Question for the men!! Women lifting.

Options
Okay, I always see people going back and forth about females lifting weights or using the machines with weights. A lot of women say they are scared to walk twards the weights because they are afraid that the big guys will look at them like idiots.
I want to hear from guys themselves, what do you think about women using weights? I don't mean bodybuilding women either. I see so many women with amazing bodies vs women who do just cardio. Personally I think women should use alittle weight to help shape their bodies. It's hot :)

Replies

• dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think women who use free weights are cool, even more when they know how to do it correctly like squat for example, most of the guys I see at my gym only do half squat
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I give much more respect to a woman who at least gives weight lifting a shot, vs a woman who just sticks to the cardio machines 100% of the time. Weight lifting is important and shouldn't be neglected, no matter who you are. Nobody is gonna look down on you for trying to use the weights, I guarantee that.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    <
    this girl loves the free weights & has made friends w/many guys that she met in the free weight area :) I assume they like me there!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    In my opinion everyone is welcome, and everyone who is trying deserves some level of respect.

Most of my problems with people lifting are with guys. Women seem to including "lifting etiquette" as another skill to learn. Some guys just don't get it.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Weightlifting is essential to a well rounded training program. Do it for yourself! But also, guys think it is great. I just got my girlfriend to start Stronglifts hehe.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    In my opinion everyone is welcome, and everyone who is trying deserves some level of respect.

Most of my problems with people lifting are with guys. Women seem to including "lifting etiquette" as another skill to learn. Some guys just don't get it.

Same here! Yeah what is it guys, can you not communicate with people? How many times has a bloke started rearranging the equipment I'm using (alternating sets) rather than asking if I'm done? hahaha
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Any slight toward women would be imagined...unless they were performing horrible gym etiquitte like leaving weights all over, making love to one station (camping), jumpin in, etc.

The hottest women are the ones using freeweights IMHO.

Anyone can use a lame machine. Its safe and boring. Guys dont look for boring women.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Okay, I always see people going back and forth about females lifting weights or using the machines with weights. A lot of women say they are scared to walk twards the weights because they are afraid that the big guys will look at them like idiots.
    I want to hear from guys themselves, what do you think about women using weights? I don't mean bodybuilding women either. I see so many women with amazing bodies vs women who do just cardio. Personally I think women should use alittle weight to help shape their bodies. It's hot :)

You're right, it is hot. I have respect for anybody man or woman that comes into the gym and works smart and hard. Although if you come into the free weight portion of the gym, again man or woman, and take up my power rack to curl I will be pissed at you regardless. LOL.

Free weights have been given the stigma as a man's exercise and Yoga is for women and it's total BS.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Women have every right to lift weights in the weights area and not feel intimidated as anybody else. I don't do a double take when there's a woman using an elliptical machine so why would I do that if they are lifting weights?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Any slight toward women would be imagined...unless they were performing horrible gym etiquitte like leaving weights all over, making love to one station (camping), jumpin in, etc.

I see more men with poor gym etiquette than women. Honestly, women typically clean-up after their selves while men are typically pigs in the gym. They're not too lazy to grab a stack of 45's to load onto a Hammer Strength Decline Bench Press that they're only doing a 1/4 of the range of motion on, but often the best they can do is strip the weights and leave them on the floor. Seriously? LOL
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I think women who use free weights are cool

Yep!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    the guys in my gym love that I'm there....they are friendly and nice...there are only two *kitten* that are a little snarky about me being in there...and have made (I think as I didn't hear them directly) some comments about me being in there...but frankly those guys are douchy to EVERYONE....they feel superior to everyone and want all of us to feel it...

so I just don't pay attention to them anymore...

but for the most part the guys are awesome...they'll even ask me to spot. (really flattered)
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've made so many gym buddies in the men's section. More than one guy has complimented the weight I'm using, and how I'm using it, so I assume they are cool about women lifters.

And if they're not, F em.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Its not whether they think women are idiots for lifting...(I am a guy and I never really thought that deep)....its more the idea the the women are going to out lift the men...
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    They're cool about it,unless you use a bar after them and put more weigh on than them :P love seeing that.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I see women in the weight section doing stuff like squatting, dead lifts, and rows with good form. How am I supposed to do my dead lifts after seeing that?! :tongue:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    This is much more in women's heads than in actuality. Honestly most people dont care about what anyone else is doing
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, don't ever be intimidated by anyone in the gym, free weight area or not. Most guys in the free weights will help a lady. Those that don't or make rude comments are punks!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Here here! I am tired of reracking the 6 45lb plates you think you can squat. Also, I generally see women using the correct area for said lifts... Ex. SO many guys doing curls/bent over barbell row in the squat rack.
  • jp_cullen
    jp_cullen Posts: 9
    Options
    Women lifting is awesome! However I would probably be afraid of a woman who could out bench me.