binge eating and overreating

Leila2289
Leila2289 Posts: 23 Member
Hey all,

I really struggle with binge eating and am not about 30 lbs overweight. I don't know if anyone else really struggles with it and has found any coping mechanisms.

Thanks

Replies

• Leila2289
    thanks for the help. Do you plan what you are going to eat the day before?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes. I live alone and have a pretty predictable schedule, so I can plan a lot a long time in advance. I use a spreadsheet; I find that easier for the planning part, than the food diary (I don't even use that anymore). I plan so that I can both use up persihables in a timely manner, and get tasty combinations. Each meal have their own templates, so I just fill in the details when I know what I am going to eat. When I want something in particular, I find a "slot" for it. Dinners follow a weekly rotation; Fridays are reserved for experiments and whims. The meal plan is filled in more and more completely as "tomorrow" approaches, and I stick to that almost 100%, sometimes switch out or around minor details, but the main idea is always very clear the day before.

I like knowing not just that "I'm going to be fed", but eactly what and when I am going to eat (I don't have fixed meal times, but I will eat four times, so I have to make time for it). Dieting is a form of "food insecurity" even if we have imposed it on ourselves, deliberately and "voluntarily", so it's no wonder many people struggle with food after trying to lose weight. Meal planning has been part of my "treatment" for overeating and food resentment. I love food now, I don't abuse it anymore.
  • Leila2289
    you like draw out your own template? wow I wish I had the discipline. Where do you get a lot of your recipes from? I am not a very good cook
    02172009 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm a binge eater as well please add me
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Leila2289 wrote: »
    you like draw out your own template? wow I wish I had the discipline. Where do you get a lot of your recipes from? I am not a very good cook

It doesn't take discipline, in the sense we usually think about discipline. A good plan just aligns your wants and needs. And I think it's fun, kind of a game/puzzle. The meals aren't fancy - breakfast is either two crispbread with some kind of cheese/meat/fish spread and a small glass of whole milk, or porridge with butter, and about 80 grams of raw vegetables, and a piece of fruit. Lunch can be the same as breakfast, and/or noodles, omelet, smoothie, hot cocoa, salad or leftovers. Dinner is either vegetable soup+dessert, or casserole, or a simple protein+starch+vegetable combo. Fridays are open for anything, and Saturdays are pancakes, pizza or cheese on toast+raw vegetables. Evening meal is fruit+nuts+vegetables, maybe smoothie, some delicious cheese, or Greek yogurt+nuts+honey.

I'm not an advanced cook, but I know enough to put together tasty meals for myself (which isn't, and shouldn't be regarded as, difficult). I don't use a lot of recipes, but when I do, I google [ingredients+recipe], and I just use them for hints and inspiration. Mostly I stick to my own, modified and simplified, favorites.