Paddle boarding

I'm going to Hawaii for a week next month (yay!) and want to try paddle boarding.
2 years ago I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus, which didn't work. The surgeon told me the only answer was a knee replacement, I told him "goodbye" and have done all I can to strengthen it. I swim almost every day and walk 5-7 miles 5 days a week but still have trouble using stairs.
How much strain does paddle boarding put on one's knees?

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    I did it in Mexico a few months ago and LOVED it. I'll be doing it again in a few weeks while on summer vacation, but I wish we had more lake areas nearby where I live so I could do it regularly.

I have occasional bursitis flare ups in my knees and didn't experience any discomfort with paddle boarding. The strength will come from your core and glutes to keep your balance. Keep a soft bend in your knees if that's more comfortable but I don't think you'll have an issue. There isn't the hard jarring like skiing or snowboarding. Remember too that you can also sit or kneel on the board.

Have fun with it! and enjoy your trip!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I've done it once and didn't feel it in my "bad" knee (ACL tear/meniscus tear/surgery both times). A good friend of mine has a litany of knee issues and she paddleboards regularly.

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Great to hear! Thank you