Weight loss competition- would you do it?

Options
Okay, so my area is offering a free weight loss competition that will last 12 weeks. I'm not really all that far from my goal- about 18 lbs, give or take but lately it's been a struggle thanks to numerous other stressors. Since I'm so close to my goal, the weight will (and should) come off slowly unlike some people who might enter who will have more to lose and may lose it more quickly- so if I signed up, my chances of winning a prize are pretty small. Prizes aren't yet named but the sponsors are Texas Roadhouse and a running store and neither one is exactly calling my name ;)

My question is, if you were in my place, would you do the competition and take advantage of the extra accountability? Or would you just keep plugging away with things as they are (using MFP, training for another half, etc) and avoid the stress of driving across the city to weigh in, track, and probably not 'win' anyway?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Personally, no. I wouldn't enter just because of the reasons you said. You are near to goal and it is going to be slow.
    No matter how they calculate the winner the chances are pretty low for a win unless calories are dropped to a minuscule amount, not good.

Cheers, h.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I only compete when I know I can win, so no. Accountability is not much of a problem for me these days, as I sort of had an epiphany and I'm extremely motivated. I think you should do what feels right for you, and it sounds like the contest is just a lot of work with not much return. YMMV.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I am old enough to have seen lots of contests like these over the years. The winners (fast losers?) ALWAYS gain back the weight, and then some.

Plus, like the poster above, I like to WIN. I would not win such a contest due to medical challenges. There is nothing wrong with slow and steady.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I don't think that they are positive for most participants.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. Not for love or money.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Unless you actually know some of the people who will be involved and are confident that you will be connecting with a supporting group that might help you stay on track with the goals you've chosen.
    If you are already stressed, it's hard to see how this will make things better.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would enter the competition for the extra motivation and accountability.
    Yes, you possibly would not win, but I feel like if it keeps you motivated and consistent then that is as good as winning besides you could motivate other people who have joined too!
    Just my two cents :)
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't know anyone in it (that I'm aware of anyway).

And yeah, I agree with the slow and steady and it not being worth it. I guess I was just worried that I'd be passing up a chance for extra motivation- but I really think it would just be more stressful than anything else in the long run. Plus, I just saw that it is starting on Aug 26, not Aug 1st like I thought so it wouldn't be over until after my half and I don't want to be worrying about that kind of thing when I'm training.

Thanks everyone- I think I just needed to hear it from some others too haha.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Even if you choose not to enter the competition, you can still benefit because if the people around you are doing it, you could still be a support/motivation base for each other, no?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    We're having a "sugar detox" challenge at work. The prizes are things I'm interested in, gift cards to REI and a running shoe store. But our rules say you can't eat stevia, and the protein powder I like uses stevia. Also when I do long bike rides, I eat a bag of M&Ms because they provide quick energy and the bag fits pretty well in my pocket. So I could do shorter rides (less exercise) and not meet my protein needs, to compete, or I could skip the contest. I decided not to participate.

Since you're so close to your goal weight, like you said, it should be coming off slowly. It wouldn't be healthy to stop eating to get it off quickly, but that's what you'd have to do to compete with people who are just starting. If the contest was reaching your goal weight and keeping it off for six months you'd be the one to beat. But it sounds like the contest would be bad for you.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If it will help motivate you to keep at it for the next 12 weeks, you should enter.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would not. 1) because I wouldn't get on a scale in a setting where my weight could potentially be posted on social media and 2) because, at this stage, you don't want/need to go fast. Set your sights on preparing for maintenance.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't; you've given various reasons as to why entering wouldn't be in your favor. Honestly, all it takes is one obese person to enter and they can already beat your weight loss amount within their first month or less due to water weight. The pressure to potentially win could also cause you stress instead of motivating you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    We did a few cycles of Biggest Loser at Work and I found the extra accountability helpful. I wasn't attached to winning, so didn't create any unhealthy habits like I might have done if winning was my goal rather just losing weight.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I paid 20 bucks to participate in one at work.. and the winner gets almost $500. The winner from last year lost 13.5lbs.. and I have lost 22lbs with another 6 weeks to go!
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If its not super expensive, I would do it for the motivation.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly competitive...so I definitely would. Sometimes a little fire under your *kitten* to cross the finish line doesn't hurt: but you have to know you. Competition for some people causes them to give up entirely....
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I've done thsee at work before and won in the early stages of my journey. Now, 40lbs from goal, I'm not sure. Having to drive across town would be very inconvenient for me and not motivational. I also like diet bets, but 4% a month might be too aggressive since you are so close. Point being I find them helpful, but it has to be convenient and with a worthy prize. Good luck!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If the contest was reaching your goal weight and keeping it off for six months you'd be the one to beat.
    I'd actually like to see more of those kind of contests- it seems like it would be healthier in the long run but maybe less glamorous.

I think you're right- overall, I don't think it would be motivating for me and the other reasons would just frustrate me after a bit.

I do like the idea of the competition being a motivator so I might just sign up for one of the challenges I've seen done on here to see if it's the same effect.

Thanks everyone :)

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If the contest was reaching your goal weight and keeping it off for six months you'd be the one to beat.
    I'd actually like to see more of those kind of contests- it seems like it would be healthier in the long run but maybe less glamorous.

I think you're right- overall, I don't think it would be motivating for me and the other reasons would just frustrate me after a bit.

I do like the idea of the competition being a motivator so I might just sign up for one of the challenges I've seen done on here to see if it's the same effect.

Thanks everyone :)

Did I see you're planning a half marathon? That would be achievement enough!

If you are, join us in the Monthly Running Challenge thread/s!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10417366/july-2016-running-challenge/p1