Weight Gain Journey

Options
Hello all my name is Briana & I just recently started my weight gain journey & im not exactly doing it the healthy way. I tried to do it that way so many times and I just couldn't keep up with it. All I do is eat now and I started to keep track of everything as of today with this app. I started at 109 and I am now at 117 I just wanna know when and if I'll start seeing where this weight is going + I have been doing ab workouts, legs, & butt in the gym and I also worry that I will be way too toned when I actually just want the weight that I am gaining to go to those areas. Any commentary?!?

Replies

• amzblitz
    amzblitz Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    First you can't spot add weight

Now that this clear ... What you need to determine your goal ...u want to add weight but you don't want it to be fat u want to look fit

U should follow one of hundreds proven workout routines and you need eat CLEAN it might take some time but it is worth it
  • gorebriana
    gorebriana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can't spot add weight.... Please explain because that makes 0 sense
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    gorebriana wrote: »

You said you want the weight gain to go to "those areas". The weight is going to go where it goes. You can't have it pack on anywhere in particular. That's what he's saying.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Genetics will determine where you gain. So if you are naturally predisposed to gain in the butt, hips, or stomach, that is where you will gain first. Essentially, there is no exercise that you can do, no garment that you can wear, that will modify that (e.g., ab exercise will make your abs stronger, but not prevent fat gains in the stomach region). The size of your surplus and your training will determine if it's muscle or fat you are gaining. The more you gain per week, the more fat you are gaining. And considering limitations of testosterone, women would only be able to gain about 1/4 lb of muscle per week, and that is considering you have an adequate lifting routine (which you probably don't at the current time).

Also, while adding weight, you will not increase muscle definition. In fact, you will look less defined as you are also intentionally gaining fat (even if you don't want to). So don't worry about being toned, because it just won't happen. If you want tone, you need to reduce body fat.

If you struggle with getting calories, the below thread should be helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to clarify your goal. I also agree that you don't have to worry about looking too muscular, for females especially that takes serious hard work.

To gain size in the areas you have stated you really have two options.

a. Eat at a surplus and gain fat, hoping that you are genetically predisposed for your weight gain to go exactly where you want it.

b. Take a more measured approach and eat at a surplus whilst undertaking a progressive weight training program specifically tailored to your goals. You will grow the underlying musculature giving a fuller look, whilst gaining (a hopefully) acceptable amount of fat in whatever area your body decides to put it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to build muscle or just get fat?
  • gorebriana
    Options
    I'm not getting fat but thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not getting fat but thanks

If you are gaining weight, you are gaining fat. In fact at least 75% will be fat. More if your training isnt adequate.
  • stowns30
    stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try adding some ensure plus or boost plus shakes girl... I'm in this with you I understand... Good luck!
  • gorebriana
    Options
    stowns30 wrote: »
    Try adding some ensure plus or boost plus shakes girl... I'm in this with you I understand... Good luck!

I drink ensure plus everyday! Thanks girl
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    He means you can't just say " I want a large butt so I want all the weight to go my butt" our bodies don't work like that.

Here's what I would do if I where you-
    Eat at a calorie surplus.
    Get a food scale, be as accurate as possible to be sure your actually eating at a calorie surplus
    Get yourself set up with a strength training program asap

Most importantly- don't worry about becoming too muscular looking. That look doesn't happen by accident. It takes years of work. you won't wake up one morning and suddenly be diesel! That takes much effort and time.

cosign
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Would have thought that after 12 lbs you'd already see where the weight is going. If you didn't take some full body photos when you started gaining definitely take some now to compare after you gain your next 12lbs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You put on 14lbs and can't see it ?

That's worrying

Sounds like the fat is going visceral rather than subcutaneous

If you don't know the difference visceral (around your organs) carries significant health risks, subcutaneous (under skin) less so
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ncz6xh3ava1i.jpg

Hey Folks - this thread has been substantially cleaned, with quite a few posts that did not pertain to the topic removed.

Please stay on topic in an existing thread. Taking a thread off-topic to discuss trolling is... trolling. So is posting in an effort to escalate drama...
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Calling other users names otherwise attacking them is a violation of the guidelines as well:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you believe a post to be in violation of the community guidelines (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines) please report it and a moderator will take a look. To report a post, click the Flag option at the bottom of the post and then select Report. Choose the reason for the report, type a note if you want, and then click Send.

If you don't like a user, please feel free to use our Ignore function. To ignore a user, click on their user name next to a post, then click Ignore at the bottom of the pop-up.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to reach out to myself or any other moderator or staff via PM.

Happy Saturday,
    JustSomeEm