force yourself to eat if not hungry to meet caloric goal?

Options
I'm new to MFP. Trying to stay on track with calories. I have a lot of weight to lose and don't want to lose lean body mass. Over the years, I have totally lost track of cues about food (eating when not hungry out of boredom or stress, over-eating repeatedly, and frank binging). I've gone from carb heavy diet to one that has much more lean protein. I find that I am actually full longer and sometimes at end of the day, I have met my protein goals, but am under the calculated goal given to me by MFP.

Do you all make yourself hit your caloric goal even if you aren't hungry? My initial calories are 1200 (with plans to eat back exercise calories). So for example, today is long work day with no workout, so my goal was 1200. I felt full at dinner and so stopped (trying to listen to those cues), but I'm not sure if I should try to squeeze another high protein snack in. I hit my protein goals (110), but am only at about 1,000 calories. I feel full with no cravings, which is honestly a new sensation for me. I don't want to force myself to eat more, but also don't want to stall weight loss/burn through muscle.

Thoughts?

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is a very small amount of energy to get you through the day and keep you healthy.
    In the future I think you should plan ahead to ensure that you do meet your goal of 1200 cals plus extra if you workout.

For today, I suggest a small, calorie dense snack that won't make you feel overfull but will get you a few more cals - peanut butter with crackers or apple, boiled egg, some leftovers from dinner, yoghurt with fruit, handful of muesli, a few nuts etc.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them all. You can just add more calories for tomorrow and treat yourself! I sometimes find it hard to get all 1200 in me in one day. I do sometimes get a strong craving for high calorie food and use those calories for that later in the week
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Not feeling hunger when first cutting calories is not uncommon.

You have to consider things like how accurate you are logging - plenty of people are understating how much they eat.

The other thing to consider is that hunger is not an accurate gauge of how much you need to eat. People who are literally starving often report no hunger. People who are obese often report constant hunger. Hormones affect hunger. Things like fat intake affect hunger.

Like others have said, one day isn't a big deal. If you are constantly under calories I would take a closer look at intake. If you are truly that low, I'd try to up calories.
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1480 calories per day and I find it very difficult to reach that. I'm meeting my protein but I can't seem to get all the calories. Also I'm not eating the extra calories earned from exercise. I'm hoping this isn't a bad thing?!? But I'm in the same boat as you... I'm new to MFP with Lots of weight to lose and I don't want to hinder my weight loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm doing 1480 calories per day and I find it very difficult to reach that. I'm meeting my protein but I can't seem to get all the calories. Also I'm not eating the extra calories earned from exercise. I'm hoping this isn't a bad thing?!? But I'm in the same boat as you... I'm new to MFP with Lots of weight to lose and I don't want to hinder my weight loss.

@TheresaOrtiz3

Like mentioned above - first, make sure you logging is accurate. Correct entries, weighing, etc.

Second - the other problem people have in reaching calorie goal is they get into "diet' mode. They eat only low calorie food which doesn't necessarily mean "healthy". They choose low fat versions of food which you can easily swap out for higher calorie version without adding more bulk. Low fat dairy is one culprit. Or fat free snacks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Low fat dairy is one culprit. Or fat free snacks.
    But I like both of those!
    Yum 0% Greek Yogurt with refrigerated sugar free jello pudding and all bran buds mixed with some yummy fruit.... easily a 500 Cal snack (or more) in sufficient quantities :smiley:

Jokes aside: if you're counting accurately and this is happening day in and day out... eat a bit more. The winner is s/he who loses as desired while eating the most :wink:
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Yum 0% Greek Yogurt with refrigerated jello pudding and all bran buds mixed in with perhaps some fruit.... easily a 500 Cal snack in sufficient quantities :smiley:

I'm not saying you can't like them or enjoy them, but if you are having a hard time hitting calorie goals and are intentionally buying them because of their calorie content, you might benefit by switching them out for the regular version.

Have you ever had full fat yogurt? It is pure bliss, even the plain version. Bliss.

If OP was really enjoying 0% yogurt with bran buds and fruit for a calorie total of 500 calories I doubt they would be posting this.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about my portion measuring if 1000 was satisfying...it's not a lot of food even for a sedentary day.

If you are certain that your measuring is solid though, I'd save it for tomorrow when you may need the extra. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yum 0% Greek Yogurt with refrigerated jello pudding and all bran buds mixed in with perhaps some fruit.... easily a 500 Cal snack in sufficient quantities :smiley:

I'm not saying you can't like them or enjoy them, but if you are having a hard time hitting calorie goals and are intentionally buying them because of their calorie content, you might benefit by switching them out for the regular version.

