Building Glutes without Building Quads - can be done; I'm 45 and doing it

Options
serapel
serapel Posts: 502 Member
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a while :)

I finally found out how to build glutes without building quads. You will still have nice quads even with these exercises, but they won't bulk up your quads. You'll get that beautiful booty you always wanted.

I'm 5'8" and 129 lbs. I started 3 months ago at 128 lbs, but my waist was 1 inch wider and my hips were 1 inch smaller (gained an inch in my booty :smiley: ). My thighs are the same, but they look way shaplier.

I am quad dominant and my quads always try to take over. I end up with knee injuries as a result of imbalances. I hired a personal trainer for 3 months and she worked with me and I finally achieved the beginnings of my goals.

Basics before you begin::

1. Mind - muscle connection - always put weight on heels...NEVER balls of feet - will stop you from using knees

2. Tell your brain to use your glutes...always do your leg exercises focusing on lifting/pulling with glutes

3. If you have small bum...do a glute program twice a week.

4. Activate your glutes first with body weight glute exercises (google them)

HERE IS THE PROGRAM I AM DOING (protect knees and focus on hams and glutes)

1. Reverse lunges (step back far as you can before bending knees; put all weight on front heel)
(warm up set 15 reps, then 3 weighted sets of 10-12 reps) Me: holding 2 15lb weights

2. Curtsey Lunge (same as reverse lung in terms of sets, reps and weight)

3. Barbell Glute Bridge (warm up set, heavy as you can for 3 sets of 10-12 reps MUST BURN) - make sure you have proper form - point pelvic muscle to ceiling lifting off heels - if you don't get high enough, glutes won't activate fully; lower weight if you need to)

4. Reverse Hack Squat (warm up set; heavy as you can for 3 sets of 10-12 reps - focus on glutes; lift off from heels) Me: currently adding 25lbs to hack squat machine

5. One Leg Hip Thrusts - do as many as you can using body weight...just kill it

6. Back Extension - do as many as you can holding a weight. I am holding 20lbs now doing 35.

7. Glute Bridges - as much weight as you can lift. Go up on toes on this one bc your knees are safe.

8. Cable Pull Throughs - warm up set and 3 sets of 10-12 reps as much weight as you can bare (I'm currently at 70lbs)

9. Cable Kick Backs straight leg - lighter weight as many as you can do

10. Cable Kick Backs bent leg - lighter weight as many as you can do

11. Cable Donkey Kick - you can do heavy on this one (3 sets of 10-12 reps)

12. Cable Donkey Kick using leg press machine - go heavy (google it)

13. Stability Ball Exercises for Glutes: Hamstring curl, Glute Bridge, etc.

There is also walking lunges, but I find when I do that; even with proper form, it activates my quads too much, so I don't do it.

You can alternate this exercises, but weighted glute bridge, one leg hip thrusts and reverse hack squats a must for each glute day IMO.

Anyone can think of anything else that focuses on glutes only and takes focus OFF quads?

Replies

• serapel
    Options
    I wish I had pictures of my progress :blush: I have no pics in my profile either. I've been lifting weights since I was 22, but now I am getting more serious about it bc I'm older and want to protect my bones and keep my balance.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You do 13+ exercises for glute workouts twice a week? How long does this take you?

I've never attempted to build glutes without building quads because, if anything, I need to build my quads. But Bret Contreras has a piece for women who want to do this: https://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would disagree that many of these don't work the quads, at least from a secondary or stabilizer function. And really the main thing that bulks women (outside of steroids) is fat. Basically, I think you recomped (lost some fat and gained a little muscle) at the same time.

But I am glad it's working for you.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    How many sets/reps for the weighted glute bridges? I wonder if too much focus would be on quads with a small shoulder elevation (hip thrust) as I find barbell bridges uncomfortable. Will give this training a try.

Band work helps too (clams, seated, walking and rotations).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    glute ham raises. straight leg deadlift.
  • serapel
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You do 13+ exercises for glute workouts twice a week? How long does this take you?

I've never attempted to build glutes without building quads because, if anything, I need to build my quads. But Bret Contreras has a piece for women who want to do this: https://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/

I love the "Glute Guy". I read all of his articles. He's very informative. Thanks
  • serapel
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would disagree that many of these don't work the quads, at least from a secondary or stabilizer function. And really the main thing that bulks women (outside of steroids) is fat. Basically, I think you recomped (lost some fat and gained a little muscle) at the same time.

But I am glad it's working for you.

