Baffled

Options
Hello All.
I am 5'7" and lost 29 kg toget to my goal in about a year. Then I lost a bit more learning to maintain but was happy where I landed. Now, with no change to the process, I seem to be gaining again; in the last week and a half I have gained 2kg. I am eating more, but am also exercising more, so I stay within bounds. I log and weigh using a digital scale. When in doubt, I choose higher entries.I think my diary is open. I am female and 52. I have consulted the flow chart. My current plan is to stop eating back any exercise calories, but I know I will feel cheated, as the system has worked up till now. Any miracle solutions for me ? Thanks.

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done on your weight loss! It seems to me that you are on top of your calories in part of the equation with regards to weighing and logging, so I suspect it's the calories out part that's leading you to weight gain. I've often seen it said that only a portion of the exercise calories should be eaten, are you eating all of them? I'd tweak that part if I were you, and see how it goes. Having said that, a week and a half isn't long enough to see a trend, so you could ride it out for a bit longer and see if that's just a natural fluctuation before making any changes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight from increased exercise. But exercise calories can also be off. Monitor your weight closely and keep tracking intake. Check entries with package, producer or USDA; every entry can be off.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Also have you recalculated your current calorie needs based on your lower present weight along with activity level?
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes, DebSozo, done that. Thanks.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Everyday activity can have a lot more impact than planned exercise. Try to be more active even though school's out ;)
  • Carnhot
    Options
    MFP gives me 1630 at my weight, height and activity setting.It's not much :/ Better get to the gym...
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Are you sure? I'm 5'3", 45, quite sedentary, and maintain at around 1750-1800 without a gym. Genuine weight changes are slow and you need lots of data points over a long period to see the real trend.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Thinking about it - got to think about something whilst on the elliptical, in the absence of lessons to plan - this weight can't ALL be fat; I haven't been eating like that! So whilst I have altered my activity setting and will tighten up on everything, I'm not going to worry - yet! I am still below my original target weight and just bought a pair of UK size 10 shorts in the Next sale; the unbiased random ladies in the changing area gave my legs the OK :)

kommodevaran, it seems very low to me, too. Experimentation and time will tell.

Thanks.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Whew! Back in the acceptable zone. What a relief