StrongLifts or is there something better?

Options
I am thinking about trying the 5x5 program but Mehdi does not recommend using a Smith machine for squats. That's all I have access to, should I not even bother doing 5x5 without a squat rack?

I am trying to find a decent strength program but I find so much conflicting information. Dumbbells workouts are great, dumbbells suck... strength/cardio is the way to go... strength training will burn fat, cardio is a waste of time... I'm confused.

My goal is weight loss. I have 25 lbs to go to reach my goal and have lost 34 doing HIIT cardio for the most part. I would like to incorporate strength but don't want to derail my weight loss goal. I need a little advice on where to start. Anyone?

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    If you want to maintain your Lean Body Mass (LBM) as you lose weight, then anything is better than nothing. Body weight exercises can do that. Dumbbell exercises can do that. Machine exercises can do that. And the barbell lifts will do that and is the most efficient. If you only have a smith machine, then use it. Use what you have.

1. Bodyweight exercises: You Are Your Own Gym. Just buy the app for your iPad or tablet and start doing them. If you can progress through those, you have a very good shot at maintaining LBM.

2. Dumbbells: add them to some of the bodyweight exercises and start doing barbell like movements with them. Be careful with them, though. You can hurt yourself when they get heavy.

3. Machines: add weight to keep the reps between 8-12.

The above 3 should help maintain LBM, but are not the most efficient at adding strength. If your goal is to add strength, then stay with your 5x5 and do the squats on the Smith machine. Just be careful with that Smith machine. It can screw up the proper motion even at lower weights. Don't go crazy with adding weight. I sometimes have to squat on a Smith because that's all the particular hotel I am staying at has, but my back pays for it if I go heavy.

So, move it or lose it. Do whatever exercise you enjoy and increase the weight whenever you can. Enjoy the ride.

Tom
  • nccheesehead
    nccheesehead Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tom. Think I'm getting to caught up in the "This is the way you lose weight" debate. Just needed some perspective.