Genetics, BMR and weight

Options
I have read several posts that say there is no such thing as a naturally thin person. Granted, I understand that if a person eats above TDEE, they will gain. But with that said, doesn't genetics play some role in how we expend energy? If there was a female with my same height, weight, and build as well as similar activity level, are the posters saying that if we ate the same amount of food, we would have similar outcomes regarding our weight? This is just confusing to me. I would think that genetics would also play some role in RMR and BMR in that even though we are similar in many ways, I could gain while eating the same amount as that person. This is just a hypothetical. But I am really trying to understand this concept. Please pardon my lack of understanding regarding this issue.

Can someone please share their thoughts about genetics? It seems that most threads tend to suggest that these people eat less than we think and move more than we think, which could be entirely true. However, where do genetics factor in? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are some genetics that could have someone have a higher BMR than someone else with similar stats, but probably not more than 100 or so, unless one had a hormone imbalance such as Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism, then the difference can be in the 100's of calories, though weight loss will still come down to cals in vs. cals out.