Wtf I gained a pound

Options
I am on 1500 calories a day and walking/running 3 miles a day and I gained a pound wtf is goin on ?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    more than likely it is water retention, and you do realize that your body weight fluctuates about +/- five pounds a day, right?

Also:
    Do you use a food scale?
    do you log everything you eat?
    are you honest with your logging?

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Any number of things. You could be failing to weigh all your food and thereby underestimating your calorie intake. You could be overestimating your calorie burns. You could also simply be experiencing normal water weight fluctuations.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up, I gain a pound after my first cup of water and first cup of coffee. Your expectations of your body are not realistic; your weight is not one set number and can fluctuate a great deal. Weigh yourself before and after dinner sometime to get an idea of how much your weight can change. Food intake, excess sodium, or a new exercise routine are just one of many examples that cause weight fluctuations/water retention.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear...
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Weight is affected by many factors, including many temporary environmental ones. Stay the course, relax, look at trends, not days.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I ate roughly 1200 calories yesterday (i cant be bothered stating the actual logged amount) i swam for an hour and gaine a pound overnight! Lol. Its water. Itll be gone in 3 days time. Just note it with interest and move on.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A pound is nothing to worry about, dude. My weight can easily fluctuate within 3-5lbs within a day. Water intake, water retention, food, bowel contents - all of these things can affect your weight.

Just chill. Track your weight and only worry if it shows a steady pattern of going up over the course of several weeks. Try using something like Happy Scale - it evens out fluctuations to give you an idea of where you're really at.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate 3-5 pounds in a matter of hours. There's no "this is exactly how much I weigh." It's a range.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    this is why I weigh in daily; so I can see the long term trend instead of just the number at any given moment. I fluctuate by 2-5lbs daily depending on my sodium consumption, exercise, and how recently I've 'dropped the kids and the pool'. You will be ok, just keep going.
  • luzerking
    luzerking Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ejb499 wrote: »
    Patience grasshopper

Thank you all for the information it was helpful and entertaining
  • luzerking
    luzerking Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    more than likely it is water retention, and you do realize that your body weight fluctuates about +/- five pounds a day, right?

Also:
    Do you use a food scale?
    do you log everything you eat?
    are you honest with your logging?

Yes yes yes in fact I put in extra calories just in case I was off on some items
  • kmillette15
    kmillette15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight or you could be gaining muscle. muscle weighs more that fat.. Stay focused don't give up....
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Any number of things. You could be failing to weigh all your food and thereby underestimating your calorie intake. You could be overestimating your calorie burns. You could also simply be experiencing normal water weight fluctuations.

As a woman, almost two weeks a month I retain buckets of water weight (okay, not buckets) and I try to give myself an edge by always overestimating food weights and underestimating workout calories. Once I get on track, I'll be more exact, but as a newbie (once again), this helps.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

As a woman, almost two weeks a month I retain buckets of water weight (okay, not buckets) and I try to give myself an edge by always overestimating food weights and underestimating workout calories. Once I get on track, I'll be more exact, but as a newbie (once again), this helps.

As a man, my weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds every day and throughout each day
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    knqc8odsovnf.png

Whoever shows me a linear weight loss chart is a synth. Restrain them.

I can show you a mostly linear weight loss chart, but that's because MFP gets my Friday morning weigh-ins while the app on my phone gets my daily weigh-ins. Please don't restrain me. :wink: