Phentermine aka Adipex

Options
Anyone else taking phentermine aka adipex? I started on July 13th and as of July 17th have lost 14lbs. So far only side effects dry mouth and on the day I didn't take it extrem cravings. What I like about it is it suppressed my appetite so I can make better food choices. Please let me know you experance with it. I have 165lbs to lose

Replies

• Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome! Congrats!
  • Leighburns279
    Leighburns279 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since April. I have an under active thyroid. My doctor thought it would help. I have lost 40lbs so far but I try to eat clean. The only side effect I have noticed is dry mouth.
  • jessicaelaine82
    jessicaelaine82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of people deal with emotional side effects. My doctor said that's usually only people who already deal with depression or bipolar disorder. Glad I don't have those kinds problems. One thing I don't like about it is it icresses your core temp so makes me sweat easy. Always feelings like I need a bath even after a bath lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My experience with it was horrific, I cant even remember if i lost any weight as the whole time is just a haze in my head.
    Anyone else taking phentermine aka adipex? I started on July 13th and as of July 17th have lost 14lbs. So far only side effects dry mouth and on the day I didn't take it extrem cravings. What I like about it is it suppressed my appetite so I can make better food choices. Please let me know you experance with it. I have 165lbs to lose

You're not going to be on phentermine forever, right? Not to be a downer, but be prepared for your appetite and cravings to come roaring back once you stop the pills. You may have cast iron willpower and be able to ignore the cravings and you wont regain the weight you've lost, now is the time to learn how to eat smartly and set yourself up for a successful future, and plan what you are going to do once you stop taking the pills and how you are going to handle your appetite and cravings..

Phentermine artificially blunts your appetite so losing weight feels pretty effortless, this will no longer be the case once you stop. What I'm trying to say is learn and practice how you are going to maintain your weight loss once your off phentermine.

• jessicaelaine82
    Options
    My experience with it was horrific, I cant even remember if i lost any weight as the whole time is just a haze in my head.

You're not going to be on phentermine forever, right? Not to be a downer, but be prepared for your appetite and cravings to come roaring back once you stop the pills. You may have cast iron willpower and be able to ignore the cravings and you wont regain the weight you've lost, now is the time to learn how to eat smartly and set yourself up for a successful future, and plan what you are going to do once you stop taking the pills and how you are going to handle your appetite and cravings..

Phentermine artificially blunts your appetite so losing weight feels pretty effortless, this will no longer be the case once you stop. What I'm trying to say is learn and practice how you are going to maintain your weight loss once your off phentermine.

I have already started changing my eating habits and picking more healthy food. I will only be on phentermine for 3 months with monthly doctor visits.
  • slgraha
    slgraha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started phen on July 12th and I'm down 10#s so far. I'm sure lots of water weight but it feels good and has motivated me to start exercising. Focusing on what and how much I eat has been eye opening but also empowering. I feel in control. Plus, it has been easier to say no and choose not to eat things that will trigger a binge.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • jessicaelaine82
    Options
    slgraha wrote: »
    I started phen on July 12th and I'm down 10#s so far. I'm sure lots of water weight but it feels good and has motivated me to start exercising. Focusing on what and how much I eat has been eye opening but also empowering. I feel in control. Plus, it has been easier to say no and choose not to eat things that will trigger a binge.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

I have lost 19.4lbs since starting it July 13th it's been great that it allows me to slow down and make better food choices since I'm not as hungry.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I took a half dose for 7 days after a binge to get myself back on track. I lost 5 pounds that week and have sustained my losses since then. I didn't experience any bad side effects (not even fty mouth) nor did cravings come roaring back once I stopped.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!

*Be prepared for those on this site who do not agree with diet pills to give you their words of wisdom.*
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    As long as it's doctor prescribed and monitored, I see no issue with pills that assist with weight loss. If it gives people the jump start they need to make healthy eating a lifelong habit, then great!

