Have you had weightloss surgery?

Options
Wondering if anyone here has undergone surgery for weightloss. I would like to hear about surgery and recovery times, post surgery eating and nutrition, etc.

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have not. My friend did. It was very effective for her in terms of losing weight and she looks great, but she still has a lot of issues with what she can eat or drink. She feels like it was the right decision, because her weight was so high, but she does sometimes wish there had been another way.
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you. What sort of issues with food and drink? How long has it been?
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    She had the surgery almost 10 years ago, I think. She hasn't shared much detail with me about what she can eat and drink but I do know she has to get vitamin and iron shots because they are not absorbed through her gut, and she can't drink much alcohol - I think 1-2 beers and a shot is her limit. Basically she just can't eat much at one time, or it will come right back up, and she can't eat processed foods hardly at all. As I said, in general she feels it was the right decision, because she was very very large with two young sons she wanted to see grow to manhood (which she has, yay!) and a lot of back and leg pain. She has kept the weight off well, and I think on balance it's a good thing, but not for everyone.
  • keriann1
    keriann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am waiting to have the Sleeve, hopefully in Spring next year.
  • lisambarbosa
    lisambarbosa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve done April 18, 2016. I'm currently down 60lbs. Even though it's saved my life, it's hard work and a big adjustment. I've always been an emotional eater and now I have to learn how to mange anger,sadness, ect.. without turning to food. Having surgery is a tool. You really have to change your life around. My highest weight was 312lbs, on my surgery date I was 297lbs and currently (as on Monday 7/18-3 months post op) I'm at 252lbs.