Say WHAAAAT!? Can that be right?

Options
Yesterday hubby and I went for a nice 4.4 mile hike with hills, and of course a great view. It took us about 45 mins there and 45 mins back. Tracked it...and MFP estimated I burned 800 or so cals!! My heart was going on the way up, and some on the way down (of course not as fast) but it totally didn't feel like I burned that many. Is that accurate?

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    MFP over estimates by alot is what I've been told.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Most fitness sites overestimate calories burned.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just checked a few different calculators and they're saying between 375 and 400 calories....
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i always cut the number MFP gives you in half. Seems like it more accurately represents the calories burned that way.
  • runningmcgee
    runningmcgee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, I find that tracking calories with an app like runkeeper, which keeps track of things like pace, elevation climb, your weight, etc. to be much more accurate. I've had great success with using runkeeper in combination with MFP.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, I find that tracking calories with an app like runkeeper, which keeps track of things like pace, elevation climb, your weight, etc. to be much more accurate. I've had great success with using runkeeper in combination with MFP.

I second this! I've been using the Nike+ app and I find there's about a 10-20 calorie difference between it and my HRM.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    I use a Heart Rate Monitor, and my part fast walk, part jog on a treadmill at 4% and 5% grades for 45 minutes burns around 300 calories. I'm 5'6", current weight 157. Hope that helps. 800 calories sounds way over for a hike, unless you jogged for a good portion of the hike.:smile:
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    MFP does overestimate so I use an HRM. It's the best way to get accurate calories burned.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Runners World suggests the following formula to estimate calories burned walking:

.57 x your body weight in lbs x distance in miles

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

accordingly a 200lb person could reasonably expect to burn close to 500 calories walking 4.4 miles....MFP's estimates are often on the generous side.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is about 100 cals per mile, so it's far off? I'd probably stay safe and eat half or so.
  • Honeybee0
    Honeybee0 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks! Good thing I didn't eat those cals back.:tongue:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Another good tracking app is Endomondo, it also syncs with MFP.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hence why I've opted to "try" and eat back only half my exercise calories :tongue: