Shin Splints & Fallen Arches

Options
MiamiSeoul
MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
Just started walking again & I'm having awful foot & leg pains. My last pair of running shoes were purchased from a specialty store where they checked me out on one of those treadmill video machines. I'd like to eventually move from walking to running, so I need help! Someone please tell me it's like spin where eventually your bottom stops hurting!

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    Bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention how far you're walking & the type of terrain etc but shin splints (to some degree) are not that unusual with changes in activity level or switching from a treadmill to running outside. Rest & ice will normally look after them, dial back the activity level a bit and they should go away fairly quickly.

The foot pain is more concerning....do you actually have flat feet or did the shop make that diagnosis?

Here's a DIY test you can do to check for yourself...

runnersworld.com/running-shoes/the-wet-test

It sounds like the shop may have sold you an inappropriate shoe, can you take them back and exchange them?

If the foot pain doesn't subside it may mean a trip to the podiatrist.
  • legends96
    legends96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Compression socks work well for shin splints, and perhaps your shoes are causing your foot pain.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My experience with shin splints was mainly during high school when I ran track. My coach had me stretch for at least 30 minutes and my shins were iced at the same time. There was basically a wooden box with one side at a 45 degree angle...so it looked like someone had sliced the box diagonally. I would put that box against a wall and would place my feet on the angled portion and stretch. It really stretched my calves and the ice helped the pain.

Stretching also helped when I used to wear heels and my arches were dying at the end of the day. (Arch very sore and toes cramping up which caused them to curl down.) I didn't have that wooden box so I'd just sit on the floor, with my legs straight and in front and bend at the waist, trying to touch my toes. Or I'd have one leg out straight, the other bent like your sitting criss-cross and try to touch my fingers to the toes of the leg that was straight. Some days it'd take 20-30 minutes for the arches to relax. I don't wear heels that often anymore because it's just not worth it.

And finally, you may want to consider changing the way you walk. Since I have high arches, I've read I should try to strike the ground with the front of my foot instead of heel first. This is hard to do since the majority of us learned how to walk doing heel strike. You may be more tired at first since you're working leg muscles in a new way. I've tried changing the way I run and while I still need to practice running that way, it's helped lessen the pain and I can run for longer periods. (Still get achy knees and arches before I get tired everywhere else but it's an improvement.) I also got shoes that are designed for running and for people with high arches and that definitely helped. Are you wearing shoes designed for walking and for your particular foot/gait?

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Most running shoes have a raised heel, which isn't good for walking, because it increases pronation and puts more strain on the shins. Switch to "zero heel" shoes, like skateboard shoes, Altra runners, etc. Post an update after you try it.

Don't try to push through shin pain. That makes it worse. :+1:

• MiamiSeoul
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • ksmyth555
    ksmyth555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had bad shin splints for years. They would hurt if I walked fast. I went to a chiropractor that told me to get new shoes, from a specialty store, and really good inserts to help stabilize the heel and arch. The chiropractor would work on my shin muscle to help release. It did seem to help. I can now walk a lot and my shins don't hurt. I ended up giving up on running though. I hope with walking, cycling and strength training that one day I might be able to run but right now i'm taking it easy on my shins and I'm happy doing all my other exercises that don't seem to bother them as much.