Explain weight gain.

Options
Breizier
Breizier Posts: 221 Member
I know weight movement is not linea but someone please explain this to me.

I have plateaued recently. Then I dropped a pound, gained one then lost 2, all following my normal regime; I'm good with that.

I went away for the week end and gained 7lbs which equates to 24,500 calories over and above that which i burned. My fitbit tells me i walked 4.24 miles on Friday; 8.66 on saturday and 8.75 on Sunday; I am ususally in the region of 2-2.7miles.

Even at a rate of 2k calories per meal, I still haven't ingested sufficient calories to pack on 7lbs.

Please can someone explain to me how this kind of gain happens? Oh and 3 days later only 3lbs of the gain has gone so its not water.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Did you fly? I travel quite a bit and I put on anywhere from 5-10 Lbs when I fly...airplane bloat.

And water can take more than three days to release...
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has been really off lately too. I know for a fact that yesterday I climbed 6 flights of stairs, fitbit said 27??? I have a desk job and getting up from my desk to walk to the bathroom, lunch room whatever... By the time I left work it said I walked over 8000 steps. I know for a fact that I didn't. I'm not sure if there is a problem with Fitbit/MFP or what but something is double counting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What makes you think water weight is always dropped within 3 days? I can gain 4 lbs of water weight in a day and it'll take 2 weeks to lose.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has been really off lately too. I know for a fact that yesterday I climbed 6 flights of stairs, fitbit said 27??? I have a desk job and getting up from my desk to walk to the bathroom, lunch room whatever... By the time I left work it said I walked over 8000 steps. I know for a fact that I didn't. I'm not sure if there is a problem with Fitbit/MFP or what but something is double counting.

Fitbit's stair counts can be messed up due to air pressure (wind). On a windy day when I've been outside a lot, I usually hit 30 or more flights. Once I hit 50 lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds of water from air travel; I can usually see it in my puffy ankles. I once gained 18 pounds while in the hospital for 3 days having an appendectomy. I ate maybe 1500 calories from Tuesday afternoon when the symptoms came on until Friday night when I went home. It took more than a week to drop back to my starting weight minus a couple extra pounds which accounted for the lack of eating that week.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Water weight can take up to a week to dissipate in my experience. It's either water weight or you gained 4 pounds of fat or muscle in a weekend. Which do you think is most probable?

LOL knowing my luck its fat.
  • Breizier
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Did you fly? I travel quite a bit and I put on anywhere from 5-10 Lbs when I fly...airplane bloat.

And water can take more than three days to release...

I nope 170 mile drive. I am going to have to keep an eye out for airplane bloat. I always swell up in heat, Im now wondering if there is a bit of 'airplane bloat' going on when I do travel. And yes I only fly to hot destinations.
  • Breizier
    Options

Grrrr. I havent noticed that it is off for exercise cos I haven't been doing anything other than walking.
  • Breizier
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What makes you think water weight is always dropped within 3 days? I can gain 4 lbs of water weight in a day and it'll take 2 weeks to lose.

OMG. So far I don't think that has happened to me. But I do think you are right I have to adjust the length of time I think water weight will go cos I am getting older.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Breizier wrote: »
    I know weight movement is not linea but someone please explain this to me.

I have plateaued recently. Then I dropped a pound, gained one then lost 2, all following my normal regime; I'm good with that.

I went away for the week end and gained 7lbs which equates to 24,500 calories over and above that which i burned. My fitbit tells me i walked 4.24 miles on Friday; 8.66 on saturday and 8.75 on Sunday; I am ususally in the region of 2-2.7miles.

Even at a rate of 2k calories per meal, I still haven't ingested sufficient calories to pack on 7lbs.

Please can someone explain to me how this kind of gain happens? Oh and 3 days later only 3lbs of the gain has gone so its not water.

I can't explain it but it's happened to me. Like a holiday curse! Plateau, lost a bit, a marginally indulgent holiday for four days (no flying!) with loads of walking and bam! 7lbs. And it took ages to lose. Like it was actual fat gain.

So basically it sucks. I got over it by going back on plan (OK, fine like 2 months of sulking and then I got back on plan) and it has gone. It will go. I don't think too much about holidays, enjoy them and then come back and get back on it.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Watch your sodium and carbs. Sodium should be approximately no more than 1,500mg and carbs depends on what your macro percentages are for your personal information. You'll want to find a macro calculator for that. The MFP presets only usually work if you are starting at a very high weight and as you lose weight you will need to recalculate. With sodium, the lower the better. Water weight is not hard to lose and doesn't take that long to lose if you are watching your carbs and sodium intake daily.