Getting over the fear of the treadmill...

Options
So I've lost alot of weight. I'm down around 175ish lbs from where I started. I was at 388, am at about 213 right now. One of my last goals is to run a 5k. I have no doubt I can physically do it, but mentally I guess I can't get over the fact that I feel I don't know how to run properly I guess? that probably makes no sense.

I can do 20 miles easy on a bike at a time, no problems at all.. feel great. I know running is a different beast though. Any suggestions? The race I want to do isn't till October so I have some time, but I figure I need to do the treadmill at the gym first then work on running outside after that, but everytime I go to the gym I walk right by the treadmill and head for the bike haha.

I know it's all in my head, but I don't know how to get over my fear of running.

Replies

• madguru7
    madguru7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Before I worked my way up to running 3-5 miles a day I started with a very fast walk. I think it was 4 or 4.2 mph on the treadmill. Before long I was adding 10 minutes of running and then 20 etc.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If you want to try it then just start by walking on it.
    After you are comfortable then try jogging. Then running.
    You can do it!
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just started running this summer. I hated hated hated running and never wanted to do it but my sister does marathons and finally got me inspired to try. I say if you want to run run and skip the treadmill. I tried to do the treadmill and was getting nowhere with it. It is alot easier to run outside. Now, I live on a nice size property so I do laps on a trail in our yard but I could run on the road. I started off on the treadmill doing run/walk but that really didn't help me improve. Instead what I did was run as slow as I possibly could run and worked on my distance. Once I got up to where I could run for 30 minutes, then I started working on improving my speed. That's sort of where I am now. I still don't run very fast and have just now gotten to 3 miles but I never thought I'd be able to run for 30 minutes so I'm happy with my progress.

Just try it. If you can find a place where you feel more comfortable, a private trail or something like that, then maybe you could do that.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend research and work on glute strengthening as a place to start. Weak glutes result in pain and injury. A strong gluteus medius is especially important as it controls the hip with each stride. When I tore my IT Band, my sports medicine doctor & PT said it was a result of a weak gluteus medius.

Walk/run cycles as an intro to running are the standard. But glute strengthening should be part of training.

If you are training for a race, I'd recommend running outside as much as possible. Treadmills with the mechanical belts alter the running stride. The belt pushes the "ground" under the runner, making it easier to run. Plus there is no wind resistance or topography changes. You develop better and faster running in real world conditions. Besides treadmills are boring as heck.
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm seconding couch to 5K. It's a really nice app that gets you moving.

And who says you have to start indoors? If you're worried about the treadmill, skip it. I personally like using the treadmill because I know I'm 100% in control of what's happening and I'm motivated by running the extra 15 seconds or .1 mph faster than the last go around.

Good luck! You can definitely do this.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'll be running your race outside so learning on the treadmill won't help much anyway, might as well get used to being outside now- skip the treadmill, start running outside using the c25k app.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The treadmill was an awesome tool for me when I didn't want to run alone in the dark or in running clothes in public in the light. I used it as a quad and foot strengthening exerciser by going slow and sort of steep, in my socks instead of running shoes. On the weekends I ran outside. I trained for a 10K in 6 months this way - incorporating intervals and cross training. All without hurting my knees or falling off the belt. The best exercise is one you are going to do. Good luck and have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to skip the dreadmill.

This
    Get an app like Couch to 5K and start working through it.

And this
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I too started running on the TM using C25K. It is a great way to control your pace and distance. I only ran outside once before my first race and that race went just fine. Use some music or the TV to pass the time. Good luck!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Couch to 5k app. It's what got me running and these days I'm able to go the full 5k no problem. I am weird in that I like the treadmill so I do a lot of my running there during the week, but I also run outside on the weekends to make sure I can still do it. :smile: Having really good, motivating music is what keeps me from getting too bored on the treadmill. That, and throwing in some intervals now and then to mix things up.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It took a lot of prodding from friends to start running, but I just finished C25K - I'm now signed up for my first race in September! Who knew?

I definitely prefer outside, but since we'll be in the mid-to-upper 90's here in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future, you may want to start on the treadmill for a few weeks. Move outdoors when you can though, since you'll probably have at least a few hills to prepare for on your 5k route in October. You can do it! B)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the C25K plan, or look into Galloway method for simple interval training. Download a free interval app for your phone. You can start simple, like 3 minutes walking followed by 30 seconds running (repeat) and gradually add to your running time.

I do use both the real world and treadmill. I run faster in the real world. I was initially nervous about running outside, but once I got outside I loved it. Treadmill for me is sometimes just convenient as its in my basement.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Echo the C25K advice - definitely a great place to start and certainly turned me from someone who could barely run a minute into someone that could run 5K no problem.

The best advice for someone starting running is to start off slow - nearly everyone starts off trying to run too fast.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    The best advice for someone starting running is to start off slow - nearly everyone starts off trying to run too fast.

I followed this thought while doing C25K: "If you can run any slower you are running too fast". There is plenty of time ahead to run faster.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I followed this thought while doing C25K: "If you can run any slower you are running too fast". There is plenty of time ahead to run faster.

Looking back at the Strava trace for my own C25K W1D1 I was actually doing the running bits at up to 5:30min/km pace - no wonder I was struggling...

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Agreeing with all of the above. I realize that a treadrill is walking just as being outside is walking, but to me they are two different animals.
    I love cycling, and I did it by just getting on a road bike. If my only option was a stationary bike, it never would have happened. Same with walking...I loathe treadmills, but could walk outdoors everyday.
    The best way to train for an outdoor 5K is to walk outdoors. The inclines and terrain are different, which for me always seems to provide a higher calorie burn, too. Im not an equipment girl, I guess.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll start at my local high school track and run a few laps and see how I feel and go from there.

I went to the gym tonight and passed up the treadmill for the bike just like every other night.. .so outside running it is haha.