Whole Foods Market

Options
124»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I went to WF the other day and the woman in front of me spent $770 for her cart of groceries.

Without knowing what and how much she bought, none of us can say if that's a good deal or if she got ripped off. I mean I spent $200 on socks once, nice wool ones, discounted from $15 a pair down to $5, they're great to have in a rainy place like Seattle but they wear out eventually. I'll never have to buy socks again as long as I live. The only way I'd ever spend $770 at a time on groceries is if something I use all the time was massively discounted and I wanted to take full advantage; maybe that's what she was doing.

This is very true. I did this once when GNC was running one of their Buy One get one 50% off sales on the entire store. Think I bought around $600 in Quest bars at one time. But hell, per unit, it was cheaper than you can ever get anywhere else, and that's not even counting the cash rewards on the credit card I use. ;)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I go to WF all the time and can't imagine how you'd get to $770, but of course it depends on how many you are buying for and for how long. (If I was buying that much I'd finally join Costco, though.)

She was pregnant, classy dressed, and her cart was full.

But still. My worst shopping trips are usually around $200 and that's maybe twice a year when I stock up on paper and/or cleaning products...

I'd guess she was throwing a party. If she was doing cheese platters and smoked salmon, that's $$$ right there. If the party was for a milestone occasion, she might have bought decent champagne. A case at $40/bottle would be most of that bill. It also might not have been personal - a friend of mine used to be the chef and estate manager for one of the wealthiest families in my city. She'd cater events for them frequently. Her shopping budget was usually four figures.

I live right behind a Central Market, which is foodie paradise. You can do organic and specialty just as easily as Whole Foods (and pay the big bucks if you're not careful), but since it's owned by HEB, they also carry HEB brands at HEB prices. I don't buy meat there unless it's something less common like pork belly - Sprouts uses the same fish supplier and sells at almost half the cost, and I'm not paying $5/lb for chicken breast. I stick to Sprouts produce for day-to-day meals, but I go to Central Market when I need superior quality or something last minute. Things like garlic and herbs I will only buy at Central Market because they're that much better and fairly priced. Whole Foods isn't far from me, but I never think to shop there because I have better, closer options. The few times I have it's been unjustifiably pricey. I rarely buy organic, so it doesn't do much for me.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband and I actually joke and call it Whole Paycheck lol. The person who said you have to know how to shop there and what items to buy is totally correct. Its not the kind of store (I don't think anyway) that you can really go into and buy your entire grocery order for the week, at least not for us. We only buy select items that we can only find there.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Use to go to Whole Foods only to buy Bariani Extra Virgin Olive Oil which only they seemed to carry. Loved that olive oil but I have since switch to something cheaper but that still has that fresh pressed spiciness to it.

Never go into Whole Foods to buy anything otherwise; just like to look to see what they have and to see if there happens to be anything on sale that I might actually want. Usually end up leaving the store empty handed.