When did you know?

Options
So there are a lot of you out there with amazing success stories but also a lot of you (like me) who have tried multiple times to lose weight and for whatever reason got off track. My question for those of you who are succeeding now was there a particular moment where you realized that this time was different/ would be successful? Did the process feel different from the other times you tried? Or did you just sort of realize you were actually doing this one day? Did something in particular help you when you finally succeeded?

For me, it's early days yet but this time feels different/easier somehow than before. I've managed to say no to things that other people were eating without really regretting it. I've also done between 20-60 minutes of some kind of activity every day and I'm actually enjoying it. I just feel a little more at peace with myself I guess. I'm sure at some point it will be hard again but I'm hoping by the time it happens this behavior will be a habit.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I only tried once and it took.
    I was so disgusted with a photo of myself there was no way I was going to fail.

Cheers, h.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not even to my goal weight yet, and I "knew" it was going to succeed by the time I'd reached a 20 lb loss. A couple of years ago I stepped on the scale at my Dr's office and they recorded that I'd lost 10 lb in 3 months. The Dr asked me what I had done and I answered, "I don't know." Three months later, I'd gained it all back. I still didn't know. With mfp, I know.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I started using MFP. I didn't know how it was going to go. Calorie counting was just something I hadn't tried before. I did it, and it worked. End of story, pretty much.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would start then stop for years. I would lose 10 lbs then I'd stop working out. The end of 2014, I was sick and tired of myself looking and feeling the way I did and vowed to begin losing weight for 2015. I started off just walking, then a month later I joined a gym and haven't looked back since. I didn't like to take pictures and hating looking at myself in the mirror. I used to get attention from guys but that stopped as I gained more weight. So I'm slowly getting my confidence back, I'm not afraid to take pictures and I'll get an occasional smile or nod from guys. I still have a long way to go, but I vow to NEVER be the size I was ever again.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I stopped denying a ton of problems i ignored previously. I would workout but not diet or do low carb diets imagining a day I could eat what I was before a diet. I was never quite sure how to get there or how to get there faster.
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For me, my ah ha moment was when my friend asked "have you been gaining weight?" And I burst into tears. At that moment, I was the heaviest I'd ever been (204 lbs at 5'8") and part of it was due to me being in the hospital and bedridden recently. She's an honest friend and tells me the truth, but it's motivated since to lose that weight. I jumped onto MFP and realized I haven't been eating healthy and learned portion control. I've lost 12 lbs, but still have a ways to go. Currently at 192 and would love to be 140lb. I'm happy with my progress so far :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have had several particular moments.
    • The first one, I think, was the "anticlimax" when a friend explained to me, as the "lifestyle change" feeling I had been looking for, never seemed to materialize, that it was just a sign that what I was doing, was going to stick.
    • Then the deep realization that there is no wagon/track/horse/whatever. It's just "life".
    • Then the surreal feeling from noticing that education and liberation from dogma had influenced my eating habits, attitudes and food preferences, and that I overall, automatically, had started to make better food choices without thinking about what I "should" and "shouldn't" eat.
    • Then I realized that I didn't worry about regaining anymore - I just have to keep doing what I am doing (but if I stop doing that, I'll regain. But I don't think that will pose a problem, because I like what I'm doing. Maintaining weight and good health is just a pleasant side effect).
    • Then I was made aware of why I had this uneasy feeling whenever I ended a meal without being stuffed. Remembering and realizing how tense eating situations really were when I grew up, made me finally challenge that, and I don't feel compelled to stuff myself anymore.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I only tried once and it took.
    I was so disgusted with a photo of myself there was no way I was going to fail.

Cheers, h.

This mirrors my own story, to a degree. I did see a climb from the mid-180s to mid-190s at one point. However, that was still nowhere near my starting 265. Once I saw 195 show up on the scale, it was back to a proper deficit, and now down into the low 150s. I am determined to never again be the foul behemoth that I once was. Failure is unacceptable to me.
  • KhadijahSmith
    KhadijahSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I realized I had fallen in love with exercise. In the past I had known people like that, who never missed their "gym time" and were passionate about it, but I thought they were nuts: How could anyone ENJOY that? But now I am convinced of its benefits and dedicated to my workouts. And with that piece of the puzzle in place, weight loss has become painless. Results are more than just numbers on a scale, but also include building muscle, strength, endurance, and losing stubborn mesenteric fat.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale. I bought one on clearance and was like "this is dumb and still won't work", and yet...here I am. That combined with paying attention to how certain foods make me feel. This is realizing the difference between "I'm hungry" and "I'm not full" combined with knowing there are some things that taste delicious, but my stomach hurts afterwards so I decide they're not worth it.

I'm a little past my halfway point now, and as of a couple months ago regular exercise has helped too. I'm in such a habit now that unless I'm taking time off for an injury, I don't feel my best if I skip a day. I took yesterday off the gym because I had a dentist appointment and then somewhere to be just after, but I ended up going for a walk in the evening anyway because I just felt weird without exercising.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    This time I had a method that I knew worked for me (logging/writing down) combined with direct access to a calorie data base and always ready to log.
    Journalling always worked for me, but the looking up in tables and where on earth did I put that book think did not. MFP was just the method I liked, combined with ease of use and being able to see my days logging etc (appealing to the inner geek), I knew this would stick
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me the turning point was when my doctor said my BMI was too high for the combined contraceptive pill. In England if your BMI is over 33 then you're not allowed the combined pill, and this was the first time I was ever medically too fat for anything (I'm in my 20s). Some other people have touched on this but I thought if the first thing is being too fat for oral contraceptives, where does it stop? Does it stop with diabetes, heart problems, being 25+ stone? Enough was enough and that gave me enough to take it seriously and do it for real.

I'm having a hard time with a serious plateau at the moment after moving house and starting a new job, but looking back on my progress is what keeps me going.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP did it.

Not just the site but the people on the site who educated me on food and nutrition etc.

I was encouraged not to label foods as good and bad and not give up my favourite foods.

Anytime prior I thought I had to not eat this or eat that etc.

and most importantly I learned how to live in maintenance...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I need knee replacement surgery and was told to lose 20lbs. So I have lost almost 100. I am on the list, waiting for my turn. I dont think my surgeon will recognize me. But basically, I have been successful at weight loss before, using a food journal. This, paired with the scale and the calorie counting, just seemed to click with me and the weight loss has seemed to me to be almost effortless - I still eat all the food I love, but less of it, and have been rewarded with lower weight. Maintenance is another story - I am hoping that everything I have learned over the last 9 months will help me to keep weight off. Its where I have struggled in the past.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a small life changing event that started things. I knew it was going to stick as soon as 20 lbs came off and people started treating me differently. I had forgotten what it was like to walk through a grocery store and have people turn their heads.