Any Nursing students in here?

Options
I start my nursing program in October and worried my mind will only be focused on school. I hate to gain weight while in school. I just wanted to see if any of you have tips to help me stay focused on staying healthy?

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am not a nursing student, but I'm finishing up my Master's in Professional Counseling. It's rough, and rougher while you're dieting.

I recommend taking it one meal at a time, and counting your wins over your losses. There are likely going to be days that are a real struggle. I survive by keeping on-plan indulgent snacks around. Some of my favorites are smokehouse almonds, milk chocolate almond bars, tapioca pudding, and salt and vinegar chips. I find that having a bit of what I'm craving will keep me from having a lot of what I shouldn't later.

Hang in there!
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I finished nursing School and Stayed the same weight the whole way through. You have to make yourself a priority throughout school and life. Once you graduate and start work it will be just as hard to take care of yourself as it is in school. Your professors should tell you that self care is just as important as studying. Meal prep, exercise, and study. Its not as bad as they make it out to be. Have faith. I'm actually working on losing weight now and Life isn't too bad. :)
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Not a nursing student, but I'm currently working on a PhD in chemistry so I have all the experience in this.

Main help I can give is to not fall into the "I don't have time for doing xxx", whether it's meal prep or whatever. Make time. I worked full-time during undergrad, and my hours spent at grad school each week are way more than a full time job. It's easy to say you don't have time for eating healthy (at least, it was for me), but I found that you can generally make time for it if you really want to. For me to get a workout in everyday, I've had to start getting up an hour earlier, which means cutting out an hour of my rare leisure/relaxation time at night so I can get enough sleep.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I start in Sept. I won't let it be an excuse. Success in one endeavor does not mean another has to suffer or fail.
  • kendrickmarisha
    kendrickmarisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Yes I was a nursing student twice. In 2003 in LPN school and again in 2007 in RN school.
    It is easy to want to stress eat when stressed in nursing school. But remember the outcome after you eat the food. Will feel tired, bloated. Will get a sugar high then crash fast. Then the guilt will set in and that's something extra you will have on your mind. And trust me you don't want any extra. So please add me to your friend list and if you need any support or questions about nursing school. Please don't hesitate to message me
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Not nursing, but I am working on the pre-reqs for PA school, which I hope to apply to next year. I go to school full time, work full time as a Medical Assistant in a busy family practice community health clinic, and manage a family that depends on me with 5.5 children ranging from age 14 to coming in October. I also have two high energy dogs that require my attention. I lost around 70lbs doing this, and then have been managing weight gain for my pregnancy doing all of this. Once I deliver this child, I will lose the last 40 pounds doing all of this. If you want it, you will make time to make it happen.

Meal prep is #1. Without it, I would have failed. Fruits and veggies in your bag, ready to munch on. Avoid all night study sessions that involve pizza and other junk.
    I like t25 for workouts. I feel worked over, and with the cool down, you're looking at 28 minutes of your life.