Why oh why do I sabotage myself?

Options
I have periods of time when I am so focused and manage really well. But once I fall off the wagon that's it! It's so hard to get back on! Every day I tell myself today is the day and I start off with the best intentions only to ruin it by the end of the day. Why can't I stop myself from reaching for the crisps/chocolate/ice cream? I know I would never stop having them completely and I like to have a little of what I fancy every day but I can't stop at a little bit lately :/ why??? I'm getting married next September and have around 80 pounds to lose. It's not going to happen at this rate :/

Replies

• BAFCH
    BAFCH Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm exactly the same as you and know how you feel. It's a horrible feeling! I know that I can eat anything I like as long as in within my calorie goal, but it just doesn't work for me. I've tried this and I can't seem to stop myself and convince myself 'just one more' but it never is just one more and I end up inhaling the whole packet of whatever it is. It isn't healthy for me to keep this up, and like you I have very good spells and then not so good spells.

I have now decided that I will not eat anything that I know I will want more and more of, ie; biscuits, chips, potatoes etc. It's a constant downward spiral that I'm sick of now and need to take control of! It's the only way it will work for me!

Good luck with it, I'm going to follow this post to see if there are any tips I can get! :)
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The thing is I know if I completely give up on them I will end up having a massive binge 3-4 weeks later. Whereas when I am being "good" I can be in control of how much I have. The problem is when I have a break- went on holiday 3 weeks ago which is when we got engaged. Since coming back I've just not been able to pull it back and I think I feel so bad about my weight gain (5 pounds) that it's making me sabbotage myself. I just need to get a grip and stop messing around otherwise I will be a fat bride :(
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Don't bring the trigger foods in the house. When you get the cravings, feel them, don't panic or reach for food, and ride them out. The carb cravings will pass. I usually test to see if it is true hunger by asking myself if I would eat some salad or veggies. IF it is true hunger then I eat something on plan within my calorie daily total goal.
  • RCStrangeacres
    RCStrangeacres Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I "follow" this thread? I am also one of those people that cannot eat whatever I want, staying in my calorie count. Fat=fat, sugar=sugar to my body, doesn't matter where it comes from. I tried clean eating for almost a year, and gained 20 lbs. I am definately a sugar addict too. Self sabotage hits like "well, it's 9am and I already screwed up, so might as well continue to eat bad for the rest of the day and start tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow...l". Lol
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How largo of a deficit do you give yourself? For me, if I have too large of a deficit, I end up in a binge and just maintain. I lose weight slower with a small deficit but I feel more satisfied and I don't end up in a binge.
  • BAFCH
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Don't bring the trigger foods in the house. When you get the cravings, feel them, don't panic or reach for food, and ride them out. The carb cravings will pass. I usually test to see if it is true hunger by asking myself if I would eat some salad or veggies. IF it is true hunger then I eat something on plan within my calorie daily total goal.

I like this idea and the approach is great, definitely think this will help me!

I'm going to start testing now and riding it out instead of giving in so easily.
    I'll eat those chips or crisps because I can, not because I'm hungry and I need to train myself that it isn't okay. My body doesn't need it, it is satisfied already - it's just my eyes that seem to want everything!
  • BAFCH
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How do I "follow" this thread? I am also one of those people that cannot eat whatever I want, staying in my calorie count. Fat=fat, sugar=sugar to my body, doesn't matter where it comes from. I tried clean eating for almost a year, and gained 20 lbs. I am definately a sugar addict too. Self sabotage hits like "well, it's 9am and I already screwed up, so might as well continue to eat bad for the rest of the day and start tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow...l". Lol

I could have written this because I was the same when it came to sugar cravings!
    I hardly ever get them now as I cut sugary treats out completely because I can't seem to grasp the "in moderation" thing. I just can't do it.

It took a long long time though, and of course I'm not advising to cut them out completely. I have just found what worked for me, and now I get the sugar cravings few and far between. If I do, I will have half a glass of Coke Zero, that usually curbs the sweet tooth!
    It's the potatoes/chips/crisps that I'm working on to cut down a lot more. Some great advice here about riding the carb cravings out, rather than giving in. I'd reach for a second bag of chips without a second thought, even if it is within the calorie goal. If I wouldn't eat a carrot, but would eat a bag of chips instead - my answer is there in black and white!
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Debsozo about the "trigger" foods. If you don't control all the food that comes in the house, you can still do it. I eat things that satisfy me within my calorie deficit and macros, and keep my eye on the ball in regard to my goals. Sometimes I miss Hostess Cupcakes, but I allow myself to have that thought and then move on. Maybe, someday, I'll eat them again, but not now, because I have goals that are more important. Also, a little cocoa powder and cashew milk in my coffee is muy delicioso.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    BAFCH wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

I like this idea and the approach is great, definitely think this will help me!

