Favorite running shoes?

Options
I recently went to a shoe store and found out I overpronate. I also found out that I have high arches and heel strike, but I'm not sure if either of those matter.

What is your favorite running shoe? I'm looking into different brands to see what may work best for me.

Replies

• montufaraj
    montufaraj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Newton gravity for me. A little on the expensive side, but I worth every penny in my opinion. I'm a supination. It makes a big difference what type of foot/ running stance you have. I found out the hard way buying wrong type of shoe.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Did they recommend a shoe? I'd go with what they suggest. Pronation, arches, etc matter when deciding what shoe to buy. Most stores offer a 30 day return policy. Try it out and if it doesn't work return them and try something else.
    What works for one person won't work for the next. Everybody's feet are different.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There is no 'best' shoe. Once you know the type of shoe you need, try on all the ones that the store has to offer and choose the one you like best.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Let the pros pick one for you!

My first pair of running shoes were New Balance... ugly as sin but heaven on my feet.

I'm on my 2nd pair of Saucony now, and also have a pair of Asics. (Both prettier than those first New Balance!). I also use orthotic insoles.

I have wide square feet & high arches, & tend to put my weight toward the inside.

Anyway, we're all different - let them lead you ☺
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I love Sauconys they have great support. But like others have said they should have given you recommendations after they have evaluated you.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    The right shoe for me is the Brooks Dyad - wide, cushioned and works well with my various foot injuries.
    As others have said though, the only way to know what works for you is to get some good advice and then try them out.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    There is no 'best' shoe. Once you know the type of shoe you need, try on all the ones that the store has to offer and choose the one you like best.

this ^

that being said, Brooks and Saucony are my go to brands.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have really like the Brooks Ravenna (sp!). I'm on my third pair. But I was fitted at a running shoe store (Fleet Feet).
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The information they gave you will help in selecting a shoe. Here's what that info means...

Pronation: what it is and shoe design
    * Neutral: foot rolls inward slightly from the outer edge of the heel to the big toe.

* Over-pronation: foot rolls excessively inward from the heel to midfoot

* Moderate pronation: foot rolls slightly inward from heel to mid-foot.

Shoe categories:

1. Minimal: No cushioning; no support; low profile; average 4-8mm heel to toe drop (meaning difference in heel height to forefoot). For comparison, an average running shoe has a 10 -12mm heel to toe drop. This shoe style was very popular during "barefoot" running craze.
    2. Lightweight: flexible; responsive shoes with very minimal cushioning and support. Higher heel to toe drop than minimal. Think racing shoe in this category.
    3. Neutral: moderate cushioning; moderate support; 10 -12mm heel to toe drop; straight last; foam medial (arch) support; stiff, but cushioned; sole does not protrude much beyond the upper part of shoe.
    4. Stability: support to counter probation; stiff heel; medial post, usually dense foam; 10 -12mm heel to toe drop; sole flares just beyond the upper to counter pronation.
    5. Motion control: maximum support to counter over-pronation; very stiff heel; stiffest medial post or torsion bar; straight last; 10 -12mm heel to toe drop; sole flares beyond upper to counter pronation.

High Arch: high arches require support. If you have high arches and run unsupported, you will develop knee pain and plantar fasciitis. Low heel to toe drop shoes have little to no medial (arch) support. By contrast, 10-12 mm heel to toe drop shoes provide good medial (arch) support. However, the higher the heel to toe drop, the more it promotes heel strike.

Heel strike: there is no consensus on foot strike--it's one of the most controversial subjects on running. That said, I think the take away on the issue of heel strike is it's often an indication of over-striding. And since novice runners often over-stride, you need to be aware that a shoe with a 10-12mm drop will promote more heel strike. So you may want to consider an 8mm heel to toe drop shoe.

Everyone's feet are different. The best shoe is the shoe that best fits you. In truth, all the major brands make excellent shoes. But you still have to find the shoe that best fits you.

Try shoes in the different categories and decided which category best fits you. Then try different brands in that category. Finding the best shoe is a task. I recently bought a Mizuno that felt perfect in the store. But after a few runs, I found it was too stiff. Around that time I purchased a New Balance that turned out to be so perfect for me, I bought a second pair.

Im a moderate pronation and currently run in a New Balance 1500V2. It's a stability shoe, some cushioning, but exceptionally lightweight and flexible. For me, it's the perfect shoe.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    That post above is money. But what the running store recommended, I think brand means nothing, different shoes fit people different.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Saucony.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I recently went to a shoe store and found out I overpronate. I also found out that I have high arches and heel strike, but I'm not sure if either of those matter.

What is your favorite running shoe? I'm looking into different brands to see what may work best for me.

YOUR favourite shoe is the one you "test drive" around the block and feels best. A specialty running store should allow for this. I pronate and I DON'T heel-strike, so my best shoe won't be yours.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My husband got me some Brooks Ravens 5's last year. They were my most favorite running shoe. So comfortable, and the shock absorbers don't go out quickly. It's time for a new pair, though. I also have a problem with overpronation.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am soooo pissed. I bought a pair of Sauconys last Friday. Today was the third time I've worn them and the treads are falling off!!! WTF!!! I paid $171 for them. Usually I have had great shoes with Saucony but now I got to take them back and hope they have the same or different shoe in size 11.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but my son is...I always take him to New Balance and so far they have been amazingly great about helping him select styles of shoes which are good for him and his super high arches plus meet all of his track needs...
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Brooks have been recommended to me for years, so I finally got a pair in April. I picked up their GTS 15's, and they are amazing! My feel don't feel like I've run in them at all, and they're very well-ventilated, too.
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The running store I went to gave me a bunch of options that would work with my inserts they made. I ended up getting Mizunos and love them.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm no expert but I really like my Nike FS Lite Run 3s. I have arch issues and I never have pain in these shoes
    Come to think of it...I think I heel strike too...years of marching band messed up my gait.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of saucony and brooks but that's what the store recommended for my needs
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into different brands to see what may work best for me.

So brand isn't really all that meaningful since most of the brands make a range of different shoes for different running characteristics. Frequently they'll operate in two or three different price ranges as well, which makes a difference to resilience and durability.

Do your research on specific models for your needs, rather than brands.

You can train yourself not to heel strike.

fwiw I'm an overpronator and while I have used motion control shoes for a while I'm now using a neutral, low drop shoe.