dangerous and fast weight gain

Options
I have a problem maintaining my weight. on my off days when I can't seem to get around a workout I tend to overeat (mainly because i'm too tired from work) because of this I gain weight. a lot of weight. my question is how many kg/lbs is considered dangerous and fast in a span of a month?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    At what rate are you gaining weight?
  • trixchialoveskimchi6
    trixchialoveskimchi6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I kinda don't want to divulge any info... because it's embarrassing... i just want to know what amount of weight per month is too fast and dangerous.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This is probably a question for your doctor.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on several factors. I've gained 10 lbs in a weekend (a really good weekend), but a lot of that was water weight and food moving through my belly (put it in faster than it came out). That amount of weight is not great on a 5'8" person, but do that on a 5' even person, it is probably worse. Then, Aunt Flo always wreaks havoc on the scale.

Try not to worry about the scale and think about ways you can keep from bingeing and ruining all your hard work.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are asking the right question... rather than focussing on how much would be dangerous, I suggest you look at it a different way.

First, if you have any concerns about your health or whether your increased weight is dangerous, that is absolutely a question for your doctor, no one on the internet can or should try to answer that.
    And bear in mind that missing a single workout or overeating on a single day isn't going to suddenly make your weight go through the roof. The scale will always go up and down depending on what you've eaten, whether you have any injuries, monthly hormonal cycle, whether you've been to the bathroom etc.

Second, why not think about some strategies to help with eating badly when you work.
    - Can you plan meals? Cook, prepare or buy food on the weekend so you have a healthy meal ready to go when you are tired.
    - What about looking at some short workouts that you could do at home. I've found darebee.com thanks to a challenge on this site and they have some great stuff that doesn't take long, doesn't need equipment and might be more do-able after a long day. Or look on youtube for yoga or stretching workouts, or dancing or anything else that you enjoy and will help you feel good without having to beat yourself up for missing a regular workout.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't think it's inherently dangerous to gain weight quickly, unless your weight gain indicates a serious health condition, like a giant tumor or severe edema. If the weight gain is explained by overeating, then you know what to do. It's extremely easy to put weight back on, especially soon after a loss.

If you're not certain why you're gaining, you should see your doctor.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I kinda don't want to divulge any info... because it's embarrassing... i just want to know what amount of weight per month is too fast and dangerous.

If it's bad enough that you feel this way, talk to your doctor like others have said. I imagine it would be all but impossible for anyone here to answer your questions without knowing everything about you and your history.

If it's not really that bad and you might be overreacting, then @pebble4321 gave some good advice.