What Am I doing wrong????!!!??!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I use healthstatus.com to cross reference my calories burned, always choosing the lower amount. I am also extremely meticulous when it comes to logging in my food as well as measuring and weighing. I don't pack my measuring cups, I always level them. I have a digi scale, that I will weigh my meats on, at least 3x to make sure its correct. I never trust any of the calories listed for food in the data base. I always use my own, or go to the usda website. As I stated before, I wasn't logging my calories for seasonings but I've had that fixed for about a week now with still no change. I've recently opened my diary, please, have a look if you'd like... I think Im doing the absolute best that I can.....please understand that its only been about a week and a half at 250... with weighing in everyday at the same weight.... as if I'm maintaining.

I know its easy to assume that I'm lying, but I wouldn't be asking for help, if I knew that I was messing up(being very sincere in this.... yes I got defensive with someones response but then I remember that this person does not know me, so I felt I should explain)

OP, no one is saying your lying, no worries there! :drinker:

MFP is full of people (including myself!) who honestly believed they were eating the right amount of calories while using measuring cups and spoons. When I started weighing everything, I was shocked to find I was actually eating 200-300 calories more than I thought, every day.

Having said that, one week is not a stall or a plateau - it's life. Even if you do everything 100% perfect, you will NOT lose weight every week, that's just not how it works. You have been losing weight pretty fast, you were due to have an off week. Take a deep breath, keep doing the best you can, and don't worry unless you go at least 4-6 weeks with no loss. Good luck!
  • holliann99
    holliann99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That calorie target seems really, really low. if you're undereating, your body goes into preservation mode and you will have a much harder time losing weight.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I second the suggestion for a food scale because "eyeing" your food is not accurate at all. You could very well be eating way more than you think you are eating. Measure and calculate everything while you are making it because some people tend to eat it first then calculate it later and not properly account for everything that was in the meal. Also if you dont know how many calories you are burning exactly during a workout via a heart rate monitor, I wouldnt bother adding it to MFP because as another user said, the calorie count could be way off and its usually higher than actual calories burned. Invest in a monitor. Garmin has a good one and Polar has a good one.

Also, if you are accurately measuring everything, you may be under eating if your calorie goal is set at 1200 and you exercise for 30-60 minutes a day as you said. I weigh less than you and I exercise for 30-60 minutes a day and I eat nearly 1600+ cals a day. I have lost steadily for 7 months over 36+ pounds.
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I definitely appreciate you all posting and sharing insight. Its very easy to get defensive and I'm sorry about that! I just want to get these pounds off!!!! But yes! that this is something new- with the cups! I will begin to weigh vs, measure my food asap! Lesson learned, and thanks again!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    holliann99 wrote: »
    That calorie target seems really, really low. if you're undereating, your body goes into preservation mode and you will have a much harder time losing weight.

No...if OP were truly under eating she would be losing weight. If MFP gives her 1200 calories per day, that is an attainable, but perhaps too aggressive a weight loss. Using a food scale will help to determine how much she is actually eating. If she is at 1200, then she definitely needs to eat back some of her exercise calories and perhaps re-evaluate her goals. Faster is usually never better for weight loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    holliann99 wrote: »

Yeah, no. Back in the late 90's i spent 2 years of my life under eating, like maybe a tin of ricecream every couple days under eating.. I think i ended up weighing less than i did when i was a 12 year old lanky teenager. Point is, i never stopped losing weight nor did my body hold onto the calories that i did eat.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Adding more calories will not help. Set myfitnesspal up correctly, eat your calorie goal, magically lose weight.
  • Constant_Nova
    Options
    Adding more calories will not help. Set myfitnesspal up correctly, eat your calorie goal, magically lose weight.

I think I set it up right yesterday finally... I set up to lose 1.5 lb per week, and left my macros at the preset MFP setting. I was given a calorie goal of 1450. I weighed and measured as best I could( I'm starting to weigh all solids today, instead of using the cups! I used cups last night though) I tracked that I ate 1498, though last night was the first time I actually measured my sea salt instead of just shaking it on. I walked my usual 2 miles with a burn of 450( also carefully tracked by cross referencing healthstatus.com and the app that I use- always taking the lower number) and I...... Magically Lost weight!!!!!

my guess is it could be a combination of everything that everyone has mentioned.... I was probably not eating enough, and was getting way too much sodium, no idea but I do truly thank all of you for your help!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A 2 mile walk with a burn of 450 does not sound correct. It is close to double the number of calories I log, but I don't know how much you weigh.
  • Constant_Nova
    Options
    A 2 mile walk with a burn of 450 does not sound correct. It is close to double the number of calories I log, but I don't know how much you weigh.

I am fun sized(5'1) @ 249 today! yay
    I walk as fast as I can possibly go, with out breaking into a run, lol. I have 2 different inclines in my neighborhood that are crossed over 4x to complete the 2 miles...... Trying to build into that run though!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I think I set it up right yesterday finally... I set up to lose 1.5 lb per week, and left my macros at the preset MFP setting. I was given a calorie goal of 1450. I weighed and measured as best I could( I'm starting to weigh all solids today, instead of using the cups! I used cups last night though) I tracked that I ate 1498, though last night was the first time I actually measured my sea salt instead of just shaking it on. I walked my usual 2 miles with a burn of 450( also carefully tracked by cross referencing healthstatus.com and the app that I use- always taking the lower number) and I...... Magically Lost weight!!!!!

my guess is it could be a combination of everything that everyone has mentioned.... I was probably not eating enough, and was getting way too much sodium, no idea but I do truly thank all of you for your help!

A) Don't use cups as they are inaccurate
    B) You ate over your calorie goal
    C) Sodium only comes into affect when you change your intake of it excessively
  • lindajeank1
    lindajeank1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Actually the slower the weight comes off the better off you will be in the long run. You would be losing but giving your body time to catch up. I worked with a person that lost 138 lbs and she did it in 2 years. Her body went down and her skin was not loose. She was wearing a very nice swimsuit in a picture I saw of her. I'm sure not everyone would get the same results but when you do it too quick like on Biggest Loser they almost always need to get their skin trimmed. They lost way too fast to begin with.