Introverts crushed or embarrassed in group class?

Options
So I have been athletic from a very young age and I just keep moving. I tend to be misunderstood as an introvert. I usually try to keep quiet during the class with no grunting, heavy breathing or noise and when I am concentrating on form, focusing on breathing or trying to get to my "happy place" while lactic acid builds up. I tend to come across as "serious". I think when I am in my own head concentrating on anything people think I am angry so sometimes I try to plaster smiles on just so they don't misjudge me, but when I'm working out I want to spend all my energy focusing on what my body is doing and not how the instructor perceives my lack of cheesy smile.

During the strength train of the class I went to get my mat and I overheard the instructor say "thank God" in his mic (because he thought I was leaving). When I went back to my spot he said "oh you are staying".

I just thought that was so rude. I just tried to finish out the workout pretending that I didn't hear it, but now I feel like I pretty much never want to go to those workouts again. I would go to those workouts feeling lousy and leave feeling happy. This time was different and he is a relatively new instructor to the studio. I don't like to exaggerate emotion so maybe instructors get irritated if they feel like I don't like the class or something. Makes me sad that I probably will not continue these classes. This is my third year with this group :embarassed: and enjoy other students there who I really look up to.

Does anyone ever experience instructors like that? I'm feeling a bit discouraged and wondering if I smell or what I did other than be myself. I tend to think it's not me because there are other instructors who have asked me to be an instructor. I am just a quiet person. Especially in large groups, unless I am trying to pretend to be an extrovert amongst the extroverts. When I work out, I just want to be myself though.

Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like more the instructor's problem than yours. Don't give up and let that rude jerkoff win. Go back and do your thing.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I just tried to finish out the workout pretending that I didn't hear it, but now I feel like I pretty much never want to go to those workouts again.

Not to be rude but F'em. If you enjoy the class and do it the way you want, forget them. Just keep going and doing what you like, the way you like to. They shouldn't judge you.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What an odd thing for a teacher to say. It's to the teacher's advantage to have higher class attendance. I would be proactive, and tell him how much you enjoyed the class, and how his instruction helped you focus inward, or something like that.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As an introvert too I totally get what you are saying. Amazed that a teacher of all people would say something like that when he should be encouraging you to stay. Reminds me of my college days--I was walking behind classmates in the hall, not someone that I really knew. They didn't realize I was there, and I could tell that they were describing me--they said "she is such a snob". Honestly I was just too terrified to actually speak to anyone. The whole scene is burned into my brain. These days I usually at least have the confidence to ignore things like that and do what I want though I'll always be soft spoken.