Body dismorphia - no judging please

Options
Has anyone been successfully treated for this, if so what does it involve? How bad does it need to be before you get help, is it a thing in its own right or does it only need addressing if you have an eating disorder? Thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It can get better on its own, but it's a good idea to seek professional help if you think you have it. I've been through a lot of therapy and usually it involves you talking through the issue, them providing some perspective, some exercises to help retrain your brain, and homework that you do whenever the issue pops up. You don't need to be diagnosed as having an eating disorder to seek help for mental health reasons.

Anything that causes mental stress and starts to negatively impact your life is a reason to seek help. It's easier to learn how to control or fix it early, rather than years down the road when you've damaged your mind, body, and personal relationships.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thank you usmcmp
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of clients who had it (both females). And while I could help them get better with their physical fitness and shape, it was never enough even though both were in excellent shape and others would die to have their physiques. I suggested to both of them to consult a therapist. Consequently, I really never saw both after that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've had a couple of clients who had it (both females). And while I could help them get better with their physical fitness and shape, it was never enough even though both were in excellent shape and others would die to have their physiques. I suggested to both of them to consult a therapist. Consequently, I really never saw both after that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's sad, isn't it?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's sad, isn't it?
    It happens. While not my field of expertise, I've seen a few people who've had issues with body dysmorphia, most on the side of being too skinny. One was a guy who couldn't get big enough and he was pretty huge and juicin' hard.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Kdp2015
    Options
    I'm not sure it's that bad really but I would really like to maintain now and I feel like my perception of myself is holding me back from that and I think about it a lot more than I probably should. I wouldn't say it makes me anxious but it does take up too much of my time and gets a bit 'in the way' of normal life.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's that bad really but I would really like to maintain now and I feel like my perception of myself is holding me back from that and I think about it a lot more than I probably should. I wouldn't say it makes me anxious but it does take up too much of my time and gets a bit 'in the way' of normal life.

I'll be honest with you, I used to have a pal on here who was trying to maintain her weight but couldn't get over eating in a deficit.

She sounded very much like you in the way she talked about herself and the scale and her struggle to eat more.

Eventually, thankfully, she left mfp and went into a residential eating disorder programme.

• Kdp2015
    Options

I'll be honest with you, I used to have a pal on here who was trying to maintain her weight but couldn't get over eating in a deficit.

She sounded very much like you in the way she talked about herself and the scale and her struggle to eat more.

Eventually, thankfully, she left mfp and went into a residential eating disorder programme.
    I love it here...I've never been that low in my calories and I'm not underweight

• TavistockToad
    edited July 2016
    Options

I love it here...I've never been that low in my calories and I'm not underweight

I haven't said you were, it's the negative self talk I was referencing.

Which is easier to fix now than in 6 months if it becomes more serious.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Am I turning into an mfp pain in the *kitten*??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I think what you're experiencing is partly normal but it can get out of control, like any anxiety disorder. Distraction and having things to do will stop the spinny brain.

*shrug*
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Lol I'm not sure it knows how to do anything other than spin!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well, that's pretty common in anxiety or mania.

If it becomes intrusive it's time to address it with a professional.

In the meantime, try positive self-talk. . . reading motivational books, prayer, exercise, staying away from caffeine and alcohol. Hobbies. Distract distract distract.

Don't torture yourself with your own thoughts. :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thank you I've always wanted to try counselling but feel like it would make things a lot worse before they got better.
    I will look into positive self talk it sounds like what I need.
    I gave up alcohol in February (a whole different story) can't go without my cups of tea and Diet Coke though.
    I do try to keep busy but my distractions seem to easily turn into obsessions.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @Kdp2015 Rumination & obsessive thinking can run the gamut from mildly annoying to severely debilitating. When it interferes with your quality of life and you can't seem to stop the monkey chatter, it is time to seek help. Nobody wants to ask for help - ugh!!! - but -

a) you are not alone,
    b) you do not have to accept a lifetime of obsessions and dysmorphia, and
    c) you deserve to be happy!!!

Seize the day and promise yourself you'll call a counselor tomorrow first thing and get an appointment.

Repeat after me: I am worth it.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Whatever traumas or burdens you are carrying can be put down. You don't have to take them with you for the rest of your life. ((hug))

When you said you were afraid counseling would make things worse before better, that's what came to my mind. It's hard to face up to the past, but letting go of it is absolutely necessary for moving forward into a happier life. Unresolved past "stuff" can cause all kinds of problems in the now. Can't change it, may as well learn to live with it.

I'm with Karen, go stand in front of a mirror and say, "I love you."

Do that every day. Watch the miracle happen.

• Kdp2015
    Options
    I've not had any traumas to get over, my mum always took me to the Drs as a kid to find out what was wrong with me - they said I was withdrawn and quiet because I needed to get out and live a bit more - I've never really felt comfortable with Drs!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Oh, well that's really good that you have no past to worry about. There is nothing inherently wrong with being quiet and withdrawn...but when I am alone a lot I have to be especially mindful of what thoughts I am allowing to run my mind.

Mindfulness might be something you could research, try your Google. :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    You have to do what you think is right, I wish you the very, very best!
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thank you