Yoga

Did anyone had weight loss successes by doing yoga? If so, could you share the major poses/asanas you did to lose weight?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yoga is not a real big calorie burner. I think its "weight loss properties" have more to do with relieving stress and a giving users a sort of body awareness. It's great to get you moving and regular exercise will increase your fitness level.

But, controlling calories in......that's where weight loss will come from. Measure & log everything you eat. Stay within calorie goals.

Move more, and eat a portion of those exercise calories back.
  • rainbowtiedye
    rainbowtiedye Posts: 10 Member
    I don't think yoga is going to be a huge "burner" for calories. However, I do add it into my work out rotation. I alternate between run and strength days, and sometimes for strength days I'll do my weighted exercises or I'll do a 1/2 hour yoga video. I like it because it is less intense, but it allows me to focus on stretching muscles, which feels great! So, I would say add it in as a rotating option, but I don't think it would be the only gateway to weight loss success.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    What they said is pretty much what I'd have posted.

It will nicely complement other more vigorous exercises especially on rest days, although, depending on how advanced the postures are, you may struggle on rest days. :D
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Yoga doesn't burn that much calories unless you are doing a very vigorous practice like power yoga or a very fast paced Vinyasa. As others said, the weight loss will happen with a calorie deficit more than anything. That being said, there are numerous benefits to doing yoga.