Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cold or Hot temperatures, which one can help you lose weight more?

MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
I read an article in Prevention Magazine that cold makes you lose weight. 63 degrees
http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/how-cold-temperatures-can-help-you-lose-weight
I disagree with this article and others like it.
In cold, I overeat. It's almost like my body is telling me to put on a layer of fat for protection. In cold, I am also covered with lots of clothes, and I know that if I gain weight, it won't matter.
In the spring/summer, I know I will have to wear a swimsuit and wear shorts and I tend to lose.
In the summer I drink a lot of ice cold water and enjoy it. In winter, I avoid water since it makes me even colder.

Do you lose more weight in cold or hot? Do you gain in heat or cold weather?
If you feel weather makes no change. No need to answer. This is just for those that feel it makes a difference either way.

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I spend most of my time in a climate controlled office, so I don't guess it makes that much difference. However, I am far more likely to get out and exercise in the winter months than summer, so I tend to lose more easily at that time of year. Right now it's so hot that when I get home I just don't want to go anywhere or do anything.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    My limited understanding:
    1. Cold weather burns more calories as you body is using energy to keep itself warm.
    2. Being in cold weather increases brown fat which in turn burns more calories even while sedentary.

With that said, unless I am following an intentional eating plan, I do feel hungrier in cold weather (maybe all that extra energy I'm using) and have in the past tended to lean towards high carb, high fat comfort foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    63 isn't cold.

They are talking about the effect of the cold assuming that your eating remains constant.

On average I want to eat more (and heavier foods) in the winter.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    63 inside a house is cold. But I am running my mini-heater under my desk. It's 89 outside but my boss insists on turning the AC down to a very chilly 73!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I wouldn't keep it 63 inside, but that temperature is not a cold temperature.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I lose weight with a calorie deficit. Temperature doesn't really affect that.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    I tend to lose weight easier in the winter. I hold fluid in the summer and chant get out when it is in the 90's
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's winter here and our average temperature lately where i live has been around 17 (63), it's cool but not cold. When i think cold, Canada is the first thing that pops into my head :open_mouth:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I came in here prepared to give a serious answer until I saw the OP's username ^.^

:confounded:
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't keep it 63 inside, but that temperature is not a cold temperature.
    Agree that it's not a cold temperature, because that is often what I keep my thermostat at! (17 Celsius) I can't afford to keep my house warmer :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Eating less than you burn helps you lose more.

Playing with the thermostat may make a marginal difference as long as you reach for the muffler instead of the hot chocolate.

Or to use another example, exercise can help you lose weight as long as you don't compensate by doubling up on the waffles.

Sweating out water weight is pointless. As soon as you rehydrate, boom, you are back where you started.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    63 inside a house is cold. But I am running my mini-heater under my desk. It's 89 outside but my boss insists on turning the AC down to a very chilly 73!

As a brit I find this hilarious.

Over here 63 is rather temperate neither warm nor cold. Wheras 73 is getting into the warmer area. And 89 for us brits is basically unbearable heat!

Haha acclimatisation is a funny thing.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member

You must be a reptilian.

73 is the absolute highest I can tolerate my AC, and I do that when it's really hot to keep the bill down. Normally, I want it about 67 or 68.

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    I'm a native Floridian - for me, 63 is cold!

I find that winter would make it easier to lose weight - it's so unbearably hot outside during the summer that it's a drag to try to run in the heat and humidity. I was ELATED to run earlier this year during the winter and spring when the temperature was hovering in the 60s and 70s with low humidity. When it's cool I'm outside as often as possible.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I feel with the heat 90+ Degrees, my appetite goes down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Being hot or cold doesn't make you lose weight...being cold, your body will burn more calories to warm itself up, but it's really negligible...this kind of stuff is big time majoring in the minors.

Personally I less appetite in the heat so I tend to eat less...but I also tend to drink more ice cold beer. Ultimately it comes down to your consumption, not the minuscule calorie variances at rest between it being hot and cold.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Cold. When it's hot all I want to do is stay inside with the A/C. I can't even stand to work out in a gym if it's above 75 deg. F.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    63°F (17°) is definitely nowhere near cold. That's the temp we keep our house most of the day during the winter (except for a few hours in the evening when we warm it up a bit). And I'd love it right now if Saturday actually got that warm!!

As for losing weight ... it can be done at either temperature.