Maintaining in summer months....hardest time of the year?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Summer is far easier to lose weight or maintain weight for me as I'm a keen cyclist. Averaging about 5000 exercise calories a week so far this month.
    I also do specific cycling events throughout the warmer months which gives me a time-based imperative to be a certain weight.
    Plus I'm generally just more active when the days are longer and I can get outside more.

Winter is the hard time for me - less exercise, less activity and have to be much more self-disciplined over food.

BTW - I really detest this phrase! "you can't out exercise a bad diet" - a high calorie intake does not equal a bad diet and I don't exercise to eat!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I feel like every season is hard for me food wise. That's why I was fat in the first place. Summer is hard with pot lucks and weddings and camping food. But easier to splurge because I'm more active. Winter I feel like a slug and I have holiday meals and Christmas cookies.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fall is hardest for me. The crisp weather always makes me want to bake and eat comfort foods, pies, cookies, etc. Plus, when not baking, it seems like the back to school, busier schedule, extra curriculars, and holiday preparation provide way too many opportunities/excuses to grab fast food.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel like every season is hard for me food wise. That's why I was fat in the first place. Summer is hard with pot lucks and weddings and camping food. But easier to splurge because I'm more active. Winter I feel like a slug and I have holiday meals and Christmas cookies.

LOL!!!! I'm with you :)
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Reading these replies have been helpful! I'm starting to think it's the family events with an abundance of bigger meals and snacks/beverages outside the norm that is the most difficult aspect to maintain in summer. Don't see them in colder months so routine isn't a problem then even over the big winter holidays. Makes me realize how environment can play a big role in food choices/portions. Still my accountability to own this but certainly makes it more challenging than usual!
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

This is 100% me LOL. Just living in general is hard because I love food so much.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me in the summer. My busiest time of year at work is the summer. Work stress, extra work hours and then guilt over not being able to spend more time off with my daughter over summer break, it all adds up to be exhausting and affects my workouts, attention to logging, etc.

My saving grace is not being a social person with a lot of get togethers to attend. We saw friends on the 4th of July and will see my family this weekend and then have no other social engagements planned for the summer.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Nope, summer is easy with lighter foods and lost of fruit and veggies. Good time of the year to get hydrated too. I don't drink beer and ice cream is not something that I crave either so that helps.

On the other hand and to be very honest, I live in S.California, so we don't have harsh winters that can affect much the way we eat.

Just quoting because my jealousy of mild winters.

Years back, I went out to Santa Monica for a wedding in February. I left Chicago during a crazy blizzard. I'm shocked our flight got out of the airport with only a slight delay.

Upon landing in California, we were greated by a nice breezy 72 degrees. I was in heaven!

Back to th convo, I'm with those who think it's easy in the summer. I'm outside doing more and I hate feeling really full when it's hot out. It makes me feel so gross. So eating less is effortless in the summer.

Winter? Oh man. All the heavy food. :wink:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? Summer is when the high meadows are melted out, and the roads leading to them, for the best hiking, cycling, the only time for outdoor swimming, for sunny skies and long days and warm breeze; summer is the time of being outdoors and burning calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    Reading these replies have been helpful! I'm starting to think it's the family events with an abundance of bigger meals and snacks/beverages outside the norm that is the most difficult aspect to maintain in summer. Don't see them in colder months so routine isn't a problem then even over the big winter holidays. Makes me realize how environment can play a big role in food choices/portions. Still my accountability to own this but certainly makes it more challenging than usual!

Maybe thinking of your calorie allowance as a weekly thing may help? Balance an expected high calorie day with a planned low calorie day for example.
    I find meal skipping is a very easy and effective way to fit in social events involving food, so a "big event day" becomes a two meal day instead of my usual three meals.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I would say just because it's so damn tempting to get ice cream or beer and I'm out and about more. I went to a concert in Chicago Tuesday and it was on a freaking island and your only real choice of food was concert food. Of course it felt like I was melting and a tall can of corona sounded like the best damn idea in the world. Then when the train finally gets back to the burbs white castle is only restaurant open and of course that sounds great at midnight.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I find meal skipping is a very easy and effective way to fit in social events involving food, so a "big event day" becomes a two meal day instead of my usual three meals.

That's a great idea! I'm so used to lower calorie meals many times a day instead of the big family feasts. Cutting out a few of those to allow for heavier dinner and deserts around would keep gains to a minimum.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If I go to a gathering I know is probably not going to have healthy options, I pig out on lower calorie-dense foods like cherry tomatoes, berries, salad beforehand or even bring a bunch with me. I'm not hugely comfortable in big groups because I'm pretty introverted, so I systematically keep putting food in my mouth even when not hungry. It's like it's something to do with my hands and food while watching other people socializing. Having those low density foods with me means I can still do it but without the huge amounts of calories and sodium from chips, brats, sweets, etc. I rarely drink anything other than water anyway so that aspect isn't an issue. Unless there's lemonade. I love me some lemonade.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Summer is brutal for me! We are always way more social during the summer with weddings, lake house parties, vacations, and boating to name just a few. Then comes fall with the tailgating. I keep my exercise up and just watch my cals when it comes to the choice of drinks I choose. During the winter it is cold here and we are way less social.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Way easier in the late spring/summer/early fall because all I do is grill and there is so much fresh fruits and veggies in season to choose from.

In the late fall/early winter, it is a bit more difficult with Thanksgiving/Christmas/NYE, but not unmanageable.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problem with summer since my activity level is just as high no mater what time of year it is as well as my calorie intake remaining the same. The only thing that changes is the fact that I eat more fresh veggies and fruit in the summer than the winter months.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Summer is a killer here. My favorite past time is laying in the pool chilling with a drink in my hand. I am up 5lbs & need to get a handle on my situation... :neutral:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    For me summer is way easier to maintain because it's so hot I am not in the mood for eating. Winter with all the cakes, chocolates, holiday food really gets me.
  • kltodd927
    kltodd927 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have maintained a 50 pound weight loss for a year... I struggle some in the summer because I am a teacher and off work and out of my normal schedule. I think about food and what I'm going to eat a lot more because I'm not as busy. My workouts are great, though, because I do have more time. I am really active, but more free time for me means more time to worry and fret over what I will eat! Plus, we do attend more social events in the summer where I don't have control over the food being served.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Summer time is easier for me too. I get to spend more time outside exercising which helps too. Winter time is hard especially from November to end of Dec and we also celebrate the heck out of football where I live.

My meals on a weekend or holiday are broken down from 3 meals with snacks to 1 bigger meal or 2 meals. I skip meals this day but I also just consume all my calories in 1 meal.