Need lunch (@ work) and dinner ideas!

clmother
clmother Posts: 1 Member
Hello, fellow nutrition seekers! I need some inspiration.

I am in search of recipes that are healthy (to me that means lots of protein and fiber to keep me full longer [and regular!], and I love veggies!), but do not take too long to prep/make.

I do not have much time at home during the week, so frozen pizzas and spaghetti often end up on the menu each week for dinner. For lunch I often rely on lean cuisines or something of the sort, which I want to get away from because of the sodium content among other things.

What do you make that is nutritious, but doesn't take all day to prep?

Replies

• kelliward1
    kelliward1 Posts: 97 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out some healthy alternatives to the "healthy" tv dinners for lunch at work....I work 12 to 16 hr shifts so by the time I get home I'm beat. Some other ideas I've done are....

Salad with the P3 things of cubed meat and cheese and some salad dressing, yogurt and fruit on the side.

Sandwich on the sandwich thins bread, pretzels and fruit on the side. There are some low sodium meats you can get at the deli counter.

Healthy vegetable soup ( heats up quick on the stove in the morning and use a thermos container to keep warm), salad on the side.

Tyson has grilled chicken strips in the freezer..warm them up to make wraps or put on salads.

I also like the already cooked hard boiled eggs I find at Aldi's. Great for a breakfast on the go or to top salads with.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see what other suggestions people offer.
  • katiemaeblankenship
    katiemaeblankenship Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hungry girl flatout flatbread is only 100 calories and you can make 2 mini pizza out of it. . Kids love them too! Some fat free mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, and turkey pepperoni or cubed ham with a blend of onion and green pepper yumm
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Lately ive been making up large batches of beans and rice and making little rice and bean bowls to take to lunch every day. They cook ahead pretty well, and you can add whatever! Mine gets a huge helping of kale and spinach and a good portion of cheese. Tons of iron and calcium and vitamins :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I am beginning to sound like a broken record because I have shared this over and over again. :#

I really like sheet pan meals right now. I dislike using the oven in the summer but the meals are so easy and if you cover the pan with foil there is little to no clean up. And if you are short on time you can buy many of the veggies pre-cut or chopped. Here are some from the Domestic Geek. The fajitas were awesome! https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Tc4ncJgI

The Domestic Geek also has tons of meal prep ideas too.

This is what I have been doing to prep some snacks and lunches. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/05/shrimp-cocktail-masonable.html

An easy dinner for me is Inside Out Egg Rolls. Basically a stir-fry with a protein, coleslaw mix and Asian flavors. It is super fast! I like to serve with edamame too. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html
  • ann_kristen
    ann_kristen Posts: 34 Member
    I usually cook dinner the night before with 2 more servings so my husband and I have leftovers for lunch the next day. Saves time and clean up :)
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Lunch tapas style is my go-to. The variety is endless. Tuna/salmon packet or deli meat, cottage cheese, green beans and baby carrots (any veggie really), some crackers. It usually comes out to be around 300-350 calories. I've found it to be very filling to eat that way. It makes it seem like I'm getting more food than if I were to eat just one big bowl of something.