7lb gain in 3 days- wtf!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I seem to have acquired 1.5k which I can't really account for, so I am taking all this good advice for myself.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Would that 1lb show up straight away, like within 24 hours of eating the excess food?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Would that 1lb show up straight away, like within 24 hours of eating the excess food?

It would take more than 24 hours for your body to process and store the energy in the food. In the 24 hours range, the actual food itself is still in your body and any extra weight is from the food and the water retention associated with processing high amounts of sodium and/or carbohydrates. Also, if you exercise enough to experience muscle pain, you may also be retaining water to help your muscles recover (this is quite common when people exercise hard).
  • Ob30470z
    Ob30470z Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle without eating at a surplus, provided your calories don't get too low.
    Though I agree with the rest of the above, lots of water retention. Don't panic!
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    How long until it goes away then do you think? I drink lots of water every day anyway, at least 10 pint glasses.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    It varies by the person - I can lose water weight in 1-2 days but others have posted that water weight can hang around for several days.

As to the poster above you, it is darn near impossible for the average individual to gain muscle when eating at a deficit. You can increase strength pretty easily (especially at the beginning of a new weight routine), but 99% of the people will simply maintain muscle mass (or minimize muscle loss) in a caloric deficit.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's also coinciding with your tom so you might ave to be patient a little extra long :/
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Doing something is better than doing nothing though? Plus I enjoy it! What difference does the time I ate make?

It doesn't, that advice is bunk. If you want to eat dinner 7 seconds before bed, do you girl. The deficit counts, not the time of day.
  • ashliedelgado
    Options
    As far as how long it takes for water weight to go away, a wild weekend could take me a day or two to get off. But TOM... my experience, 3-4 days for that water weight to go away
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's either increased water weight, or you consumed 24,500 surplus calories. I'm thinking the latter is more likely, there's no way it's extra water retained from all the high sodium food.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ob30470z wrote: »
    You can gain muscle without eating at a surplus, provided your calories don't get too low.
    Though I agree with the rest of the above, lots of water retention. Don't panic!
    Newbie gains, but definitely not in 3 days, though.

• ashliedelgado
    Options
    It's either increased water weight, or you consumed 24,500 surplus calories. I'm thinking the latter is more likely, there's no way it's extra water retained from all the high sodium food.

It's likely not ALL excess water weight from high carb/sodium food, however OP did say that its her time of the month, which also causes water retention.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    All these different things gangin up on me haha!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ob30470z wrote: »

No you can't. You require a caloric surplus to gain muscle!
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gained 4lb from a mini-splurge Sunday night. Generally, will take 4-5 days for weight to come off for me.