Yes they do work quads, but focusing the energy into your glutes ensures that the quads don't "take over" which is my issue. I can't barbell squat properly for that reason, so I just junked it, but it's also great.

I have lost approx 1% bf and gained 2 lbs of muscle since April.

• serapel
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

haha! I don't do all these everytime. I pick about 5 of them and kill it. I alternate so that all the muscle fibers are worked regularly.

My butt is growing. I was showing a couple of trainers in the change room yesterday and they were laughing at me bc I was so excited. They agreed that it's growing.
  • serapel
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    How many sets/reps for the weighted glute bridges? I wonder if too much focus would be on quads with a small shoulder elevation (hip thrust) as I find barbell bridges uncomfortable. Will give this training a try.

Band work helps too (clams, seated, walking and rotations).

Weighted glute bridges I go really heavy...100 lbs. I do one warm up set and then kill it will 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps if I can handle it.

You can also try weigthed hip thrusts using the knee extension machine. Check out Britany Lesser. She is really knowledgeable on glutes. She came in first place in a competition in Florida. She's really down to earth and helpful in her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvCqBXZFzE
  • serapel
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Quads on a woman are sexy, imho.

Kim Valentine, Marisa Inda... <3

yes! Forgot about thos. I've been doing American Deadlift 70 lbs.

I also like Good Mornings. You can focus on your glutes on these too. It mainly works lower back, but glutes can sneak in there too ;)
  • serapel
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    glute ham raises. straight leg deadlift.

sorry, my post above was meant in response to you. I 'm new to MFP.

Glute ham raises can be done with cables as well and also leg extension machine. I saw it on Google. I tried it last week on leg extension machine and it was killer. I was able to lift 30lbs
  • serapel
    Options
    Forgot the almighty...BUTT BLASTER!!!! How could I forget the Butt Blaster!!!! If you don't have a butt blaster in your gym, use the ham glute raise machine thingy...Google it for a video.

I tried it last week and it was very good.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Building one part of the body at the expense of all others is foolish - you risk serious muscle imbalances which may affect posture and will probably cause back problems.
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Romanian deadlifts and stiff leg deadlift. Many of which can be done with dumbbells
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Building one part of the body at the expense of all others is foolish - you risk serious muscle imbalances which may affect posture and will probably cause back problems.

And this.
  • serapel
    edited July 2016
    Options

And this.

I'm doing upper body workout twice a week (including rotations using cables and olympic bar). My trainer worked with me for 3 months and I am very healthy and feel strong. Also doing good mornings with olympic bar plus 10 lbs for lower back.

Calling this "foolish" is not helpful.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

And this.

I'm doing upper body workout twice a week (including rotations using cables and olympic bar). My trainer worked with me for 3 months and I am very healthy and feel strong. Also doing good mornings with olympic bar plus 10 lbs for lower back.

Since you're quad dominant your trainer has provided a remedial program to work on your rear posterior chain. That is fine. To promote this as some sort of general work out that others could benefit from is foolish (and dangerous).
    I finally found out how to build glutes without building quads. You will still have nice quads even with these exercises, but they won't bulk up your quads. You'll get that beautiful booty you always wanted.

• serapel
    Options

And this.

Since you're quad dominant your trainer has provided a remedial program to work on your rear posterior chain. That is fine. To promote this as some sort of general work out that others could benefit from is foolish (and dangerous).

Of course each program is tailored to an individual, but there is no harm in doing the glute exercises I provided and the benefits are plentiful. This thread is about building the glutes and many women are interested. There is absolutely no harm in sharing information which I paid $100 per hour for. The glute muscle is the most underused and inactive muscle in today's society due to our sitting down jobs. It's also the biggest muscle in our body with so much potential for strength and growth. The glutes can help support your lower back when strong.

Other benefits of glute exercises is the added benefit of sexy legs bc let's face it, most of the exercises I posted, WILL work the quads and hams. It's impossible not to.

Only working your glutes and nothing else, is potentially harmful, yes. Creating imbalances is harmful, I agree.
    I assume that most people here are insightful enough to do their own research to find what is best for them.

As mentioned, I work upper body twice a week with heavy weights. "You do you!" is a great motto when it comes to reaching personal goals.
  • serapel
    Options
    Wallstreet Journal - 2 days ago

The Benefits of Strong Glutes

Exercises to strengthen the glutes, the stabilizing muscles in your backside, can help develop power and protect the knees from injury

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-benefits-of-strong-glutes-1468865010