Military Diet

Options
Those of you that have tried it. How did you do on it? I saw it while browsing pinterest and it caught my eye.

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JC, really all that the military diet does is ask you to eat VERY low calories each day. That one tops out between 500 and 750 calories.

That type of eating may cause some immediate weight loss but it will come back. If you want consistent loss (and to not be miserably hungry), you should consider just eating at MFP calorie recommendations
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's dumb, don't do this! Pick a reasonable weight loss goal, eat this amount everyday and you will have success!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's not really that great, honestly. Horrible food choices, far too low calorie, and a waste of time since all you lose is water weight. Just stick to my fitness pal calories and aim to lose actual fat. Do something that you can stick to. It's is a fad diet.

And, the diet isn't even endorsed by the military and has many other names such as the hotdog diet, and sacred heart diet.

If ya want to be hangry and tired all the time, then this diet is great. :tongue: Experience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    could you really eat hot dogs,eggs and a few other things day in and day out? I dont think it would even top out at 750 calories. to me that would be just as bad as starving yourself(dont recommend either). not to mention you would probably risk vitamin deficiencies and malnourishment if you did it for a long period of time
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Forget it. For any diet to "work", you will have to follow it for a long time. Can you do this "diet" for a long time? The answer is "no". Don't bother.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are a few simple questions worth applying to any "The (insert name) Diet" ...
    Does it provide the minimum number of calories needed for safe weight loss? If no, avoid it.
    Does it provide minimal required macro nutrients? If no, avoid it.
    Does it make unrealistic claims? If yes, avoid it.
    Does it make unsubstantiated claims of associations with organizations to gain a false sense of legitimacy? If yes, avoid it.

The "military" diet meets every criteria to avoid based on those simple questions.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely sure this diet was started as a joke. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the military, it contains a whacky selection of arbitrary foods with nothing to recommend them other than novelty factor and if it works, it is because you eat sweet fanny adams for 3 days.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Came in here expecting to see the old "cabbage soup cut for army qualification" diet. That was hilarious, but it works just long enough to get you in. After that, basic training will fix the fat problem the rest of the way.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's also against mfp.rules to discuss vlcd because of the dangers associated with them
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did it in my young-and-stupid days; I think I lost 3 pounds. I also did the Sacred Heart, and the Chocolate Diet. Lost a few pounds and several IQ points each time, gained a slower metabolism and a lot of hilarious stories about friends who were on the same type of diet at the same time.
  • krazydaze8
    krazydaze8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I first heard about this diet from a younger cousin. As a former military member... there is no such thing as the Military Diet. The vast majority of the military people I know, myself and my husband included, would never even consider such a wacky, low calorie mix of foods to be enough to sustain you, much less if you're deployed or doing any kind of physical activity. I cannot recommend against trying this enough.
  • valerianegomes
    valerianegomes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too was in the military and can attest to the previous comment. It's definitely not a military diet. They would never recommend the meal plan from that diet.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    this is not a military diet, I have been there, we get 2000 calories a day minimum.....life is at risk so they would not give you a *kitten* diet.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Forget you ever even heard of it, it's a crash diet that has nothing to do with the military and does nothing for you in the long run.

There are no shortcuts and no magic bullets, stick to the basics - a modest caloric deficit based on a nutritious , balanced diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out what military this came from.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If they feed their army anything like their citizens eat, maybe North Korea?
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You should check out the CICO lifestyle change.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If they feed their army anything like their citizens eat, maybe North Korea?

They feed their army exactly like their citizens eat, as or happens.