 5 ml. We use velvet clouds which steeps organic fruit/etc. for flavor as opposed to candy flavoring (like Loran's which is a pretty popular one) so I don't think we have excess cals there. Obviously it wills depend on the juice.

Then there's the fact that it changes form when you inhale it, you exhale it, and how much is actually absorbed? My feeling is probably very little because of the clouds I'm chucking out.

So assuming max worst case scenario with vaping a LOT of juice like Gallow and my boyfriend that's an extra... 80 cals?

P.s. For someone like myself it's max worst case an extra 20-ish

Really, it would be a bit more convoluted than that. First, I run a 50/50 VG/PG blend, and PG runs about 27 kcal per 5 ml, when consumed as a sweetener. However, with it being an alcohol, I'd say that it's probably more readily absorbed by the lungs than VG is (there's a reason some people cut their relaxation vapes with very small amounts of vodka).

I'd be interested to see some actual absorption rates for each though, if either can be found. I turned up a whole bunch of off the cuff statements, but no actual ratios (not even ballpark).

Second, I have no real way of knowing how much of that I'm actually pulling in, vs. what's being lost through the condensing chamber, my vents, mild seepage, etc.

Third, I don't think we're absorbing even half of the VG. It's pure carbohydrate, and I have spoken to many keto vapers. None of which have had problems with keto, even when being heavy vapers running 95% VG blends.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Nah it's BS. I've been vaping for around 12mths and it hasn't affected my weight at all.

I don't know... Alot! The damn thing is permanently glued to my hand. I fill it up around 4 times a day.

This is still a little vague without an actual ml reference. There are tanks as small as half a mil, and some as large as 5 (probably bigger, but not that I've personally seen).

Personally, I run through about 20 ml per day with my RDA at 75 watts. I also make my own liquids though, because running through that much and using store bought, would actually cost me almost as much as my old three-pack per day smoking habit.

Vg has 22 calories in every 5 ml. We use velvet clouds which steeps organic fruit/etc. for flavor as opposed to candy flavoring (like Loran's which is a pretty popular one) so I don't think we have excess cals there. Obviously it wills depend on the juice.

Then there's the fact that it changes form when you inhale it, you exhale it, and how much is actually absorbed? My feeling is probably very little because of the clouds I'm chucking out.

So assuming max worst case scenario with vaping a LOT of juice like Gallow and my boyfriend that's an extra... 80 cals?

Really, it would be a bit more convoluted than that. First, I run a 50/50 VG/PG blend, and PG runs about 27 kcal per 5 ml, when consumed as a sweetener. However, with it being an alcohol, I'd say that it's probably more readily absorbed by the lungs than VG is (there's a reason some people cut their relaxation vapes with very small amounts of vodka).

I'd be interested to see some actual absorption rates for each though, if either can be found. I turned up a whole bunch of off the cuff statements, but no actual ratios (not even ballpark).

Second, I have no real way of knowing how much of that I'm actually pulling in, vs. what's being lost through the condensing chamber, my vents, mild seepage, etc.

Third, I don't think we're absorbing even half of the VG. It's pure carbohydrate, and I have spoken to many keto vapers. None of which have had problems with keto, even when being heavy vapers running 95% VG blends.

Yeah, that's interesting. I'd like to see more information on this.

I have to say my opinion would be that it is so very small that it's negligible.

edit: in other words i have no clue, but i'm just guessing. :wink:
  • rainbowbow
    Options

But is it even possible to inhale calories?

Yes, we know this is the case with people who've inhaled alcohol.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive used an e cig for 3 years. lost 80 pounds in the past 2 years.

mine is not fruit or candy flavored, its menthol like i used to smoke.

im not even sure how you would gain weight though BREATHING something, but if you did it would be so negligible, it would be a moot point. if your friends are gaining weight, its because they are eating more.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I vape (after smoking for almost 30 years) almost 2 years in. I go through about 10ml a day.

50/50 mix 1mg nicotine, fruit flavour or ice cream or other flavours.

Hasn't made me gain or lose weight...and it hasn't hurt my cardio if anything it helped...

The reason I went to vaping was because my lungs hurt after a bike ride and I wanted to be fit...lungs don't hurt at all now after any cardio.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

My liquid holder thingamybob holds 2.5ml, so i go through around 10ml a day. We make up a 30ml bottle of:

10ml favour
    7ml PG
    5ml VG
    3ml nicotene

Here's a pic. Black one is mine and silver one is hubbies
    jif20psajpgp.png
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    looks like a nautilus tank...love those.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    looks like a nautilus tank...love those.

