How many rest days?

Options
Since starting nearing 3 months ago, I worked my way to 6 exercise days a week and one rest and that is Saturday, by that day I was feeling pretty banged up.
Last week, thanks to a couple of rough days with one of my pups, I ended up with a no exercise day on Wednesday and felt wonderful the next day.
My routine is M, W, F Cardio. 1hr and around 600 calories
Tuesday and Thursday I do resistance training
Saturday rest
Sunday walk the neighborhood and some resistance.
How many rest days do you feel is adequate for you?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    res
    I very rarely take rest days because my body responds better without them.

Rest days are subjective to the individual and the level of activity they endure.

If you need rest days, your body will let you know. If it something you want to build into a regime, that isn't bad either if you want.

Just because I don't or somebody else does, doesn't mean you should follow our way. Listen to the signs your body gives you and you'll be fine.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Interesting...question made me realize technically, I don't take rest days. I perform glute activation exercises every day. Mon - Friday I do strength training, run training, and run. On weekends, just for fun, I usually hike or cycle. Some times kayak.

As an adult, I've never been a television watcher (don't even own a TV). I didn't own a car until I was 25 because I walked, ran, or cycled every where. I guess activity is just an integral part of me, so even on my weekend "rest" days, I'm still outside doing things.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Two or three days a month perhaps? Often not through choice - life just gets in the way.

Currently cycling well over 100 miles a week and strength training 3 sessions a week.
    I've always been able to tolerate (and enjoy) a high volume of exercise.

You do have to be aware of growing fatigue or performance plateaux though and either deload or rest at times. Not all workouts should be extreme.....