Have you ever had full fat yogurt? It is pure bliss, even the plain version. Bliss.

If OP was really enjoying 0% yogurt with bran buds and fruit for a calorie total of 500 calories I doubt they would be posting this.

And the "have you ever" isn't sarcastic. I ate yogurt for YEARS, always buying the low fat version until I actually tried the fuller fat version for this very reason.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

And the "have you ever" isn't sarcastic. I ate yogurt for YEARS, always buying the low fat version until I actually tried the fuller fat version for this very reason.

Playing with a 2.8% fromage frais thingy that to me tastes very close to yogurt. 0% oikos greek beats pants down most full fat versions I've tried. Pudding thickens concoction even more and increases yum factor.

And granted... if OP was eating 500 Cal snacks... they would have a hard time not hitting 1000.

So either there is appetite suppression during famine taking place or under-estimation. Hence the recommendation to really really really measure twice or three times their intake and if it really is that low to increase asap please and thank you.
  • Divadoctor
    Divadoctor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    so i actually do love my 0% greek yogurt. although i can honestly say, i've only ever had the 0% fat kind... i don't know what i would do with full fat--it must be amazing! this has been really helpful. i actually didn't think about saving the calories as something to bank for the following day. i had been wanting to avoid cheat days, but i guess a bigger calorie allowance for the next day is never a bad idea.

i bought a kitchen scale and have been weighing portions, so i feel pretty confident in my numbers. the biggest switch for me is that i went from probably 50 g of protein and heavy carb diet (pasta, bread, etc) to double the amount of protein. it is more satisfying for sure. i have a huge psychological block about full fat dairy--i don't think i've ever purchased full fat. even if it fits with the numbers, there is something that tells me i shouldn't do it until i am at maintenance.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options

Do start eating back at least 50% of your exercise calories.
    The way MFP works is called NEAT. It expects you to log and eat back your exercise calories, your deficit is in your base calories.

Not eating them can lead to burn out, or a decrease in everyday activity. If your everyday activity slows your BMR will eventually drop and you won't need as many calories to lose weight.

Another good reason to eat them back- what happens if you have to stop your exercise for some reason?
    You will have to drop your calories to an unsustainable level to make up for the lack of exercise, or your weight loss will slow or stop.

Eating back those calories right now when you have a lot to lose won't make too much of a difference, you have enough fat to compensate. If you look at this in the long term, when you don't have as much fat to burn, you will need those exercise calories to carry you through.

Cheers, h.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Playing with a 2.8% fromage frais thingy that to me tastes very close to yogurt. 0% oikos greek beats pants down most full fat versions I've tried. Pudding thickens concoction even more and

Mmmmmmmmm ... Oikos Banana Cream! My dessert. I eat some every day! The raspberry and strawberry are good, too, but NOTHING beats Banana Cream! :blush:
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of difficulty distinguishing between hunger and appetite at first (hunger=body needs food, appetite=I want to eat). I also had to learn what satiety (feeling full and satisfied) meant, and learn what foods worked for that and which made me want to eat more (like, bread will just make me want to eat more, whereas avocados or eggs are extremely satisfying). There's a learning curve, IMO, and if you just keep at it I think you'll hit your "golden mean" sort of thing. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat to my goal when I started either. Turns out it didn't last AND I was underestimating my portions anyway.
  • tammmers83
    tammmers83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Change the focus... Try to teach your protein goal for the day. Make sure u are well under on sugar. See if this makes a difference in how you're losing.
  • jollyjeepers
    jollyjeepers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble eating enough. I have never been a big eater. I am working away from home right now and have been since November. I don't have the added calories of someone cooking for me at home or fast food which is a good thing. But most people when they see me eat say they don't know why I am so big and eat so little. I'm just rarely hungry. I have been eating a lot more vegetables lately and trying to drink more protein when I do exercise.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Me too on the 'trouble eating enough' train. (And yes, I've got a food scale and measuring cups, and I use them both. Do the same if you're not already.) I've only been back on MFP for a month and I'm not hitting cals most days - mainly because I'm incredibly stressed out, and when that happens I either eat too much or not at all. Sorry I can't give good advice, but at least you know you're not the only one.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would not eat just to fulfill a calorie goal. But I am very good at listening to my body's hunger signals so I don't strive to eat the same number of calories each day. Some days I'm just naturally hungrier than others.