Options
much2muse
much2muse Posts: 9 Member
And.. Go! Also, feel free to add me if you're a vegan counting calories

Replies

• TheBlizz35
    TheBlizz35 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian food, you will love this. I make it often and it's great with or without the brown rice; especially in the winter when I need something to warm me up. You can certainly play with the amounts to hit the calories you need for the day. Here's my typical serving:

32o9kh1h24c9.png

Recipe link:
    http://www.rawtillwhenever.com/easy-vegan-dal/ **Just remember you must add salt (she leaves it off recipe).

• TheBlizz35
    TheBlizz35 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is another one of my favorites (Mexican quinoa).

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/ I add the avocado at the end over what is cooked. So delicious.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Black bean smothered sweet potatoes ....sounds weird but I love it. The original recipe calls for sour cream as a garnish but it's not required. Two sweet potatoes and one 15 oz can of black beans is four servings. I usually portion all four out at once.

Boil and mash (or bake but I prefer mashed) the sweet potatos. No extra liquid or spices should be required, and don't sweeten it! Drain and rinse the beans. Add half a teaspoon of olive oil to each serving of beans, 1 small or half a large diced tomato, and a dash each of turmeric, ground coriander seed and ground cumin. Heat the bean mixture up (microwave is fine) and dump one serving of the bean mixture over one serving of the potatoes. I get about 250 calories, and it's very filling. Easy to take leftovers for lunches too.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Black bean smothered sweet potatoes ....sounds weird but I love it. The original recipe calls for sour cream as a garnish but it's not required. Two sweet potatoes and one 15 oz can of black beans is four servings. I usually portion all four out at once.

Boil and mash (or bake but I prefer mashed) the sweet potatos. No extra liquid or spices should be required, and don't sweeten it! Drain and rinse the beans. Add half a teaspoon of olive oil to each serving of beans, 1 small or half a large diced tomato, and a dash each of turmeric, ground coriander seed and ground cumin. Heat the bean mixture up (microwave is fine) and dump one serving of the bean mixture over one serving of the potatoes. I get about 250 calories, and it's very filling. Easy to take leftovers for lunches too.

Could add some soyrizo, a lil goes a long way and the combo with the sweet potatoes and black beans is amazing, I also make a sweet potato and black bean chili with soyrizo to die for!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Black beans and sweet potato make a great combination. I like my black beans spicy, Avocado makes a great addition.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Stir-Fry (no rice, just eat lots of vegetables)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So vegan appetizers?
  • maxine1974
    maxine1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your protein high?
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe exactly.. But my freezer is always stocked with different products from Gardein and MorningStar. Although you will need to read the ingredients on the back to confirm it is vegan due to some of their products being vegetarian. I think these brands offer great, healthy, meat-free options for busy nights. Something to keep in mind. I also have some Lenny & Larry Vegan protein cookies in my pantry for the times I want some quick dessert.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    maxine1974 wrote: »
    How do you keep your protein high?

By eating high protein vegan foods? There are tons of options before we even get into talking about processed vegan protein foods.
  • jaxonbayne
    jaxonbayne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always find it funny that ppl are like how do vegans/vegetarians get protein?? It's like even aside from all the mock meats and tofu/soy products, there are so many! I actually don't like/can't eat a lot of mock meats 'cause they can super processed/often have vital wheat gluten in them (I'm allergic) so I pretty much get all my protein from nuts, seeds, one-ingredient nut & seed butters, legumes, beans, grains, & almost all high protein veggies, esp dark leafy greens. Mmmm, so much better than dead animal carcass! Ew!