trouble meeting protein goal....ugh

Options
2»

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    IMO, eggs have a really poor protein:fat ratio so I rarely eat whole eggs and I don't really think of them as a high protein food.

Obviously, chicken and fish will help you out, but the main issue is that you're not eating *enough* of your protein sources. Like chicken, you had 4 oz. That's not very much. Maybe go for 6 oz or 8 oz next time.

I often eat an entire pound of chicken in a day, plus tuna, protein shakes, and an egg-white omelet with cheese (cheese is my favorite fat source) and my protein goal is only 140.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're not a huge protein powder lover I do not recommend Optimum Nutrition. Try Trutein if you decide to switch brands-- it's very good.

I also think 1 g/pound of weight is excessive. I'd do 1 gram per pound of lean mass, which is the general rule of thumb you usually see for lifters.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

This one has a lot of information about the research on protein intake and about the recommendations for different circumstances:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1158604

I believe the Stronglifts guy is mainly aiming his recommendation toward people who are pretty lean. The leaner you get, the more protein you need. With 44 lbs to lose still, I think 1 gram per pound of weight is probably more than you need.
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    That's a pretty high protein goal. If it's uncomfortable to meet that objective, maybe just knock it down a bit to a level you can accomplish.

Actually, its on the lower end for someone who lifts heavy 4xs a week.

This isn't really true; as you said in your OP it depends on your weight.
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    NECRO THREAD PEOPLE.

Gosh. MFP needs to just lock threads that are over 2 months old or something.

DANGIT.

Now I'm a zombie.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    NECRO THREAD PEOPLE.

Gosh. MFP needs to just lock threads that are over 2 months old or something.
    Hence, my response wasn't necessarily directed at the OP, but for anyone reading the thread thinking they need large amounts of protein.