The issue is over the counter pills that are either a) huge doses of caffeine that your body quickly adjusts to and become useless or b) absolutely useless from the beginning.
  • rsanchez920
    rsanchez920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got on it a year ago and stayed on it almost a year. I was a Reclusive angry *kitten* the whole time.. lost 14 lbs the first month and had to take it the rest of the year to keep it off :( got off it 2 months ago and have rapidly gained 20 lbs and no matter how much I slash calories/eat well or exercise I still gain rapidly. It messed up my body and I should have stuck to the old fashion way now I'm considering putting myself through the hell again and getting back on it because nothing but that helps me Maintain ;(
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

How did you get it? Is it prescribed by a medical doctor or a weight loss doctor? How much is it? What are the possible side effects?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    My two cents' worth: Phentermine helped me three years ago to curb appetite in two ways; it suppressed appetite and it helped to stop "food thinking". I was able to maintain weight loss after stopping Phentermine for about 2 years but then slowly started gaining it back. I am now under the care of an endocrinologist who prescribes it for me for "occasional use". I have used 1 1/2 pills since April 14th, in 1/2 pill increments (three different days) when I thought it would help me in tempting situations (which it did). When I was taking it daily, I was on edge, which I didn't like. It does make me happier knowing it is there as a tool to use in certain circumstances - oddly enough, just knowing it is there as a back-up plan helps me feel more in control and able to make better choices.

For the person who asked about side effects - anxiety, elevated blood pressure, increased heart rate, alertness. It is a "substituted amphetamine", so has the side effects you would expect with an amphetamine.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

How did you get it? Is it prescribed by a medical doctor or a weight loss doctor? How much is it? What are the possible side effects?

I will tell you the side effects i got. Some people have it worse and others don't get any.

Sleeping no more than 2-3 hours at night, even when i took the pill at 4am.

Extremely emotional, depressed, argumentative and cried over anything - The exact polar opposite of of the normal me.

Extreme constipation.

Foggy and confused all the time.

Bottom line.. My husband asked me to choose between him or phentermine.

You need a script from your doctor, you cant buy it online or over the counter.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Christine_72 You're one tough cookie...you put up with a lot of bad side effects...ugh!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I got on it a year ago and stayed on it almost a year. I was a Reclusive angry *kitten* the whole time.. lost 14 lbs the first month and had to take it the rest of the year to keep it off :( got off it 2 months ago and have rapidly gained 20 lbs and no matter how much I slash calories/eat well or exercise I still gain rapidly. It messed up my body and I should have stuck to the old fashion way now I'm considering putting myself through the hell again and getting back on it because nothing but that helps me Maintain ;(

Yikes, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get a handle on this.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Christine_72 You're one tough cookie...you put up with a lot of bad side effects...ugh!

Ha I only lasted 2 weeks before i threw them away. I can't even remember if i lost any weight in that time, as the whole experience is like a foggy dream.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    I might add that it is a controlled substance and potentially addicting, and needs strict supervision by a doctor. You should know all of this plus the potential adverse side effects before you take it.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Phentermine has been the number one prescribed weight loss drug since the 60s. I have taken it a few times, and though I always lose weight, I never stay on it long enough. My current doctor says I need to stick with it through maintenance. Yes, some people have side effects, but I only get the energy and dry mouth. Both are great for weight loss. It is the safest prescription diet drug available when taken properly and has little chance for addiction.That being said, I cannot do Qsimia, which is Phentermine and Topamax (an anti-seizure drug). The effects are great. Nothing tastes great, so you eat very little, and carbonated beverages taste nasty. However, it gave me tingling in my face and limbs. My liver enzymes went crazy, and I felt awful. My stylist loves it though. She has no side effects. Everyone is different. I have been prescribed seizure meds and antidepressants for pain, and had bad side effects. I can take anything else without problems. Go by how you feel and you doctors's instructions. Also, don't spend too much time reading about drugs on the Internet. It will scare you away from aspirin.
  • slgraha
    slgraha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had great results with phen in the past but have never followed through to Maintenance. At one point I did take phen & Topamax but HATED the Topamax! Don't get me wrong the med worked but it also made me feel stupid. I couldn't remember simple things, felt completely drugged and in a fog. The only side effect I have while taking phen is dry mouth other than the reduced appetite and more energy.

Like any other drug, not everyone can take it and that's why you should work closely with a doctor when taking phen. I don't believe anyone should purchase it online because you don't know what you're getting.