Training while dealing with tendinitis

Options
Savyna
Savyna Posts: 789 Member
Recently I went too ham with a chest/shoulder workout and towards that last set literally felt the life disappear from my arms. The following few days, I noticed my arms weren't getting sore, just had this burning sensation when I moved them a certain way. My friend who has dealt with tendinitis in her shoulder believes that I might now be dealing with it. Currently don't have insurance to see a doctor/physical therapist for any medication or treatment for it, so I was wondering if any of you had tips on how to continue exercising whilst recovering from it.

Do I completely stop and just rest and stretch? Do I wait a few weeks then ease back into lifting again? Can I do cardio now (like jogging/sprinting etc) or should that pause too.

I did hear about doing RICE and making sure I sleep elevated, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do cardio and lower body for now.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I was treated for it in the wrist they put me in a hard cast. Three weeks it was immobilized. I'd suffered for a long time so it was very painful.

I'd do anything that does not cause discomfort.
  • Savyna
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Do cardio and lower body for now.

Alright, thank you for that response. Ill let my arms rest for about a week before I go running again since I have to move my arms and stuff for that. But at least I'm happy to know that I can do it still.
  • Savyna
    Options
    When I was treated for it in the wrist they put me in a hard cast. Three weeks it was immobilized. I'd suffered for a long time so it was very painful.

I'd do anything that does not cause discomfort.

Thank you for replying. Glad youre not in pain anymore!
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago I was lifting weights and felt some discomfort in the top of my shoulder. I mostly felt it when raising my arm above shoulder height or reaching behind my back. I decided to stop lifting for a week or two so that it could heal, however after 2 months it was not any better and I finally went to see a doctor. His specialty was sports medicine and he said I have ongoing inflammation in the AC joint, which he sees frequently in weight lifters. He said overhead and bench presses are hard on this joint.

The doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory and said to avoid lifting my arm above shoulder height until it feels better (but keep using it normally otherwise) and once it does feel better, to ease back into lifting and take things a little slower. After only a couple days taking the anti-inflammatory (twice a day), my shoulder already feels better, although apparently it doesn't work for everyone.

My prescription was only $4 for a 30 day supply at Walmart. So if you don't feel better in a month or two you might want to see if you can get an appointment at a (reduced cost) clinic because it may not be as expensive to treat as you think.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    I did hear about doing RICE and making sure I sleep elevated, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

RICE is old advice - it's probably counterproductive. This explains why.. from the Dr who coined the term RICE:
    drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html
    Also see:
    caringmedical.com/sports-injuries/rice-why-we-do-not-recommend-it/

Usually with these type of injuries, keep the area moving, but avoid any positions and movements that hurt. You can try some of the shoulder rehab exercises on Youtube. Expect slow progress (weeks, not days). :+1:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have had a few bouts of tendinitis in my rotator cuff and groin (after a bad pull)

I rested it for 2 weeks and took advil for the inflammation (advice from a friend who is a Physio and lifts) he told me to ice it too but I didn't...*hangs head*

Worked great...
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The shoulder is a complicated joint. It's hard to suggest a course of action without actually knowing what is wrong.

I did much the same thing, pushed too hard in a workout back in October and ended up with serious shoulder pain (the kind that keeps you up at night). I was diagnosed with biceps tendonitis and spent 4 months in physical therapy and had shots to help bring down the inflammation. While it is much improved, 10 months later my shoulder is still not 100%--simple overhead exercises like a shoulder press with a little 5 lb dumbbell still hurt, but I can row and do (most) Pilates with no problem. I need to go back to my doctor and see what else I can do to improve the situation.

The point being, there's not an easy answer. Maybe you can rest it for a while, take some ibuprofen and it will be fine. Could be something more serious going on.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I wear compression sleeves on my arms. NOT when working out, during rest. An anti-inflammatory also helps.
  • Savyna
    Options
    So an update: maybe it wasn't tendinitis but very tight triceps/shoulders? It's been 6 days, and for the most part that weird burning feeling, stiffness, and tightness is gone. Yesterday I did 4 - 1/2 push ups just to test out my arms and didn't experience any discomfort, and then I did some wall push ups to get my arms moving and things felt alright. I won't throw myself into lifting heavy things right at this moment until I'm sure that I can do it again without re-injuring myself and to properly warm up before and stretch afterwards as well (which is something I know I need to work on because I almost always forget/ignore stretching afterwards).

Thanks again everyone for your input.