PLUS SIZE Women's Work-out Wear

Options
Hello fellow large ladies! Don't you love that we live in a world that forces us to lose weight but doesn't provide us with the proper equipment or clothing to do so???

Where do you buy your work-out clothes? Are there any "good" athletic wear stores that have sizes up to 20,22,24,26 and even beyond? I have been purchasing mine from Lane Bryant, and they're pretty good but are basically cheap fabrics in neons passing off as "sweat-wicking" or whatever the latest gimmick is.

Personally I have avoided dropping large sums of money on fancy work-out gear so far because I was inspired by the movie Rocky of all things. He works out in sweats and converse!! If he can do it with what he already has in his closet, so can I. :P

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I've been buying most of my stuff at either Walmart or Kohl's. Sports bras are purchased online. I tend to go for cheap since I'm just going to sweat in them.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Walmart here. The have some loser fit Danskin Dri More sleeveless shirts+ in plus sizes. Now if they just had something beside capris.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The Wal-Mart here goes to 2X, but I have seen one or two things in a 3X. Unless you're planning on staying that size, I'd go with the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart, and get better stuff after you're in maintenance.
  • Elsiebeane
    Elsiebeane Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Lane Bryant. They were on sale. They have long workout pants.
  • rainbowtiedye
    rainbowtiedye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been having GREAT success at Shopko! As a rewards member, I usually get coupons, and their clearance rack usually has something for my gear. I've gotten shorts, capris, wicking tank tops, and sports bras and they have all been fantastic! I think their sizes run up to a 3X (26-28?). I would highly recommend it! And they come in pretty colors too not just black or white. I have a purple sports bra and a bright blue tank top!

I agree though, why spend tons of money on something that is just going to get sweaty? But having a designated "work out" outfit for me is very motivating!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The world does not force me to lose weight - my concern for my own health does.....
  • kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the Sears Shop your way club and sometimes they give me bonus points to shop with. Use the bonus points and shop online and hit the clearance specials. Also have had success with the yoga pants from Dollar General. But for my martial arts class I have to buy my uniforms from there....not cheap!
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I typically just use a tank top (or tshirt if I wanna be more modest) and some comfortable shorts. Since losing a bit of weight, I've been able to find sport bras in Target and Kmart that fit me. I prefer to invest more money in good workout shoes. My knees have thanked me for repenting of my cheap-shoes-will-do ways. (Make sure you have the right shoes for the job. Cross trainers won't feel as good as running shoes if you're going to be jogging.)

I've had some workout outfits before, tho. I've had the best luck finding my sizes on womanwithin dot com.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I just wear t-shirts. I don't look good in tank tops - I look trashy in them - arms are too big and belly is too big. Maybe after I lose another 20 lbs or so.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I just wear t-shirts. I don't look good in tank tops - I look trashy in them - arms are too big and belly is too big. Maybe after I lose another 20 lbs or so.

Well, it's summer time in Texas here. I usually resort to the tank top so I don't have so much heat trapped against my body. Purely a comfort measure rather than a fashion one.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa, the humidity has been around 90%, temps around 100 degrees. I just deal with it.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I buy my sports bras at Lane Bryant, the molded cup one. One good sports bra is better than 3 crappy ones. Got it for $26 on sale. Capris and tanks by RBX at TJ Maxx store and Sam's club online. Cheap and I like them a lot. Also, at kohls, fila plus size yoga pants (my absolute favorite) and tanks/short sleeve/long sleeve tops. Can get a really good price with sales and coupons and I love them.
  • ievent
    ievent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kohls has a nice series of plus-size workout wear... on sale this time of year too!
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    RBX in XL is good for me, tops and bottoms.

I'm 18 in the stretchy Mossimo pants from Target and XL in regular t-shirts.

If you don't want to spend a boatload of cash on workout gear, go to a name brand (readily available) store find your size and check Ebay. Got tons of RBX in my size for way wayyyyyy less on Ebay and through a random sporting store :)
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Also in Texas and I cannot imagine doing any exercise without a tank top. I actually have decent luck with Ross finding good leggings that prevent chaff, but tank tops have primarily been from Walmart. Danskin mesh back tanks are super breathable and not actually see through in back. I'm a size 20/22 currently and typically an XL top. I saw similar stuff in larger sizes at Sam's Club, too.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I buy men's workout shirts and shorts. A large men's shirt can be like a XXL women's shirt. Men's wear is cheaper than Women's wear. Also the shorts have pockets. WalMart and Target have good prices.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out a thrift store. I've found nice workout tops there a few times and they're cheap!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I liked the Danskin stuff from Walmart. Champion bras from Target (doubled up when I needed it). Men's section too!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about that size range, but once you get to 18, you should be able to find gear almost anywhere except Lululemon. I still refuse to shop there even I could easily wear their clothes at this point.

Target's C9 (Champion) is one of my favorite brands, and they often carry larger sizes. Old Navy sometimes has surprisingly good quality workout wear. I especially like them for tops. Most of the t-shirts that I work out in come from my corner Mexican store--they are 3 for $12. I wear the heck out of them and don't feel bad when they need to be thrown away.

Rocky pretty much had the right idea...but he lived in a cold climate too, so allowances must be made.

• runto107
    runto107 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Old navy!!! Inexpensive and lots of selection