Increase Sodium intake on high cardio days?

Options
powered85
powered85 Posts: 297 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have a low sodium diet (by choice not BP related etc) usually 1500-1800mg per day. I also a lot of high cardio days with 5 to 10k runs or insanity. Wondering if I should up my sodium intake on those days? Maybe an extra 500mg?

Anyone else adjust sodium on cardio days?

Potassium intake is ample though as I eat lots of veggies, dairy, fruit etc.

Thanks

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In my case, I have been trying to keep my sodium intake at 1500 mg purely by choice alone. My cardio workout is 30 minutes, 5 days a week, and weekends working around the yard and garage. After a few months of that I started getting muscle cramps in my feet every night. One day I had a high sodium excursion from my food plan. Since that day, I have had no night foot cramps. 1500 mg is out the window for me now.
  • powered85
    Options
    In my case, I have been trying to keep my sodium intake at 1500 mg purely by choice alone. My cardio workout is 30 minutes, 5 days a week, and weekends working around the yard and garage. After a few months of that I started getting muscle cramps in my feet every night. One day I had a high sodium excursion from my food plan. Since that day, I have had no night foot cramps. 1500 mg is out the window for me now.

Thanks good to know. Anyone else do a lot of cardio and have to adjust sodium based on amt of activity?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    Anyone else do a lot of cardio and have to adjust sodium based on amt of activity?

Not really, but:

I bike a lot. Year round. I probably drink more water than most people, year round. Also enjoy salt and have a lot in my diet. On hot, sunny days, and/or on days when I do very intense riding (like hill repeats), I noticed that I can drink glass after glass of water and it doesn't make me any less thirsty. On those days, I'll drink an electrolyte drink, and feel a lot more satisfied.

FYI, I started with Gatoraide, it's 200 kCal per bottle, that's like a 7 mile bike ride. Switched to Nuun tablets, they're about 5 kCal per, and taste better too. It's mostly salt, but there's more to it than that.
  • powered85
    Options
    I found that calculator very interesting. Going to try and bump up the sodium on cardio days to see how I feel. Appears that you lose a considerable amount when you get sweating!
  • ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    On days where I do cardio I always take a GU Energy Gel (about 10 minutes prior to running), which has 60mg of Sodium and other Amino Acids/Electrolytes. I do not take it on my break day.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes. The more I run the more salt I eat. Salt isn't the devil. Just like carbs and fats aren't. It serves a purpose and a deficiency in it can cause problems.

I eat more salt on the days I run and here in MI the weather for the last week has been in the 90's with 70%+ humidity so I've been loading salt on my meals. Not only is it important for sweating but the added water retention helps a lot when dealing with the heat.