blanket supportive comments, as if they hadnt bothered to read the
initial comment.
My peeve is not about obtuse, irrelevant comments, its about the lack
of ANY comments!! I have gone through and deleted a number of
"friends" who rarely, if ever, send a supportive comment my way...but
this is getting ridiculous. I make a point of trying to not only comment
on my friends diaries, etc, but to READ them and reply with something
relevant and/ or witty. But, hey, I understand time constraints..that's
why a simple "WTG" would be just fine by me.
I also realize we arent here for the ATTA GIRL" and feel-good feedback
entirely, that we are in this for our own well being and fitness. BUT,
that aside, what are SUPPORT FRIENDS for???
Thank you in advance for letting me vent.

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate that crap. All my friends have added ME, so its more than a little annoying when they don't actually say anything to me.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I like giving more than receiving. I don't need someone to hold my hand or praise my efforts. I'm here to save my life not impress anyone.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You have 12 friends. I have 179 friends (I think), even though I'm all weird and introverted and don't send out many friend invites. I do accept any/all legitimate invites, though.

It's easy to read and comment on the activity of 12 people. It becomes a little time consuming when your number gets above 25 or so.

I try to be supportive and offer insight about my own successes and failures, but I don't have time to inspect everyone's diary or comment on every 10 minute walk. Generally, the more people interact directly with me, the more I interact directly with them.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Im one of those that dont really send constant "wtg" or *kitten* like that.

Im a lurker and post when I want. Its too much damn energy to go thru 100+ friends and send a clap each time they do something fabulous.

I smile behind the computer screen...thats all that matters. Take it or leave it
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree. I am here for the community, and I accept friend requests with the agreement that I will be doing my best to be there for you with the idea that you'll be doing the same for me. The people I have let go the quickest are those who post constantly about their lives or their day yet never comment on my posts. Seems a little uneven! Feel free to friend me and replace one of your silent "friends"! :)
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Its very annoying. I think out of 100+ friends less than 30 even communicate with me (Most added me by the way) but I make a point to try to comment on all of my friends victories.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My idea is to not have more than 20 friends. That is mostly because I want to really support them, which means reading their diary and their news feed. I know I cannot handle any more and therefore neither would accept nor make more friends.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to say. :tongue: Except you need more than 12 friends if you are looking for support. On a good post I might get 10 supportive comments from over 100 friends so that's like 1 in 10 commenting. Get more friends hun and you will find the support you are looking for. And don't expect everyone to read everything you say, just accept the support in the spirit it is offered. :wink:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I like all the "wtg's". o_o Maybe I just have low expectations, but they make me feel happy that someone took the time to even say that. I mean, it's the internet. Sometimes it's hard just to get that.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    [img][/img]
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you a bit on this. That is why i try to keep my friends list manageable.....i am not a friend collector as some are....Why do you need 100 + friends?? I like to be able to read their statuses and comment or support them. That i why i wont accept with out a message or if i cant see their profile when they want to add me , i wont accept. Take the time to get to know WHY i am here...what got me here etc....

I dont expect or need any wtgs etc....but if i never hear a word from you ever....what is the purpose??
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    [img][/img]
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    WTG
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    ATTA GIRL
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have 25 friends and maybe 5 of them support me. I support them as well !
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you a bit on this. That is why i try to keep my friends list manageable.....i am not a friend collector as some are....Why do you need 100 + friends?? I like to be able to read their statuses and comment or support them. That i why i wont accept with out a message or if i cant see their profile when they want to add me , i wont accept. Take the time to get to know WHY i am here...what got me here etc....

I dont expect or need any wtgs etc....but if i never hear a word from you ever....what is the purpose??

I don't "need" 100+ friends, but I also feel that if others want to learn from my experience or believe that I would be a good friend and take the time to send me an invite, I'm not going to reject them. There's no such thing as having too many friends in real life or online. I also don't "need" people to scrutinize my diary and post "wtg" every single day for doing what I've been doing for more than 2 years. That's not necessarily the definition of online friendship or support to me.

I would rather people share insights, experiences, struggles and advice than to just go down their list posting "good job." I don't need that much attention, but I appreciate being part of a community that focuses on the struggles and successes that come with improving health and fitness.
  • chatondoux
    chatondoux Posts: 38
    Options
    I would have added you so you would have had another person supporting you and commenting on your posts but since I am not "over 50" apparently I am not allowed. Pffft. You put yourself in a small box and only let a few people in then don't complain about what you get out of it. You're being too selective :P
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    WTG

^^ this.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have 28 friends right now. Usually I keep the number between 20 and 25. I go through the list once a week and remove people with whom I did not make connection. Sometimes there is just no match. For example, last week I added a person who is VERY active on MFP, comments all day long, however, all her comments have very sexual connotation, and that was just too much for me, so I had to remove this person, because we had nothing in common. I made some very good friends here who are very dear to me. I value their opinion and I am happy that they accepted my invitation. Perhaps you could also go through the list of your friends and do some cleaning, and then invite others? Sadly I do not qualify. I still have 9 years to go until I can be on this roller-coaster. :)