People with fibromyalgia do you..

Options
what do you do on the really bad days? I'm currently in a flare and all I want to do is lay around and sleep but I HATE doing that, I feel like it just feeds my fibromyalgia depression. Do you guys just listen to your body or do you push when you can during those very slim moments of motivation on a really bad flare day? Most of my fitness friends don't understand fibro so I thought I would ask you guys ^_^

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having a flare up. Those suck! For me, well, I push through. I don't even wait for motivation. But then, I do not have the kind of lifestyle that allows for other options. I still have to get up, go to work, take care of business, etc., so I just stick to my schedule. Sometimes it helps distract me from the pain. Good luck!!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a spa tub/hot tub? My gym has one, and I try not to use it all too often, but on the really bad days, I at least try to make it there and sit in the tub for a bit...slowly move around in there, maybe even go back and forth between there and the steam room. Some days, just doing that gives me enough strength back to get in the pool and swim for a bit. It's not the lifting or boxing I love doing, but on those days, I do what I can. I have discovered that for me, the longer I go without any activity, the longer my flare ups tend to linger.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    what do you do on the really bad days? I'm currently in a flare and all I want to do is lay around and sleep but I HATE doing that, I feel like it just feeds my fibromyalgia depression. Do you guys just listen to your body or do you push when you can during those very slim moments of motivation on a really bad flare day? Most of my fitness friends don't understand fibro so I thought I would ask you guys ^_^

You know, it varies for me. Sometimes I just need to lay around, but as you say, it's depressing when that happens. Sometimes I do what I must or try to push through and get things done. I have noticed that if I force myself into a walk, I feel better.

I've found with significant weight loss and getting a lot more active, my flare days are very infrequent, and I'm in a lot less pain throughout the day. Doing full body strength training with hand weights (heavy lifting is rarely a good idea for us) has made a huge difference too.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was just wondering. Depending on whats going on (if I have a migraine and dizzy I wait that off) I usually push through it but sometimes it just makes things less proactive. This is my first time with a rash. I will take the rash over separated ribs!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Doing full body strength training with hand weights (heavy lifting is rarely a good idea for us) has made a huge difference too.

Why is heavy lifting rarely a good idea? We have an entire "stronglifts" style heavy-lifting program for Fibro patients at our rehab center and it's ALWAYS promoted by our clinicians where I work and where I am seen as a patient. Who told you it's a bad idea unless it's a rare case? I've just never heard anyone say anything like this before, as it's low impact, which is actually very good for Fibro sufferers...

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't get the depression, and for that I am thankful. Honestly, the best you can do is all you should do. Most of the time, I lift heavy weights - which has helped me more than anything, walk, bike, and am active. I try to do this up until the pain crosses a certain line. Then, I stick with mostly walking as much as I can. If I can't walk any distance, I rest and don't stress myself out with what I "should" be doing. I try very hard to not medicate, but sometimes it can't be avoided. This week, I needed medication to control it, but it has diminished, and I'm ready to get back at it.

Since I started getting serious about weight training, I have had 2 or 3 severe flare-ups. That's over a span of 3 years. I still have mild ones, the kind that make me tired and achy but not non-functional, about once every few months, but the severe ones are greatly reduced.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'll take it easy for a few days but then I'll get up and move.
    you don't have to exercise to lose weight and so on less moving days-i just eat at a deficit or at maintenance
  • jillbotterill
    jillbotterill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On my bad days i max my meds, and stretch everything. I normally spend 2 hours stretching daily. On a flareup i can spend 4 or 5 hrs. I find the stretching really help (especially in a hot shower) because my muscles are beyond tight during a flareup. This xan often relieve alot of pain for me. Then I *try* and walk on my treadmill. It doesnt normally happen....but movement also relieves for me. (And sleep). I have gone from being almost totally incapable of functioning to starting to see my old self again. I used to run all the time. By doing this...i am now walking on the treadmill regularly and soon going to try jogging. Its taken me about 8 months to get to this point tho. Long slow process.

Gentle hugs.
  • RedRiot5
    RedRiot5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree on the hot showers, steam rooms, baths and hot tubs! Doing this and gently stretching usually helps me on most days. I do think that using cold, heat, cold is the best method to allow the muscles to contract, open and contract again (this helps with stretching). I think on bad days it is very important to continue to do things that prevent your muscles from tightening more (i.e. don't sit in positions that put stress on your sore areas, don't forget to drink lot of water, etc). However, you should never push yourself because you think you "should" be doing more. I have learned this the hard way over the last year and have pulled several muscles from lack of movement and then too much exercise when I feel better.

If you are looking for a reference on what stretches you should do, I have found that the series called Classic Stretch is very helpful. You can find the DVDs at libraries and online. Just google "Classic Stretch" and go to the video page to see some of her work.

Consistent, light stretching should be done everyday if you can. We aren't perfect beings, so there will always be days that you can't do things - and that is ok. You should also check in mentally and emotionally with yourself and how its connected to how you are feeling physically. This can help you find triggers and hopefully find ways to minimize them. For example, I am a very stressed out person. I now understand that if I let the stress get too bad, I will flare up fast. It's a balancing act that we all have to deal with, but I hope you find comfort in the fact that you are not alone!!! Just reading some of the responses on this site and others like it has made the process of managing my symptoms easier (because I now know I'm not crazy!).

I highly recommend finding a massage therapist that works with fibro patients so you have a resource on days that you just can't move. I go in bi-weekly and it has changed my life. I would also try looking into The Melt Method, which is all about addressing chronic pain with the use of very soft foam rollers (not like the ones athletes use).

Lastly, I have recently tried Chinese cupping with the plastic self suction applicator and it is helping me out with stretching the extreme pain I have in my neck around my scalene muscles.

I hope you feel better and get lots of good rest this week!