Logging oils in cooking

Options
wifeoferp
wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
Hi everyone- my favorite way to eat broccoli and cauliflower is to coat them in s little bit of olive oil, sprinkle on salt and garlic powder, and then roast them in the oven.
Not all the olive oil ends up on the vegetables though, and I am wondering what the best way is to log the oil in my recipe. Should I just take a hit on the calories? EVOO is so high in calories that I hate to have to do that, but I am not sure how to figure out what is on the veggies and what is on the pan. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tare the pan weight, then add the oil and weigh, cook veggies and remove from the pan- Then weigh once again. The difference in weight is what stayed on the vegetables
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I don't log most sauces or oil. If I find I'm not losing weight I readjust my calorie logging. If you are still losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I log 1/3 of what was used.

ETA: mainly because there are usually 3 people eating the food....if it was just me I would log it all...better safe than sorry.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't usually worry about it. If I use 10 grams of oil or butter I log 10 grams. I'd rather overestimate than underestimate (especially now I'm struggling with the last 10lbs)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I log it all. Keeps life simple.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I log it all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I log all the oil that I use when roasting vegetables. If I was using so much oil that there was a measurable amount left in the pan (that is, if I could tip the pan and pour out a tablespoon of oil), I would subtract that. But I really just drizzle it on there so I figure I am eating the vast majority of it.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I very rarely use any oil or butter that's measurable. The most I use is the spray olive oil which, to me, is so low in calories I don't need to include them in my diary especially when I under log my exercise.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I divide the calorie count of the oil added by the number of servings and log that.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Log it all and just take the hit
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you have a measurable amount of oil left, I'd suggest you're using too much oil.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Use as little as you can and log it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Log it all. And if it's too much, use less oil. You really don't need more than a light misting of oil.