Chicken thighs

Options
sbtripp
sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
Looking for some good low calorie recipes for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Can anyone help? Just plain grilled or baked are not meeting the need. My husband loves fried, but you know how that it is when you are calorie/fat counting.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would avoid buying boneless in future -

for boneless thighs go for a lower cal green thai curry

chicken cacciatore is yum but demands bone in IMO

I'd marinade in sriracha or soy, lemon, ginger, honey, oil and roast

• XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like to throw 8-10 skinless thighs in my slow-cooker and when they're done I shred the meat, toss it in a skillet, and add a package of McCormick's Taco seasoning for making burritos, tacos, or add to a salad.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Whatever for?
    Personally I prefer boneless because I will get a much more accurate calorie count from weighing them.

So far as recipes, for me it always comes down to select vegetables and my choice of sauce.
    Just need to get experimental in the kitchen, I'll even cover them in different flavored hummus and bake them in the oven which makes a nice crust.

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Chicken Adobo. It's heavenly! I also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You basically simmer the thighs in reduced sodium soy sauce and rice vinegar with a few basil leaves and some garlic. The sauce reduces down to a great thick sauce that clings to the chicken. Soooo good.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Whatever for?
    Personally I prefer boneless because I will get a much more accurate calorie count from weighing them.

So far as recipes, for me it always comes down to select vegetables and my choice of sauce.
    Just need to get experimental in the kitchen, I'll even cover them in different flavored hummus and bake them in the oven which makes a nice crust.

Yes I would like to know why as well. What is wrong with boneless? I use it a lot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Whatever for?

taste

filleted thighs do not have as much taste as with bone in when made into casseroles - also filleted can become chewy on cooking

• Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I make fajita kabobs with chicken thighs. Marinate in a green chile salsa with a little avocado oil and some cumin. Then thead on skewers and grill along side skewers of bell pepper, red onion, pineapple, and jalpeno. Eat with a side of cilantro lime cauliflower rice, avocado, and a dallop of plain Greek yogurt! (If you reduce the leftover marinade, it makes an awesome sauce to top the fajitas too!)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My mom used to dump salsa on them and bake. It was pretty good.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle with a spicy rub (Old Bay or BBQ seasoning for example) and sear ~2 minutes each side over the stove, then finish in the oven. Super juicy and flavorful. I Love boneless skinless chicken thighs!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just found this for someone else.

http://pin.it/A63pvQv
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    We have grilled boneless, skinless thighs almost every week. My go-to marinade is soy sauce, honey and Dijon mustard. It is so good. I will add some Sriracha sauce sometimes too. Yum!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I bake mine with a tray of ready made Mediterranean veg - onion, pepper, courgette, tomato etc
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker or roast in the oven, then shred, then add your favorite BBQ sauce. I like pulled dark meat much better than breast meat. Also good in curries!
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I sometimes stuff them with peppers, garlic, season with mustard, salt and pepper then roast them in the oven. Sometimes I will even add cheese to the stuffing. What I put in to stuff them greatly depends on what I have on hand.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Marinade with pimenton, fennel seeds, garlic, a little oil and a squeeze of lemon before grilling. Extra tasty.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any recipie that calls for chicken breasts, I substitute boneless, skinless thighs. It's a little more calories and fat but so worth it. They are much more flavorful and forgiving than breasts. You don't have to worry as much about overcooking them and drying them out. They are delicious braised with Dijon mustard, onions, and white wine.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    I like to throw 8-10 skinless thighs in my slow-cooker and when they're done I shred the meat, toss it in a skillet, and add a package of McCormick's Taco seasoning for making burritos, tacos, or add to a salad.

This! Slow cook it w chopped onions, tomatoes n spices, sooo good.

You could coat w seasoned panko and bake.

Baked w olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and fresh squeezed lemon is good too/ like a "Greek chicken, serve w Greek salad
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Whatever for?

taste

filleted thighs do not have as much taste as with bone in when made into casseroles - also filleted can become chewy on cooking

To you. I hate the taste of chicken cooked on the bone and will not eat it

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    sbtripp wrote: »
    Looking for some good low calorie recipes for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Can anyone help? Just plain grilled or baked are not meeting the need. My husband loves fried, but you know how that it is when you are calorie/fat counting.

I marinade them in a vacu-sealed bag. About 6-8 thighs with a marinade made with light tasting olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, a little salt and black pepper plus red pepper flakes. Marinate for 30min to 4 hrs and grill. Delicious and moist. Ate two tonight.

My favorite way to do thighs is bone in and skin on. I let them come up a bit from fridge temp, season liberally with kosher or sea salt and black pepper, then put them in a large frying pan skin side down. Then I turn on the heat to medium-high (7-8 on an electric cooktop) and cook the thighs uncovered until a good bit of fat begins to render out into the pan(depends, but usually 6-7 minutes). I then cover and turn the heat to medium-low (3-4) for 20 minutes. Makes the absolute best crisp skin ever. Just unbelievable. And the meat is moist and tender. Your husband can eat the skin, you can remove it and avoid those calories if you like.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I marinade over night in tandoori paste w greek yoghurt. Pop right on over shelves. (Tray below to catch drips) cook til starts to crisp Serve with cauliflower rice, squeeze lemon juice over.