Good eye stef :smiley: Yes it is a nautilus.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh, and those aren't my big dirty hands and hairy arms in the pic, they're hubbies. In case anyone was wondering :tongue:
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't know of any connection between vaping & weight gain. Having said that, I strongly doubt that there is any health benefit to doing it beyond aiding in smoking cessation. There is nothing in the vapor your body needs. Then again, I have COPD as a result of long-time smoking, and therefore a bit of a bias against nicotine exposure in general. And as noted by at least one other commenter, it is not uncommon for the devices to malfunction - sometimes spectacularly...............
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I wouldn't call vaping healthy, or particularly unhealthy either, other than the nicotine which we are slowly reducing to zero.
    I chose between cigarettes and vaping, and the latter was the lesser of two evils. Ideally we would quit smoking cold turkey and not replace one habit with another one... But there's that pesky willpower issue that i need to deal with.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nicotine's affect on metabolism is to increase it, not decrease it. It's one of the factors identified in why people gain weight after quitting tobacco. It's also why runway models infamously smoke. Or vape now, perhaps.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Replacing one habit with another - I can relate to that. Nearly 10 years of nicotine lozenges here.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Replacing one habit with another - I can relate to that. Nearly 10 years of nicotine lozenges here.

My sister quit smoking over 2 years ago and she still ferociously chews on nicorette gum constantly.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am probably gonna sound stupid but do ecigs and vaping make you gain weight? My friends claimed they do.

Nope.

Setting aside any medical conditions that require doctor's attention, the only thing that causes weight gain is eating too much. However, perhaps they increase one's appetite, and then one make the decision to overeat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Dgydad wrote: »
    Don't know of any connection between vaping & weight gain. Having said that, I strongly doubt that there is any health benefit to doing it beyond aiding in smoking cessation. There is nothing in the vapor your body needs. Then again, I have COPD as a result of long-time smoking, and therefore a bit of a bias against nicotine exposure in general. And as noted by at least one other commenter, it is not uncommon for the devices to malfunction - sometimes spectacularly...............

Nicotine doesn't cause COPD tho...

It's all the other chemicals in cigarettes that causes the issues.

There over 4000 known chemicals in tobacco that people smoke...imagine....4000....tar being the main culprit of issues with the lungs.

I am down to 1mg of nicotine may never go to 0...may go back up too who knows. There actually are no studies (save one that I am aware of) on just nicotine it is usually a study on nicotine in cigarettes.

It is less common for mods to explode than bic lighters...
  • rainbowbow
    edited July 2016
    Options

There over 4000 known chemicals in tobacco that people smoke...imagine....4000....tar being the main culprit of issues with the lungs.

I am down to 1mg of nicotine may never go to 0...may go back up too who knows. There actually are no studies (save one that I am aware of) on just nicotine it is usually a study on nicotine in cigarettes.

Not only this, but there are no known carcinogens in e-juice.

The people who make these claims are just grasping at straws here. If you had the option to continue to smoke (something you enjoy and don't want to stop doing) but were able to do it without giving yourself cancer, you wouldn't do it? What about if you didn't suffer with terrible breathing problems? This is what vaping gives to people.

It's not like we're vaping because it's more beneficial than doing nothing, we're vaping because it's enjoyable and 95% better for you than smoking cigarettes.

Nicotine itself is no more addictive than caffeine. It's not the nicotine in the cigarrettes that kills you, it's the thousands of other (known) toxic chemicals and cancer causing substances. Not to mention the fact that you are breathing in actual smoke.

As far as e-cigs blowing up, this only happens to stupid people who have no clue about battery safety. If we gave them flashlights, or other electronic devices where they have to handle batteries safely the same thing would happen. There's nothing remarkable about e-cigs, it's the batteries that can potentially be dangerous.

Pro-tip: if you don't want a battery to blow up, follow proper safety.

edit: PS. there are 30 known cases of e-cigs blowing up. 80% were due to improper charging (like using a different charger) and the other cases were due to improper battery practices. There are atleast 3 million e-cig users in the United States alone. Think about how many people are vaping in other countries all over the world. I don't know about you, but those statistics are pretty great.