I'm going to start testing now and riding it out instead of giving in so easily.
    I'll eat those chips or crisps because I can, not because I'm hungry and I need to train myself that it isn't okay. My body doesn't need it, it is satisfied already - it's just my eyes that seem to want everything!

I find if I give in to the Craving then I almost always regret it. Sometimes when I'm trying to ride out Craving I will have a glass of water. If it's still there after a while I will have some veggies.

At other times, when appropriate between long meal stretches, I will roll up a piece or two of dark leafy lettuce with a slice of lean meat or cheese as a snack. That will often switch away the taste for sugar, plus the protein is slow to digest so I have a lower calorie solution that stops the craving.

Other times I'll eat something strong and slightly bitter, sour, or tangy to break the craving cycle like a bite of purple turnip, a radish, or a dill pickle. These seem to "jolt" me out of a sugar craving. If I'm craving salty I might have some vegetable soup. If these things don't work I'll tell myself that the next meal is in xyz minutes, and I won't die between meals. Then I'll go far away from the kitchen to divert myself.

Another technique is to tell myself that I don't want the bloat for 3 days and a splurge won't be worth it. If I can get some reasoning into my brain then I can talk myself out of eating a trigger food. It is best if I don't start and (for me) choose to avoid the bad consequences rather than to tell myself, "I'll only eat just a taste." NOT! (Everyone is different. This is how I navigate around a craving.)
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't have that in the house. Esp crisps. I now make my own popcorn 3 cups is like 100 cals! I'm now at a point I can control so I can have say Cadbury favourites in fridge, knowing how many calories in each I say I put 2 choc in my count for the next day. But that's because I can stop at 2. If u can't don't have them in house or go buy one individual one if craving. Can't have crisps though! When I did want them I bough an individual bag, tracked it n fit it in my count.no guilt! Life's to short to eat salad and chicken breast every day!
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with salt solves a lot of my cravings. I have some good popped popcorn and himalayan pink sea salt. I put a lot of salt on it and can eat a bowl for very few calories. I simply cannot buy food that I will binge on (candy, crisps, chocolate, ice cream) because I will eat it all.
  • purplemoonpie
    purplemoonpie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I keep nothing in the house that is bad. Also, I keep nothing in the house that allows me to over-indulge and go over the correct portion. My sugar cravings were horrendous at first but now my body is accustomed to not having it and so I no longer crave chocolate. I keep watermelon cut up for a sweet snack.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting the stuff out of the house. Another trick, when you are craving something, stop & drink a glass of water. See if you still want it after the water. Also try taping pictures of your dream dress various places to motivate you.

However with bridal sizing & the costs be careful. While I commend you for wanting to change, bridal sizing runs small. It's rather disheartening. Plus the dresses are sooooo expensive & they take time to order. You don't want to buy a dress expecting to lose weight & then have it not fit. As upsetting as this may be, buy your dress at the size you are now but with the advice of a good seamstress about what style can be drastically taken in when you reach your goal. Better that way then a dress you can't let out.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Firstly, there is nothing wrong with being a fat bride (ah! It cut the rest of my post off!!!)
    I was a fat bride and being thinner wouldn't have made the day I married my best friend any happier. It was about us committing to each other forever, not how many inches on my waist.
    Secondly, you gotta view your food as fuel. Filling up with sweet things and such does nothing for you. Just hurts you in the long run.
    I was diagnosed with Type -2 diabetes recently, I was advised to monitor my carb intake and watch my portion sizes. I have noticed that since I did that my cravings for sweets and other salty/sugary snacks has almost disappeared. The first week was tough but since then it's been plain sailing. Maybe give that a go?

Congratulations on your engagement by the way
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also don't bring trigger foods in the house. But I do plan an endulgent treat daily. I make a mug cake or plan chocolate or ice cream into my calories. If I feel like I'm depriving myself I have cycles of binging on treats. And sometimes I don't need the treat. Since I know it's available daily I have an easier time saying no.