Pickle ball

Options
While myfitnesspal has added pickle ball to the exercise database, I don't think they truly investigated the possible number of calories burned during 2 hours of play. If the session is 2.5 hours, I usually figure that I am playing for 90 minutes (at least). I am a 3.5-4.0 player, so our group play offers a great work out. How can that only burn 46 calories while tennis doubles=510 and table tennis (ping pong)=408? According to several websites, a casual pickle ball game can burn 250 calories in 30 minutes and a competitive game can burn 360 in that time for someone weighing 150 lbs.
Anyone have facts/thoughts regarding pickle ball and calorie burn?

Replies

• lisasmith1968
    lisasmith1968 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Following
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    This is why people advise to only eat back a percentage of your exercise calories...

To answer your question, though, no clue. Good luck.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    No but I love playing pickle ball!
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It doesn't come up when I search for it in MFP. Though, after looking up videos, it's pretty obvious that it would burn as much and probably more then a game of ping pong. That being said, I just log my time under ping pong. At worst, you'd be slightly underestimating calories burned, which is rarely a bad thing.
  • the5ks1
    the5ks1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using 350 calories per 60 minutes of pickleball. I judge that some days I burn more than 350 and some days I burn less. It never feels like physical activity because it's so dang fun!!!
  • pipbailey
    pipbailey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I switched from Tennis to pickleball due to running limitations due to knee problem. An easy transition from tennis to pickleball. Sometimes tend to over do it because it is lots of fun, and exercise, and can't resist the "one more game" request.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    After numerous uses of my Gear Fit to measure each game I play, I find a couple things: 1) most of the games I play average about 15 minutes; and 2) my watch indicates about 60 calories burned per game; some games more, some games less.

My watch, as all fitness devices, measures TOTAL calorie burn for whatever time you are wearing it. Which means that includes basal metabolic rate (BMR) calories burned. My BMR is equivalent to about a calorie a minute.

So, for a 15-minute game, my watch shows about 60 calories burned. I subtract 15 calories for my BMR, and end up with a net exercise burn of about 45 calories per game. So, if I play 4 games, I'll add about 180 calories as exercise to my daily calorie expenditure total. It's worked really well for me; doesn't seem too high, nor too low.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just use my fit bit to track the time played and heart rate, don't worry about the calories. I get more than enough calories with 12-15,00 steps a day, plus dumbbell routine a couple of times a week. Pickle ball is my most demanding and most enjoyable activity for fitness. Almost makes up for being too slow to play tennis!!