I mean, in comparison tobacco kills 480,000 every year and there are on average 7,500 house fires started by cigarettes each year.

http://info-electronic-cigarette.com/e-cigarette-explosions-an-in-depth-investigation/
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/electronic-cigarette-statistics/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Not only this, but there are no known carcinogens in e-juice.

The people who make these claims are just grasping at straws here. If you had the option to continue to smoke (something you enjoy and don't want to stop doing) but were able to do it without giving yourself cancer, you wouldn't do it? What about if you didn't suffer with terrible breathing problems? This is what vaping gives to people.

It's not like we're vaping because it's more beneficial than doing nothing, we're vaping because it's enjoyable and 95% better for you than smoking cigarettes.

Nicotine itself is no more addictive than caffeine. It's not the nicotine in the cigarrettes that kills you, it's the thousands of other (known) toxic chemicals and cancer causing substances. Not to mention the fact that you are breathing in actual smoke.

As far as e-cigs blowing up, this only happens to stupid people who have no clue about battery safety. If we gave them flashlights, or other electronic devices where they have to handle batteries safely the same thing would happen. There's nothing remarkable about e-cigs, it's the batteries that can potentially be dangerous.

Pro-tip: if you don't want a battery to blow up, follow proper safety.

edit: PS. there are 30 known cases of e-cigs blowing up. 80% were due to improper charging (like using a different charger) and the other cases were due to improper battery practices. There are atleast 3 million e-cig users in the United States alone. Think about how many people are vaping in other countries all over the world. I don't know about you, but those statistics are pretty great.

I mean, in comparison tobacco kills 480,000 every year and there are on average 7,500 house fires started by cigarettes each year.

http://info-electronic-cigarette.com/e-cigarette-explosions-an-in-depth-investigation/
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/electronic-cigarette-statistics/

Thank you for beating me to the punch on this. I've seen several people just dropping their 18650s into their pockets, with change rattling around in the bottom. These are the kind of people who make me wish we could just ban warning labels and lawsuits for a couple of years.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Calories are the unit used to measure the energy content of food, so unless you are eating or drinking the liquid, I can't see how you can get any calories from smoking anything tbh.

Congrats to anyone who's given up tobacco, as an ex-smoker I know it's a massive improvement for your health.

It would be easy to have misplaced confidence in PHE reports though - they are now 5, nearly 6yrs old.

Sorry, this is BS. There have been many tests done on vaping as a matter of fact the UK is really pioneering tests for vapers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e-cigarettes-an-evidence-update

Not to mention that many many smokers see improvements in their cardiorespiratory health. I mean think about it, you're inhaling vapor... not ash/smoke/burned organic material. I would compare it to sitting on the downwind side of a campfire vs. sitting next to a humidifier.

The science for vaping is unclear and caution should be exercised here. It's absolutely got to be better than tobacco when it comes to preventing tobacco related illnesses, and whilst that's huge, that's about it, there's a lot of unknowns here - there's never been any long-term studies on EC user health, and like tobacco-related illnesses, they tend not to show up in users for quite a while.

Here's some more recent science >> November 2019: Studies have shown that mice exposed to vaping for 54 weeks increased their risk of cancer and also that mice exposed for four months (so a quarter of their life) had seriously damaged immune cells - when these mice were exposed to flu, they died as a result of a weakened immune system) https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/11/how-safe-vaping-new-human-studies-assess-chronic-harm-heart-and-lungs

September 2019 "....health effects of inhaling flavoring chemicals contained in popular e-cigarettes are completely unknown, or that heating liquids in these devices causes thermal decomposition of those e-cigarette chemicals that “pose limited danger” into known toxicants. It also did not consider that e-cigarettes are a fast evolving consumer product with ever-changing devices and chemicals, creating mixtures and exposures of unknown health consequences." https://theconversation.com/vaping-likely-has-dangers-that-could-take-years-for-scientists-to-even-know-about-123051

April 2020 - As for cardiovascular health, a recent peer-reviewed report, published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, states "Our work suggests that the abnormalities in vascular stiffness persist in e-cigarette users,” Fetterman says. “There was no evidence that the use of e-cigarettes reduces cardiovascular injury” associated with smoking combustible cigarettes." https://www.sciencenews.org/article/vaping-smoking-heart-cardiovascular-damage

I should add there are lots of articles that show improvements in health and it's not to say those are wrong, just that it is probably not the complete picture.
    Perhaps this should be in the debate forum!