Workout at Home Routine

Options
Anyone got a good workout routine for home? I don't have any equipment really. I'm probably going to get back in the gym soon, but I want to try to get going at home first. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and shall grant you infinite high five karma.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Google - you are your own gym. This is a series of body weight exercises.

Fitness Blender has lots of workouts that don't require equipment.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Weight loss, bulking. You can get Dumbbells pretty cheap to start; fitness bands, even jump ropes.
    People use all kinds of videos at home, either DVDs or streaming on YouTube.
    I've been doing mainly cardio with a lot of success but just upped it to more of a mixed martial arts routine with some weights. The sky is really the limit.
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Yeah I've looked on Google but its almost overwhelming. I do have some small 10 pound dumbbells so I'll start there
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have an entire selection of VHS dating back to 1992. Jane Fonda low impact step, Billy Blanks, another kickboxing lady who's name escapes me right now. I have the Firm series with the Fanny Lifter step, circa 2002, its helping me remember where my muscles are. I have beach body but didn't like it so its collecting dust. I just picked up Biggest Loser Xbox 360 Kinect at a thrift store, not sure if I can connect that to the older TV in my spare room (the workout room).

I built a resistance band mount right to a wall stud, I have step boxes, light weights (3-12lbs), and I covered the floor with those golds gym squares that go under workout machines, so I'm not exercising on bare concrete.

I also have my bike, but its too darn hot this time of year.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Go on youtube, plenty of workouts there for you to see if there's a style that floats your boat.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you want a full at-home program, try You Are Your Own Gym. If you want something more gymnastics/calisthenics specific, the "recommended routine" at reddit.com/r/bodyweight is pretty good, and IIRC has free apps for both iOS and Android.

I've done both-YAYOG was great for a base, and now the recommended routine is helpful for branching out a lot more into bodyweight skills and forces me to do things I know are good but I don't love (like planks).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I've got a fully equipped home gym -- power rack weights and all that, as well as a spin bike and rower that cost thousands of $$'s --but was getting a little bored.

So, decided to add some fun-looking cross-fit activities into the mix. Got a used 200 lb tractor tire FREE at my local tire shop, bought a cheap 8# sledge hammer for $15 at Harbor Freight and bought a cheap power sled and 50' battle rope for about $100 combined online at Titan Fitness.

Did a 1hr "circuit" for the 1st time alternately flipping and striking the tire, pulling the sled w/90# on it and flinging the battle rope around in my small backyard yesterday and today I feel totally wasted. Tired and exhausted (in a good way); more tired than I've ever felt after 1hr weightlifting and/or doing 30 mins of cardio on the bike or rower. Not sore but I can feel every muscle was worked and needs times time for recovery.

So, if you have a backyard, you could do the same "at home" for just a few bucks in equipment. The only other things you have to buy (if you don't have them already) are some used weight plates for the power sled which shouldn't cost more than $1/#. Good luck!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Body weight, body weight, body weight! There's nothing wrong with using what you've got ;)

I've found a number of good workouts here: breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/36-weeks-of-bodyweight-workouts-108-workouts

One of my favorites is a quick warm-up jog then sets of push-ups, sit-ups and squats (5-10 rounds of 10/20/30, for example). No equipment needed other than a decent pair of shoes and a flat floor (and a mat, depending on what kind of floor it is).
  • CatFan1019
    CatFan1019 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There is a monthly membership fee but I really like bootcamphub.com
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions! I got a lot of great ideas from you guys!