How much of your diet is from NATIVE foods?

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
...to where you live?

Locally grown does NOT necessarily mean native, so keep that in mind.

Personally, very little of mine. Even most of the fish I clean and eat are imported strains of native fish.

A few pecans and dewberries for me otherwise. Even most of the local pecans are varieties imported from the SE here.

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I live in Central Florida. "Native" is alligator, bluegill, maybe some bass, snakes, mosquitos, love bugs, dove, the occasional road kill armadillo...

I'd say 10%
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I live in a freakin desert. The only native food we got here is sand and oil...
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    We eat all the wild berries we can pick! My DH hunts so there is a little meat. I hunt for mushrooms and fiddle heads in the spring on hikes. FISH!!!!!! OMG the fish. Trout and Salmon. Crab and Shrimp. There are lots of native salad greens.

The PNW is a foragers playground.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Even the blackberries here are invasive (read: from somewhere else and have no local predators/competition). I'm gonna say 0%

ETA: Plus I buy so much of my food from Trader Joe's I'm pretty sure more of my food is from Austraila and Italy than is from my local area. *embarrassed*
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i have a skittles tree in my front yard, so 20%.

skittles are best when freshly picked.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I live in Central Florida. "Native" is alligator, bluegill, maybe some bass, snakes, mosquitos, love bugs, dove, the occasional road kill armadillo...

I'd say 10%

Me too, but I don't eat any of it. So 0%
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    A little but not much I don't think. I'm in New England USA.

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are: Turkey, corn and cranberries.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Almost none. I'm okay with that.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'd say 10%

Me too, but I don't eat any of it. So 0%

I eat some love bugs during the season when out running. It's pretty much unavoidable. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm pretty sure I'll be living off swamp cabbage and lost tourists.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Hardly anything. I live in Hawaii and the most popular things here are usually from Asia or South America. The North American food I love so much (corn, blueberries, squash) all kind of suck. I don't really like Taro and I don't eat too much fish (or meat in general) and the native pigs aren't really to my taste.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm English so most everything comes from one of our colonies.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm from Arizona -- the middle of the Sonoran desert. I drink tequila once in a while, but that's about all I can think of that could possibly be native.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    i have a skittles tree in my front yard, so 20%.

skittles are best when freshly picked.

Fancy that! I was given a JuicyFruit tree once....it was really an azalea bush in a pot with packs of JuicyFruit gum tied all over it.:laugh:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta and occasionally eat bison.

I wish I had a Skittle tree, but I think our harsh winters would kill it :frown:

ETA: I can't believe I forgot saskatoons. I love those.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    oranges, mango, avocado, cactus today (opuntia), berries... whatever grows in Florida.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    oranges, mango, avocado, cactus today (opuntia), berries... whatever grows in Florida.

My grandpa called green peppers 'mangoes'...so does the pizza place down the street. That's all the exotic we're going to get in Ohio :laugh:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that doesn't know what food is "native" to Texas?? lol BBQ? Tex-Mex? Idk... :laugh:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    We eat kangaroo sometimes, it's very lean and tasty. I also sometimes use bush tucker seasonings like mountain pepper and lemon myrtle. And then there's macadamias mmmmm.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo, occasionally. That's about it, I just looked at a list to be sure and there are bugger all native Australian foods I eat unless they are on a menu.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I heard you were only supposed to eat food more than 100 miles from your home. For allergies or something. So I aim for that.