calories in Kale Salad with Poppy seed dressing

Options
Can anyone explain why there are so many calories in this Kale salad? I know poppy seed dressing has calories, but not that much for eating 1 cup of salad. :(

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What does the package say?
  • Maggiemay10_000
    Maggiemay10_000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It says 150 calories for 1 cup
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain why there are so many calories in this Kale salad? I know poppy seed dressing has calories, but not that much for eating 1 cup of salad. :(

Is this the salad from costco?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    80-100 calories for a tablespoon of dressing is totally normal.
    I also expect there is more than just kale and dressing.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love that Kale salad. There is more than just kale and dressing though. I got one the other day that had dried cranberries and sunflower seeds in it. This have calories too. I may look at things different but I see 150 for 1 cup to be pretty good.
  • Maggiemay10_000
    Maggiemay10_000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought it at safeway but it's similar to Coscto, poppy seed dressing, cranberries and pumpkin seeds I think. Ok, it just seemed high but I guess I'll take it. lol It's delicious
  • cerise_noir
    edited July 2016
    Options
    50g of the salad without the sunflower seeds, cranberries and dressing is 30 calories.
    The dressing ~1TBS) can easily be around 80, maybe more. Plus the seeds (1tbs sunflower seeds, 1tbs cranberries) can be around 50ish. So, not too far off.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i get the giant bag of that stuff from costco and eat a quarter of the bag at a time. 315 calories -- for a filling, fiber-full, protein-full meal.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    I bought it at safeway but it's similar to Coscto, poppy seed dressing, cranberries and pumpkin seeds I think. Ok, it just seemed high but I guess I'll take it. lol It's delicious

It IS! That salad is definitely one of my favourites. Costco used to a have a sweet potato and kale salad, too...haven't seen that in a couple of years. :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I love that salad too. I have started using 50% of the Bolthouse Farms cilantro and avocado yogurt dressing with it (15ml= 20cal.) instead of 100% the poppy seed dressing.
    (It does well as a stir fry too)

Cheers, h.