Fitness Guilt

Options
I just want to see if there's anyone in the same boat:

I used to be fit. It was great. Now I'm not. So, now that I'm not, I'm taking steps to losing weight and then getting back into being a bad*ss. To be honest, if I'm logical with myself, I'm doing a great job. I'm eating right, I'm exercising, and I'm consistently losing weight.

But I can't stop feeling guilty. I constantly feel like I can and should be doing more. I know that if I act on it, I'll cause burnout and end up back in the same spot. For example, I'll dance for 60 to 120 minutes (sweat dripping, can't really talk while dancing levels) and then feel like I should go do more cardio at the end of the day.

How do you deal with your limits?

What helps you be more patient with yourself?

Replies

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If I am on the couch watching a show or playing a video game, in the back of my mind I feel like I should be doing something. Then I remind myself that I already lifted or did a cardio workout and I need some time to relax too and let my body recover. I try not obsess about my goals, but when you're working towards something it's hard not to...
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Mentally I know that I need to do this the rest of my life. Instead of 100% balls to the wall approach, I ask my self "can I do this until I die?" and that reminds me to take baby steps and be ok with being less aggressive in my efforts.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    phrunch wrote: »
    I just want to see if there's anyone in the same boat:

I used to be fit. It was great. Now I'm not. So, now that I'm not, I'm taking steps to losing weight and then getting back into being a bad*ss. To be honest, if I'm logical with myself, I'm doing a great job. I'm eating right, I'm exercising, and I'm consistently losing weight.

But I can't stop feeling guilty. I constantly feel like I can and should be doing more. I know that if I act on it, I'll cause burnout and end up back in the same spot. For example, I'll dance for 60 to 120 minutes (sweat dripping, can't really talk while dancing levels) and then feel like I should go do more cardio at the end of the day.

How do you deal with your limits?

What helps you be more patient with yourself?

I think you answered your own question! Wanting to do more, but knowing if you do you risk burn out or injury should help you keep things balanced. Do your scheduled workout and then celebrate your success with a little relaxation and downtime and let your body recover.

Guilt is a separate issue. Ask yourself if it beneficial to feel guilty for not doing more. I say no, it's just a waste of energy. Working out is just a small part of your day. Lots of other productive, beneficial things to do and focus on. Moderation and balance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have a training plan and stick to the plan because I know following the plan will actually get me to my goals...doing a bunch of rando *kitten* just because won't.